Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3rd day pre op failing and may cancel op

Im usually so smiley and happy but at the moment i feel so crap.

I cant stick to my really simple preop diet - what hope is there for me.

Im really worried and scared and so unsure now. Everything was great a month ago but as the date gets closer i seem to have gone to pieces.

The kids are suffering and my mum is flying over from the uk to help out.

I think i must be a little depressed but shouldnt i be happy?

Help

Im crying as i write this .

Stick to your diet and don't cancel if you don't have to. It is so much easier than you think. You need more discipline for the pre-op than you will after the surgery. I am 2 years and 7 months out and still have maintained my weight loss and know it was the best thing I ever did. I just ate a bag of cheese nips and I did have a Jr. Whopper yesterdy (I ate the whole thing) but I eat healthy too. Just know you will be able to have whatever you want in small quantities and your stomach doesn't know the difference. The depression comes from not being able to eat everything you love because food has been all of our best friends probably. It is going to be so easy you are going to wonder what you were freaking out about.. If everyone could handle the pre-op diet perfectly then none of us would have ever been in the shape we were in to need the weight loss surgery, right? You are going to be so much happier which means a better mother for your kids...

Delite...

Tell me exactly what your doctor prescribed for a pre-0p diet. Perhaps it can be modified or we can suggest some really appetizing ways to make it workable for you.

Wipe your tears and spring into action. This is all about YOU!

TRacy

This is the hardest and most important diet that you will ever have to go on and you must focus and think hard about why you want this surgery. Take a few minutes to sit on your own in peace and quiet. You need to tell yourself that you can do it and you will do it. Get rid of all the crap food in the house if you have to, don't go out food shopping, don't prepare anyone elses' meals; just sit and do nothing but watch tv if it helps. Go to bed if you want. But keep telling yourself over and over that you can do it and you will do it whatever. We are all here for you to talk to but you really need to get your head round this if you are to succeed. You haven't failed yet. You can do it:001_smile:

Don't give up, hang in there. I don't know if this will help or not, but I can tell you what I am doing to help me through those difficult moments. I went to Hardee's fast food yesterday, and I just ordered a cup of Ice Water which was free. and that way I filled up on water while visiting with my family. My daughter forgot that I started my shakes and she brought me some banana nut bread. I told her thank you very much, but I gave it to another family member. I just try to think how important this is and that after surgery I will be able to eat some of those things with family in smaller amounts.

Also, when I make my strawberry milkshakes I try to make them taste better by adding a half of a banana, 6 oz. skim milk, 2 paks of splenda and 1 tablespoon of pecans or walnuts. Another thing I use is about 1/4 cup of crushed pineapple(in its own juice-no sugar added). I also use chocolate milkshakes with banana, nuts and splenda. I use two plastic mugs that has water inside of them, I put them in the freezer. When I make the milkshakes I take one mug out and put three Ice cubes in the mug and pour the shake over the ice. The mug has frozen water in the sides, so the shake freezes from that and the ice cubes in the mug. The shake gets so thick that I have to use a spoon, it was almost like eating ice cream. It tasted so so so good.

I also stay out in the car whenever family goes into the store, so that I won't be tempted by all the foods. If I need to get something from the store I will go hurry in and out and not browse like usual.

Also another thing that has helped me, When I purchased my Centrum Vitamins I also needed Citrate Calcium with Vitamin D, I purchased some chewable wafers and also I purchased two bags of SUGAR FREE-CHOCOLATE CITRATE CALCIUM WITH Vitamin D CHEWS. I can only have one a day, but it is like eating a piece of candy each day. The chocolate chews are almost like eating a toosie roll- without sugar. Just experiment and you will find out that you will find ways to make them tasty. I wish you all the best.

You will be able to stick to the post op diet because you will have just had the surgery which takes away the hunger hormone and allows you to once again make informed decisions about what you put in your stomach without having your stomach tell you falsely that you are starving. Of course the pre-op diet is hard. The carb cravings alone until day 4 or 5 of being off carbs were enough that I had to really think hard (and I am a trained therapist) before I responded to mistakes that my employees were making without just lashing out and chopping off their heads. LOL In reality, I am one of the most patient and empathetic people I know and the hunger pains and carb cravings were making me a road raging maniac from hell. You will be fine. I would keep your carbs down to under 30 grams and allow yourself to eat all the meat and green veggies you can stand. The purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the fat out of the liver--it is not to prove you can stick to an eating plan or to lose weight. It just helps the surgeon move the liver without it being too slippery and too rigid. Just take each meal at a time and don't stress about the entire week of pre-op. It is not giving up food for life--after surgery and it's recovery (one month) you can eat all foods that you want--you will just be SATISFIED with a few bites rather than the whole pan.

Hi all

Thank you so much for your support.. I have had the most amazing journey in the last 12 months. I closed my art gallery / coffee shop in liverpool uk last christmas.

Packed up my husband 4 kids and house (that was hard) and emmigrated to Israel in March. Got the kids settled, nick the husband found a job ive been working a little - now im having the most life changing operation and i wonder why i got depressed last week!!

Anyway even with tucking into the cake i managed to lose 4 pounds. (yay me)

I used to be on a very expensive diet - lighter life last year in the uk and have still got 4 days of shakes left so im going to go on those for the last four days as i find it easier to have 4 shakes a day rather than think about food.

Thank you all so so so much for your support. I will keep everyone upto date with whats occuring (happening) much love and hugs of support back to you all.

Dalite.xxxxx

Ps ive got my smile back!!!!

Hello Delitedesigns,

I am sure that we will have some good days and some bad days ahead of us, but the important thing is to do just what you are doing now----STAY POSITIVE AND IF YOU FALL DOWN GET RIGHT BACK UP AND KEEP MOVING FORWARD. I was able to go to the store to buy my sugar free hazelnut flavored Syrup for my shakes, and I even bought some groceries for my family, but I did not buy me anything. I came back home and when they wanted to eat, I did not cook the food because I thought it would be so tempting right now. I looked over at their plate, but I did not dwell on it, I got busy on here and I made it through that moment of head hunger for some good tasting food. I am so determined that I will make it through this pre-op diet and post-op diet.

I am so looking forward to the day when once again I can eat more of the foods that I was eating before this pre-op diet. I was eating those weight watcher Entrees, lean cuisene, healthy choice meals, and I was eating a dinner plate full of slices of tomatos, cucumbers and green peppers. I know that after surgery I will not be able to eat that same amount, but I still want to eat the same healthier meals. I lost 30 pounds before the pre-op diet just by changing my eating by doing it like that. Oh yes I did have my bad days and messed up quite a bit, but I would just try harder after that. I have a friend that is still losing weight after having Gastric Bypass, and she told me that when her and her husband go out to eat, she orders what items she wants to eat and when she is done, he eats the rest. Of course she can't eat very much, so he has quite a bit left over to eat. He jokes about being her garbage disposal. I hope that we can look back on these days and laugh at ourselves too. I wish you all the best.

Edited by mountain_lover

Dalite,

Good luck to you! You've gotten a lot of great support from the old timers on this board. I'm new and researching and was touched by your honesty.

Dalite,

You have had a lot of major changes in your life, and another one is approaching...it is normal to have emotional ups and downs when going through such changes. Be patient with yourself. Feel what you feel, then move on one step at a time. You will get through this! And you will be glad you did when the pounds start falling off.