Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What prompted your revision?

What prompted your revision? Was it an emergency with the band, or just frustration. Problems with the band, or lack of progress? Did insurance cover either of your surgeries, both or just one? Is there another thread where this was discussed that I missed? I know there was a story thread, I guess I was looking specifically for causes for the revision, and costs.

I was throwing up in my sleep. I got my band unfilled and it went away but it came back. It made me nervous as to what was going on inside that I could not see.

I was a self pay for the band and I self paid for the revision.

OH, second question, how far along in your weight loss journey were you when you had the revision? Is there a point where you wouldn't qualify, self pay or not, because you are too close to your goal, even if that was from the band?

Oregon Daisy, were you still experiencing the issues even with the band unfilled? It's horrible when I'm filled, but ok so far unfilled, except I gain weight. It seems like I can tolerate a smaller and smaller amount of fill.

What prompted your revision? Was it an emergency with the band, or just frustration. Problems with the band, or lack of progress? Did insurance cover either of your surgeries, both or just one? Is there another thread where this was discussed that I missed? I know there was a story thread, I guess I was looking specifically for causes for the revision, and costs.

My port flipped shortly after surgery. I dealt with it for 6 months with my civilian surgeon, and when he did nothing about it, I left his practice. I was at a pain level 6-8 on a daily basis, and couldn't perform some household chores because the band would actually tug on my stomach. The port pain alone was beyond painful. My husband and I couldn't have sex in certain positions because it was so painful. I finally had enough of it in late March/early April and started looking at my options. I could of just had the port repositioned, but I truly believe once I started having problems, they would continue. I was miserable, regaining weight because the lack of being able to get fills properly.

Once my new surgeon was in there, he found multiple adhesions to the band and tubing. The port had not only flipped, but it had caused major scar tissue where the bottom 2 sutures were ripped.

I was happy with my band for the first couple of months. Then not knowing when I was going to be able, and when certain foods would get stuck one day, and go down the next, it was just frustrating. I was so tired of the pb'ing, and sliming.

For me, it was my quality of life was sub-par and I had to do the best thing for my future.

I only had my band for 8 months, and started having pain after 2 short months from the flipped port. It just progressively got worse.

I had the emergency when pregnant. I was at goal for almost 3 1/2 years (and had had another pregnancy in there). I was never able to get the amount of Fluid back in after I had a mc (I had to have it all removed in dec 2005 after needing surgery for late mc) then returned 1.8 ml ....I had had 2.6 before. Then I got pregnaNT again in june 2006.....took out all Fluid in September 06 due to Jordan's continued pregnancy(no problems at this point) after I finished the second pregnancy I was able to put back in 1 ml......took out in Jun 08 as soon as I knew I was pregnant..... the reflux started about 2 hours after I believe conception occurred and the vomiting started about 1 month into the pregnancy and continued till i STANGULATED IT AT 32 WEEKS!

What insurance covered and not covered is still a hot debate. ex...the covered the Dr. emergency fees and the consultation fees.... but not the removal fees. Same eith anethisia..... emergency fee of 250....covered but not the admisitration for the surgery.

They covered anythiong that kept me and the baby alive and him in utereo ACCEPT the surgery. Ironically I was told by one insurance peon had Emerson's heart not stopped 90 minutes or so after the surgery.....they would have covered all the dr /ansethia fees too........ but I think they were confused and it was way to many.....cause I had an emergency c section about 2 minutes after his heart beat stoped! (It was a real bad night)

I got my sleeve 6 months after. I was a self pay for that and my original band. I did not want to gain any more weight back and am well onto loosing what I did gain after the pregnancy

Amazing how ridiculous insurance can be! What a scary story, how is Emerson now?

What was your BMI when you got the sleeve?

I was 15 lbs from goal when I got the sleeve. I gained that back from being unfilled. I was a self pay no matter what. My insurance did not cover WLS of any kind for any reason.

The band was making me miserable so I didn't care. I just wanted it out and I knew I would gain it all back without another WLS.

I was just over 30 BMI at time of revision. I really only ever hung out at 23.5 to 24 bmi...... but according to my PC doctor I had about 30 lbs of hanging flabby skin (my older son loves to sit under the chair and hit is back and forth like bat wings but on your thighs....lovely thought!) So she would get mad at me if I dropped below 160 lbs.

I am 5 ' 8" almost 9" (used to be now I am shrinking in all directions...I hate being old)

And Emerson is doing better than he should be in most areas. But he still has several unresolved issues that Doctors do not understand or get (he is on an apnea monitor 24/7 to monitor his heart rate.....it suddenly drops below 75 several times a day for no reason and will continue to fall till he "blacks out" and then his pace maker (also external) goes off! He also has apnea too..... but suppossedly they are not interelated!

I have given up understanding or at this point even wanting to go to another doctor to figure out what is wrong.....it has cost a tons in copays and tests and no results.....they just rule out stuff....shows up in his heart, but not his heart; not nuerological, not pulmonology , not gastroenterology......!

Ironically they are finally running a chromosome test....... it will be ironically funny if all this is chromosomal abnormality (I asked them to check this at birth due to prenatal test results and they said no reason since they were sure he did not have T-18 or T-21 there fore no reason....... I have five adopted kids with t-21 so this would be sort of humorous !)

OK, so at least my BMI shouldn't prevent me from a self pay revision. I do visualize myself heading there. I'm around 25 right now. I'm also 5'9 and 170 right now.

Wow Jane, you do have your hands full! I have 3 kids and 3 step kids, (2 granddaughters, well, second is due any day now) most have moved out now, but we do have my step son with fragile X (a chromosome defect as well, imagine a Downs Child with autism), my daughter in college, and my 7 year old. I thought having a healthy baby with no issues in my 40's was exhusting!

my devon has autism too..... but hey it make my life fun

It helps that Devon has ds with his autism..... cause he at least visulally is recognizable to most people.....and when he complete melts down (or my favorite "spidermans out in an elevator) he gets a pass from some where others just think his two friend with fragile x have "bad" parents!

And I have worked w/ fragile x adults..... I know I ds is the cadillac of mr causing issues! I keep telling people people we have it so lucky compared to most of my kids friends parents

but I went to Mexico for mine...... in the US i think that would vary by insurance company *& dr...... nut if they are replacing you band I can't see a "moral" issue

Hello everyone,

I am new here and was revised from the band to sleeve in February 09. Here's the horror story:

I was banded on October 04 and by Feb. 05 had lost 47 lbs. My highest weight at the time of banding was 247. I was happy until I had to be unfilled due to my MS dx in 06. Things went downhill from there.

Due to steroids and other MS related medications I gained all of my weight back. I figured that resuming fills would be the trick. Well I could not tolerate fills after resuming which resulted in a series of small fills and then unfills again. I never lost another lb. Rather I continued to creep up in weight until I was finally at 284 lbs.

Fortunately my insurances, (Medicare and BCBS) both pay for wls so approval was not an issue. I saw a new surgeon and began my year long journey into what was supposed to be a revision to DS.

Once the surgery began, the surgeon found massive amounts of adhesions. My band was gone from my stomach and my body had absorbed it. He actually had to find it. He said that it was as if the band had become a part of my body:eek:. It took him 7 hours to clean up the mess and he felt that I could not withstand the full DS surgery, so he made the decision to perform the VSG giving me the option to have the second stage later if needed.

I am currently down from 284 to 215, I plan to not have the second stage surgery.

Thanks again,

Que

Que, welcome to our forums and thank you for sharing your story with us. It sounds like an awful experience to have gone through.

I see you are from Pontiac. We used to spend a lot of time up there when I was growing up. We had a trailer on Lake Cadillac and did a lot of snowmobiling up in that area. Lots of wonderful memories.

Once the surgery began, the surgeon found massive amounts of adhesions. My band was gone from my stomach and my body had absorbed it.

That's why I had my band out. I could just imagine what it was doing inside there. I wanted it out because I figured that throwing up in my sleep was not a good thing, and if I was doing that, what was going on with my band where I could not see if it was doing damage to my stomach. I am so glad I did. Living with the sleeve is pretty much effortless.