Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Military Hospitals that will do VSG?

I'm in Maryland, and trying to find a military hospital with a decent wait list (would love to get the VSG by Christmas!?!!) - does anyone know of any military hospitals that do it in this area??? I can't BELIEVE Bethesda doesn't have a bariatric center!!

Sheri (tricare standard and retired USN)

See if you can get into the John Hopkins program! ! ! I know of one military spouse (her husband is retired) that was able to switch to the John Hopkins Health plan through Tricare for Life and had her VSG performed at John Hopkins without an issue and paid the normal Standard fee rates.

I live in Lemoore CA and am trying to find a MTF to do my VSG. HELP

Where is Lemoore, and what are the closest within 200 miles of you military bases, posts, or naval bases?? That will help me help you.

Don't count out Prime Remote yet on page 36 of the policy it states they do approve VSG if you have 100 pounds excess weight with co-morbidity issues along with the weight. I am having my Dr. in Austin, Tx send it in to Tricare for approval. Prime Remote is my secondary insurance so Aetna will take care of the first part. I still have to scan in the policy and send it to tiffycins too. Sorry about the delay. Texangrl formerly known as Texasgrl but the system won't let me sign in under that anymore.

Thanks for the fast reply! I have Prime Remote, so I don't think that 100 miles thing pertains to me. Since Tricare doesn't approve the VSG, I was wondering about the MTF's. I won't have any problem getting banded about 10 miles away, so I guess that's the path I'll have to take for now, unless I want to wait for Tricare to start approving the sleeve. The only MTF within 100 miles of me is Scott AFB and they only have a clinic and not a hospital.

Thanks again!

Kristin

Don't count out Prime Remote yet on page 36 of the policy it states they do approve VSG if you have 100 pounds excess weight with co-morbidity issues along with the weight. I am having my Dr. in Austin, Tx send it in to Tricare for approval. Prime Remote is my secondary insurance so Aetna will take care of the first part. I still have to scan in the policy and send it to tiffycins too. Sorry about the delay. Texangrl formerly known as Texasgrl but the system won't let me sign in under that anymore.

No rush chickee ! ! ! I'm so excited because Tricare in Texas falls into Tricare South and that means I can raise a little hell ha ha ha. I think they'll be able to get us on the fact that it's Tricare Remote and not regular Tricare.

I had mine done at BAMC Ft. Sam Houston, TX- in San Antonio. They have a new bariatric clinic there- recently moved from the Air Force hospital -Wilford Hall. Tricare covers all of it if you have a BMI of 35 or more. (For the Lap Band, I believe it is a BMI of 30. ) You will get a bill afterwards for around 35 dollars for the meals.....if you can call them that.

TRicare Prime approved, Wright Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio will be doing the surgery. I do live in the area though. Have you checked into Whiteman AFB in Missouri?

What did you think of your procedure at Wright Patterson, it has been a while since your post and I hope all is well? I'm checking into to see if it is an option for me as I have family in the area and it would be ideal. But we currently live in Charleston, SC.

I just called Wright Patterson, AFB in Ohio and they are not doing any WLS right now. Their primary WLS surgeon is retiring and they do team surgery. So unless you are in the program right now you are out of luck until a new surgeon arrives and there is no ETA as of now.

I had the sleeve almost 2 years ago at FT Sam Houston. We are moving to the Tampa area later this year and I wondered if there is follow-up care and a support group available in the area? I was also almost ready to be put in by my surgeon for a Tummy Tuck at the MTF. With Tricare Prime Retired, are any of these services available in Tampa at or near MacDill AFB?

I had mine done in 2011 at William Beaumont in El Paso. I was approved right away through Tricare.