Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you manage the trip home?

I have up to a 9 hr flight by myself to get home after my sleeve on the 28th, and it scares me to think about the discomfort of it all.

First of all to sit with my arms crossed so I don't get into other passengers seat space, and secondly, what to eat and drink and then have run to the biffy so frequently and all that? Lastly, with several stops and changing planes and waits in airports, what gets one thru it without too much discomfort?

Argggh! Seems daunting to me now, any advice?

I changed planes three times on my way home, and was on for about ten hours as well. I was having problems with loose bowels before I left the hospital, so the staff gave me something to help with that. They also gave me some of the broth they served me in the hospital to take on the plane with me. The flight attendants were great about reheating it for me. My husband explained to them that I just had major surgery, and if it were possible, could we be in a row with just the two of us. They were more than willing to accomodate so long as the seating was available. I made sure to wear really comfortable clothes and to be honest, the flight wasn't bad at all. I actually slept most of the way.

I had a nine hour car ride. My doctor prescribed a pain patch and it helped. I kept the seat reclined a little and rested my arms on my belly. Ask for assistance when transferring or necessary.

I changed planes three times on my way home, and was on for about ten hours as well. I was having problems with loose bowels before I left the hospital, so the staff gave me something to help with that. They also gave me some of the broth they served me in the hospital to take on the plane with me. The flight attendants were great about reheating it for me. My husband explained to them that I just had major surgery, and if it were possible, could we be in a row with just the two of us. They were more than willing to accomodate so long as the seating was available. I made sure to wear really comfortable clothes and to be honest, the flight wasn't bad at all. I actually slept most of the way.

Thanks so much Susan,

lots of good advice there.

I would have thought that liquids over 3 oz were a problem when getting on a plane nowadays. According to what I have read anyways.

I would love to take a bottle of the Isopure I have already bought but that seems to be a restriction as it is over the 3 oz. How did you get around that one?

I had a nine hour car ride. My doctor prescribed a pain patch and it helped. I kept the seat reclined a little and rested my arms on my belly. Ask for assistance when transferring or necessary.

Oh yes, I am very good at asking for assistance. Flew last year to Ottawa from Saskatoon here last May and had just had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks before. I asked for assistance lots! I was able to walk not too bad but, being heavy, was grateful for the wheelchair rides and help with my carry-on etc...of course taking my cane along really helped :drool5: - people offered then.

A pain patch would be lovely too! I will be sure to take my Oxybutinin (for stress incontinence) as it may help with frequent feelings of having to go....

We just explained that I had just had major surgery and was on a very specialized diet and that I would not be able to eat what they served on the plane. I showed them my paperwork from Dr. Aceves and they were very accommodating.

I don't envy you. I only had to fly from San Francisco to Portland. Getting to the airport, going through security, waiting, flying, and the drive home were enough for me.

For me fatigue was a big issue after surgery. I think you might want to make some contingency plans. I can't imagine such a trip a few days after surgery. Also, call you airline and ask if there if someplace you could lie down if you start feeling badly. Be sure to mention that you will be recovering from major surgery.

My very best wishes to you.

I have up to a 9 hr flight by myself to get home after my sleeve on the 28th, and it scares me to think about the discomfort of it all.

First of all to sit with my arms crossed so I don't get into other passengers seat space, and secondly, what to eat and drink and then have run to the biffy so frequently and all that? Lastly, with several stops and changing planes and waits in airports, what gets one thru it without too much discomfort?

Argggh! Seems daunting to me now, any advice?

OMG are you seriously in Toon?

I am in Saskatoon, and having vsg on the 29th of this month!

Just trying to book flights now.

It's either a small world or I'm unintentionally stalking you, lol:eek:

Ivy

OMG are you seriously in Toon?

I am in Saskatoon, and having vsg on the 29th of this month!

Just trying to book flights now.

It's either a small world or I'm unintentionally stalking you, lol:eek:

Ivy

Ivy, OMG!!

Where are you having the surgery?

Call me! 244 1452!

Donna

I must apologize, I jumped the gun and assumed that the flight they would choose for me would be the least expensive and the two stops each way is what I found to be the best seat sale. BUT, Shirley found me a shorter duration one with United so am not going to be as long flying home as originally believed. And only one stop in Denver!

Thanks to all your suggestions I will incorporate any of them as needed!

Bless you all for your help!

Another tip: sometimes if there is an empty seat in first class, if you ask at the gate before you board you can purchase that seat for a minimal fee...like 50-75 dollars above your ticket price. It is worth it in my opinion and I have been able to do it several times.

The worst thing about my flights home was my motion sickness (which I had even before VSG). I wasn't too uncomfortable from the surgery & really had no pain by the time I flew home...most of the gas was gone thankfully!

My dh went with me, so he took care of our luggage. (Even with the two of us, we managed only one carry on & a laptop, so it wasn't that hard to deal with.) The hardest for me was walking at the airport from one place to another...the Houston airport was rather large & we had to go from one building to another. But we had time so we took it easy.

I made sure to buy some apple juice after getting through security. That is what I drank while on the plane. I know many don't drink it b/c of the sugar & calories, but I believe the calories & sugars helped me since that & Water was the only thing I was getting (I didn't bring any Protein with me...it was all left at home).

For my motion sickness, Dr. Campos prescribed Dramammine for me. If you are prone to motion sickness, it might be worth asking for something to help with it. It did help me, but it wore off during my first flight & I felt just awful after we hit some major turbulence.

Good luck!

Where are you having the surgery?

Dr Aceves, Mexicali!

I must apologize, I jumped the gun and assumed that the flight they would choose for me would be the least expensive and the two stops each way is what I found to be the best seat sale. BUT, Shirley found me a shorter duration one with United so am not going to be as long flying home as originally believed. And only one stop in Denver!

Ha, the travel agents I checked with all emailed me quotes over $1000! Playing around online I booked with WestJet for $600. Which is still a LOT but worth it. I phoned them to ask about various things and they made a note in my file to have seat belt extenders ready, and they'll golf cart me around on the way back. Awesome people! I've never had surgery before so I really have no idea how out of it I'll be. I'm a wuss, though. It will be a 7 hour flight! (Does that count the layover in Calgary?)

Ivy

I wished you had called me before you booked. I know there are seat sales. The ones I found were only $259 going down and $219 coming back.

My flight is paid for in my $5000 as I got the special at Emmanuel Medical for the 28th. I called Sept 1st and was first to respond to the ad.

How did you find out about this surgery procedure? Online or from someone else who had it done that you know.

At any rate we are in two different hospitals so can't visit there in person,

but please do give me a call. Perhaps I can be of help. We are getting together with others in Stoon for a support group and are meeting next Wed at 6pm at the Cosmo Civic Center, feel free to come!

Donna

Hey Stoongal-

Clue the rest of us in on these "seat sales." I paid more than that just going from Portland to SF and back.

I wish you and OrchidFan much success with your surgery. Keep us posted. I hope the trip home goes well.

Best wishes,

I wished you had called me before you booked. I know there are seat sales. The ones I found were only $259 going down and $219 coming back.

Thaose are the ones I booked, I was including taxes, gst, airport hijack fee etc etc. I bet we were looking at the same site. :cursing:

At any rate we are in two different hospitals so can't visit there in person,

but please do give me a call. Perhaps I can be of help. We are getting together with others in Stoon for a support group and are meeting next Wed at 6pm at the Cosmo Civic Center, feel free to come!

Donna

Hey, great! Is this a regular support group? I havent been able to find one locally for wls people.

Ivy