Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What prompted your revision?

Well, my surgeon just gave me a complete unfill, and said that because I have had problems with my pouch enlarging on a reapeated basis, that he won't refill me. And, he said "no surgeon would do a sleeve on me because of my current weight," I'm too close to goal. I'm pretty ticked, and feeling "abandoned", as his only suggestion right now is to limit myself to 1200 calories a day, and just "do it on my own". If it was as easy as that, I wouldn't have been as heavy as I was in the first place! After each issue with the band, I asked what caused the problem, how to prevent it etc. and never got any useful information. "Sometimes that happens" was it. Never any warning that he won't refill me. My only other option is surgery to reposition the band, which "should" be covered by insurance.

I'm determined right now to not gain the weight back, but it's a complete change of mindset, going from working on nibbling/sipping all day in an effort to get down enough Protein and Water, to dealing with hunger, and making healthy food choices vs eating what I can get down. I must see though, that I feel SO much better, I'm eating good food again, and am working out. JI'm enjoying being able to eat any food.

Que - welcome to our forum and thank you for sharing your story- I am so sorry for all you have had to go through. I hope that everything will work out for you and I certainly wouldn't take your doctor's word that no one will give you a sleeve -- check around with other bariatric surgeons in your area, neighboring states, even Mexico.

Hello everyone,

I am new here and was revised from the band to sleeve in February 09. Here's the horror story:

I was banded on October 04 and by Feb. 05 had lost 47 lbs. My highest weight at the time of banding was 247. I was happy until I had to be unfilled due to my MS dx in 06. Things went downhill from there.

Due to steroids and other MS related medications I gained all of my weight back. I figured that resuming fills would be the trick. Well I could not tolerate fills after resuming which resulted in a series of small fills and then unfills again. I never lost another lb. Rather I continued to creep up in weight until I was finally at 284 lbs.

Fortunately my insurances, (Medicare and BCBS) both pay for wls so approval was not an issue. I saw a new surgeon and began my year long journey into what was supposed to be a revision to DS.

Once the surgery began, the surgeon found massive amounts of adhesions. My band was gone from my stomach and my body had absorbed it. He actually had to find it. He said that it was as if the band had become a part of my body:eek:. It took him 7 hours to clean up the mess and he felt that I could not withstand the full DS surgery, so he made the decision to perform the VSG giving me the option to have the second stage later if needed.

I am currently down from 284 to 215, I plan to not have the second stage surgery.

Thanks again,

Que

Wow, what a horrible experience. I was so set on getting the band and would have if it wasn't for hubbie telling me that he wouldn't support me with the band but rather with the sleeve. . . so now i'm waiting on my surgery for the sleeve in January. . . I guess I'm pretty fortunate for things that occur on my path of life huh???? Thanks for your story! I'm glad "we're" not doing it. . .

That is not true that no dr. will give you a sleeve if you don't gain the weight back. I know people who got the sleeve who were

below goal weight but miserable with the band and Dr. Aceves took out their band and did their sleeve, all in one surgery, just like he did for me. I gained back 15 lbs from being unfilled and I wasn't about to just keep gaining and that is why I went to Dr. Aceves to get that stinkin band out. It was the best decision I have ever made!

I had my lap band done in March lost 40lbs and that was that. I started having trouble getting food or Water to go down. I just kept trying to work with it, then I started having horrible pains in my side. The tests showed that the band needed to come out. So I had my revision done 6 days ago, I could not be happier with the results. I can now drink without it coming back up. I tried food today and it went down great. I had my original surgery in Mexico, loved my surgeon so I went back. I have not heard of a surgeon who would turn you down for a revision from the band. Do you research, of course Mexico is the least priced.

Good luck!

Bernadette

Hello everyone,

I am new here and was revised from the band to sleeve in February 09. Here's the horror story:

I was banded on October 04 and by Feb. 05 had lost 47 lbs. My highest weight at the time of banding was 247. I was happy until I had to be unfilled due to my MS dx in 06. Things went downhill from there.

Due to steroids and other MS related medications I gained all of my weight back. I figured that resuming fills would be the trick. Well I could not tolerate fills after resuming which resulted in a series of small fills and then unfills again. I never lost another lb. Rather I continued to creep up in weight until I was finally at 284 lbs.

Fortunately my insurances, (Medicare and BCBS) both pay for wls so approval was not an issue. I saw a new surgeon and began my year long journey into what was supposed to be a revision to DS.

Once the surgery began, the surgeon found massive amounts of adhesions. My band was gone from my stomach and my body had absorbed it. He actually had to find it. He said that it was as if the band had become a part of my body:eek:. It took him 7 hours to clean up the mess and he felt that I could not withstand the full DS surgery, so he made the decision to perform the VSG giving me the option to have the second stage later if needed.

I am currently down from 284 to 215, I plan to not have the second stage surgery.

Thanks again,

Que

Question: If you feel comfortable answering this - why did you need to have the band unfilled due to your MS? I have MS and want the sleeve but, as of right now, Aetna doesn't cover it.