Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bird Stuck in my Wall!

Dear all,

I have had a family of starlings nesting in my gutter for several weeks. Now the babies are large and moving about and one seems to have gotten stuck in the wall of my apartment. It's very hard to listen to.

I have no way of getting it out and apartment management will not act, so please please send the little one prayer, that it finds it's way out. It's trying to right now.:think

ohh, how terrible! Can't you call animal control or something like that?

So sad. Poor little birdy. :cry I have a tender heart and don't know how I could stand to hear that. Can your DH cut a hole in the wall and then plaster it over? Just reaching for straws I guess. Good luck!!

i also vote for cutting ahole in the wall. it will die quickly if not. you can also tell the apt complex that not doing something will kill the bird, and then you might end up with a vermin problem. that might get them off their asses.

Your right Amy....vermin problems. Made me think of the smell you may have if the bird dies in there. A hole will still need to be cut b/c the smell will go through the entire complex. Get that hammer out and start hitting.

Hi all. We tried to cut a small hole, and peered in, but we can't hear the bird any longer. So we don't know where to cut the holes.:-(

DO you think it's dead already (this happened this morning)or just quiet for the night?

I'm so upset I ate a second dinner.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, how frustrating.....there isn't a local animal controll that you can call to come help you? Some one from the humane society, they have more experience in dealing with this stuff....poor bird....i dont think it would have died just from being there this morning, it probably got stuck, or got to tired to make any more noise? If you cant hear it though its gonna be hard to get it out.....can u see in with a flash light? Maybe that will stir it back awake or something....

You'd be amazed at how many people I contacted and how they didn't care to help "for just a bird". We are alone in this one.

I'll try shining the light more.

Have you tried the fire dept? They get cats down from trees after all. I wouldn't use the emergency # though. :) I bet it's still alive and scared out of it's poor little mind.

We are cutting a larger hole in the wall to see if we can look around.

Anyone have suggestions on how we can plug this thing up after so we don't get a huge fine from the landlord??

hum...im not a home owners expert, but id tell the managers they ought to pay for it unless they wanted dead bird stank all over the building...

if you google how to fix a hole in the wall you should be able to find something....

Gawd i feel really bad for ya....

Did you find the bird yet?

I checked with my DH and here's what he said:

1. Cut the hole in the wall so you have a square. Measure the hole.

2. Go to the hardware store to get plaster board to fit, also get plaster & spackle.

3. Insert board into hole so that the paper side hangs slightly on the edge. Nail it to any stud if available.

4. Cover with the plaster and spackle.

Do you live near a Home Depot or Lowes? I'm sure they can help and set you up with all you need. Then I would deduct it from my rent.

Leenerbups, your second dinner is behind you now so move forward with a fresh start tomorrow. What did you have?

I wrote a long post out but it was erased because the board closed down due to the constant bickering in here.

*fumes*

ANyway, to say again, thank you 3Loves and your hubby too.

We cut a hole and put our camera in and took pictures. We didn't see anything in there. But the wall is divided by another board(stud). So it could be on the other side of it.

I'm emotionally exausted though and will wait till morning and if I can hear it. If I do I'm going to be a wreck cutting and trying to get it myself.

Someone told me it's probably dead. :)

Angelu, I had 1/2 cup of ice cream and an eggroll. And I ate it really fast. No tiny bites, etc. I'm so afraid I'm going to lose my band or cause complications.

Maybe it found it's way out the way it got in. That's what I'm hoping for. So sorry you're having to deal with this alone. If I were close by I'd volunteer my husband to come patch the wall for you at least.