Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success Diet for Bandsters!!

I have been reading on YahooBandsters & came across this diet that a Dr. tells all his patients to follow & apparently he has a very good success rate. I thought it was interesting.

Dr. Foxkin's High Protein Diet for Gastric Banding patients.

It is based on a baseball diamond working together.

Home plate- is getting banded and then working on getting proper adjustment.

First Base- Use an appetite suppressant to relieve hunger and carbohydrate cravings. Use Phentermine or Phendimetrazine. For a month worth it was $23 self-pay.

Second Base - It is a high protein/almost no carb diet. He describes it as Atkins minus the salads. He recommends patients stay on the diet until they reach goal weight, which usually takes only 9-12 months. No milk, avoid fruits, veggies, and grains. Be careful of hidden carbs in sauces or breaded products.

(Anyone who is commited to a high Protein diet has to follow these rules to the letter. It takes 2 to 3 days for the body to switch to fat burning. Consume a lil' carbs and you are back to a glucose burning metabolism and can lose the effect of the 2 or 3 days of fat burning. If you eat good during the week and eat normal on weekends say bye-bye to the drastic results. You can use something like Keto-stics to make sure ketones are present in your urine.)

Third Base -Exercise intervention on a daily basis. They recommend Curves, Curves look-alikes, or anything aerobic done for at least 30 minutes per day. No matter what level you are at it is important to just start moving even seated exercise videos can be a great place to start.

Using all the above together the next step is Home plate!

Home plate - Is reaching your goal. He considers a Home Run getting to a size 9 or smaller for women. (He is known for liking his patients very skinny. He wanted me to shoot for a size 6 but I haven't been that since third grade. I was very happy at a 10/12 when I lost to goal before but we agreed I'd shoot for a size 9. Hell I'd love to get to a 9 or smaller but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.)

He says most patients will lose at least 15 lbs a month with the band adjusted right and following the Foxkin plan. He says even non-bandsters have good luck with it.

He also recommends maintaining adequate protein, Vitamin and mineral levels for optimum weight loss

-90 or 120 grams protein supplement (unless your doctor thinks you need more)

-Vitamin and mineral supplement like the pink bottle from Vita4Life. Although he thought the GNC orange liquid Multi-Vitamin and mineral supplement (I think I'm going to use the orange Centrum chewables next)

-Calcium Citrate 3500-4500mg

I think this sounds like an attempt to get RNY-like results from bandsters. Why? And what kind of doctors "likes his patients skinny"? That's absurd. Patients should be HEALTHY, not "skinny" and not every woman is going to fit into a size 9 (which not an adult woman's size I've ever seen--is there such a thing?) no matter how much weight they lose.

Ugh. No matter how you slice it I hate these one-size-fits-all approaches. It always sounds like snake oil to me.

I don't get it. Sounds awful. I got the band so I could eat like a normal thin person. This sounds like a diet! If I could diet, I wouldn't need the band. :confused:

JMHO

That sounds a little crackpot to me - appetite suppressants?. The whole point of being banded is so that you dont have to do that type of desperate stuff anymore.

But all info is helpful and it probably suits the way many people like to eat so it was nice of you to post it.

Ya know? IF I could follow that diet I am sure I would lose weight BAND or NO BAND.. If you can live like that, what is the point for the band? This dr. sounds like a nut job.. But thats only my opinion..

Jmoe

Well... I agree that this would lead to weight-loss but it doesn't sound like a person would be learning a "livable" way of eating. When I told my adopted surgeon that I would be happy with a goal of 170... He promptly let me know that HE would be happy if my goal was 150... I smiled and politely told him this journey was about me and my health and happiness... not his. :confused:

I agree that we don't need the bad carbs like rice, potatoes, bread (white), white noodles, but I disagree that we shouldn't eat veggies, fruits and whole grains (in moderation).

IMHO, protiens and lots of veggies is the way to go (with fruit in moderation).

When I told my adopted surgeon that I would be happy with a goal of 170... He promptly let me know that HE would be happy if my goal was 150... :confused:

When I told my surgeon I would be happy under 200 and ecstatic at 165, he said, "Great! That's very realistic and shows you've done your homework."

I think if you are following the Band rules and eat Protein first you are pretty much on a low-carb diet. I eat Protein first and if I am still hungry I eat salad or other vegtables next but that rarely happens. It is a very occassional thing if I am able to make it through the protein much less on to the carbs or anything else.

I haven't set a goal weight and my Dr. is okay with that. I am hoping that I just know it when I get there.

No veggies? No fruits? That just seems insane to me. I believe in a well-rounded diet and feel that fruits and vegetables are an essential part of a healthy diet. I think nutritionists would agree with that as well. Additionally, I love milk and milk is very healthy. It promotes strong bones and aids with weight loss. As far as appetite suppressants, forget it. Those things make me crazy. I have a band, that is my suppressant.

Sounds like a Atkins diet to me. Just eating less.

While I was on atkins I would try to keep my carb intake to 30 g or less.

It does work and would be good if u are at a stall.

Joe

"Fat-burning" as described by this MD is putting the body in a state of ketosis. This is NOT healthy and is especially dangerous for any people with kidney problems/disease. I'd be interested to see how many patients actually KEEP the weight off.