Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 18 year old wants VS

My 18 year old wants this surgery in the worst way.

Do any of you have advice or concerns that I should be aware of regarding a teen getting this? She's 380 and has been large all her life.

Honestly, I say if she wants it, and you have the means for her to be able to do this, then most definitely do it!! I have been big since I was twenty years old. What I wouldn't give to be able to get those 22 years back and relive them as a smaller, healthier person. There are so many wonderful things I have missed out on in my life because of my weight. If you are able to provide her with the opportunity to live a healthier, happier life, I say go for it!

I would suggest at 380 a careful examination of her health may be necessary.

Absolutely, positively, in my mind, she should not get a band because of her age. It wouldn't be reasonable to think it would last the rest of her life, and frankly it takes too much life alteration for someone at that age.

She should look for someone doing a small sleeve, so that maybe she won't need the DS down the road.

If you can afford it, you have waited too long, get it done NOW. I to wish I had 20 years of my life back without being a slave to food.

Oh, thank you for your input. My daughter has had good medical attention all of her life. She has PCOS which may be responsible for some of the weight problem. I am so grateful to have found this site! She may get a surgery date in Aug with Dr Aceves (sp) in Mexicali. I know that I will need to be a factor in helping her follow the post surgery diet requirements. I hate it that she has lived this long with her weight. It is very hard for a teen that is big.

I agree with everyone else... go for it!

As for band vs. sleeve, I think that's something you have to take on a case-by-case basis. Some 18 year olds just aren't mature enough for bariatric surgery so having a band means you can take it out and wait until they are older to try again. But, like Steve said, it probably also means a re-operation later on down the line. It's something to talk about with the doctor and your daughter, for sure!

Oh and check out this guy.... he's the son of a guy I used to work with. He's 18 and just got a band and is documenting his journey. Your daughter may find watching someone her age go through the process to be helpful:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jakes-Journey/92292716733?ref=search

I was in Mexico with a woman whose 17 year old daughter had the sleeve last Christmas. She's down 135 pounds or so and her self-esteem has skyrocketed. Good luck to your daughter - and to you.

My daughter also has PCOS. It is very likely to cause weight gain and is a common factor. Also, forcing her weight back down via WLS will help with the PCOS.

My wife went to Dr. Aceves. She is getting ready for her regular food. It is EXTREMELY important with a sleeve to stick to the post op diet. With a band it could cause problems down the road to not follow the post op diet, with the sleeve you can create horrible immediate complications or even death.

Just be sure she understands the post op diet is NOT optional in any way shape or form, and it will be mentally difficult.

Labrys here...

Well my 18 year old with get the surgery with Dr. Aceves on Aug 5. We're starting pre diet liver reduction diet today. Whew! She had been thinking about WLS for a couple of years and now its just around the corner. Ohhhh baby.

That's great - you'll love Dr. Aceves and his entire team -- your daughter is lucky to have a mom like you!

I am so happy that you two have made the decision. If you have any questions, we are all here to support her and you in any way we can.

I just wanted to see how the pre op diet was going. Your daughter is lucky to have a parent that wants the best for her.

I should have done this surgery years ago. I know she will have a much happier and healthier life.

Labrys here...

She's doing pretty well. The low low carbs are a bit difficult but she keeping at it. Just a week to go!

Any advice on the almost all Protein and low (<30grms) carbs diet??

I bet the two of you are a very close mother/daughter team. As a mom, you are awesome. She is going to have a much happier and healthier life because of you.

Speaking strickly from the mental health therapist viewpoint, I believe that your daughter will be forced to deal with some grief and loss issues around food and possibly around self esteem and dating. Please look into finding the right therapist for her who is educated about WLS and adolescent psychology. She certainly doesn't need to suffer unnecessarily from some green rookie who doesn't understand what your daughter has been dealing with. Dr Aceves has a psychologist on staff who might be helpful pre-op or post-op.

That is very good advice. I know she will have to "mourn" losing the old J.D.. I think she will also miss the food. I will seek someone who knows about this for her. thanks