Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I can and have eaten a whole...

Hardees big burger at 5.5 weeks out...is this a bad thing? I'm not saying I do this all of the time, but yeaterday my family and I kayaked most of the day and I was starving. I ate the whole burger plus some fries.

I could eat a 6" sub when I was 3 months out.... your not restricted but you should be very careful at this early stage. From what I understand its normal to be able to eat alot before fills.

Since my banding I have never been able to eat an entire burger. I can't imagine one with the bun and everything. But thats just me.

Everyone is dfferent and its ok...I would think you'd need a fill if you are able to eat that though.

My Dr told me that until you get that first fill, your band is pretty much wide open and you'll be able to eat anything you want just like you did pre-band, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD.

What did eating guidelines did your Dr give you? Those should be followed to help you get the most success from your band.

Eating solid foods too early (especially large quantities of them) can slow the healing process of the stitches in your stomach by pulling on them as the stomach works to digest the food. It sounds like you don't have much swelling left, otherwise you could have had problems with that burger, such as PB'ing or putting a lot of pressure on the band, both of which could result in a slip.

There is no way to tell if you've done any damage, but I would be very careful from here on out. Will you be getting a fill soon? If they do that under fluro, they will be able to see if your band is still properly placed.

Take good care of yourself and your band. *hugs*

My main concern is messing something up, but from what I have read and been told, it's mainly throwing up and PBing that causes problems. Right?

I have never done either, so I hope I'm not screwing anything up in there.

I don't think he does them under fluro.....he is only charging me 100.00. How would I know if something is wrong? Today, I haven't really eaten anything and stomache hurts a little. I am stressed which could be part of it.

As long as you tolerated the food and did not have any pain afterwards, you likely didn't do any damage to the pouch. While I can eat ANYTHING and have felt no restriction, I purposely don't eat things like fast foods. I'm getting my first fill on Thursday and HOPE I will FINALLY feel SOME restriction. My surgeon told me it's fine to splurge on a burger on a RARE occasion but it pays to make healthier choices.

The important thing is you spent time with your family, exercised while having fun, and suffered no repercusions from the fast food.

I get my first fill Thurday also. I CANNOT wait. It will be nice not to have to use so much willpower. I usually don't eat things like burgers. I haven't eaten fast food for years. I have to admit though...it was really good.

I think you are probably fine. Following my surgery and before my first fill I was gradually getting back to eating the same as I had before banding. I don't think this is all to unusual. Things will change when you start getting fills. Like many bandsters I can't eat bread. I can only eat the meat from the hamburger and not all of it.

I have days like Friday when I ate 5 chips with salsa, 1/2 a chicken enchilda, 1/4 of a cheese enchilda and a beef taco for dinner. Then I have other days like last night where I ate 1/2 a kids burger and 5 french fries. My band is weird and most of the time I can eat the same amount but every now and then I have a "loose day" where I can eat alot and eat faster. I don't know how to explain it, but I try to just not worry about it.

I get my first fill Thurday also. I CANNOT wait. It will be nice not to have to use so much willpower. I usually don't eat things like burgers. I haven't eaten fast food for years. I have to admit though...it was really good.

I would bet that ONE burger and fries is a lot LESS than you would have normally ordered so don't sweat an occasional deviation from the diet plan. I hope we BOTH achieve some level of restriction from fill #1 on Thursday. I'm a little nervous but that is nothing compared to my desire to actually FEEL like I did have surgery. LOL. Good luck on Thursday.

Oh my gosh, you can eat burgers, with the bun? I tried eating half a tuna sandwich the other day, oh no, I so cannot eat bread. I was in so much pain, I thought I was going to die. Then I sat there and slimed stuff up for 30 minutes, ewwww.

I don't think you hurt your band. I was eating mushies at a little over a week out and am on solids now. He told me as long as I don't eat something that disagrees with me and causes me to vomit, my band will be fine. He said the type of stitches he used are very strong and would not rip or come loose or whatever by eating food.

I cannot CANNOT CANNOT eat bread *lol* so there is NO way I could eat a burger and fries dont go down either BUT without a fill you are wide open so dont sweat it...after Thursday I bet you WONT be eating that anymore...lots of luck with your fill

xo

I'm not flying back to Mexico for first fill....can't afford it right now. I'm going to a local Doctor.

Thanks for the well wishes and thanks for the great advice everyone.

Elisabeth, good luck Thursday to you also. Please keep in touch and let me know how you feel.