Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

something new - Gastric Sleeve

Guest chell1957@LBT
Sign in to follow this  

Guest MicheleK@LBT

Carol, I don't think anyone was trying to make you feel unwelcome. I'm sorry you feel that way, I'd like to hear about your sleeve experience if for no other reason then my own information.

It's sometimes hard to type things in the correct "tone". I'm sorry if you got offended. I hope you continue to share your experience with us.

Originally posted at www.lapbandtalk.com

Guest asnewme1@LBT

This is why you need to research it yourself.

There is no dumping,

No Pbing at all,

You cannot 'go septic and die',

it does not stretch over time just like the bypass.

There have been no long term studies to show that you can stretch the stomach, although I am sure if you dont stop eating you will put weight on... just like the band, the bypass, the balloon etc...

Dear Caroliii, I just went to the doctor and he strongly recommended the sleeve for me and I jumped on it. The band would have been a huge improvement over my present situation (which is nothing), but the sleeve seems to be a much better and simpler choice for me. He said that Oxford is the only local insurance company that will pay for the sleeve which is why you don't hear about it so much. I would love to hear from you directly about your experiences with the sleeve. The one where they remove the stretch part of the stomach is the type he is recommending for me- I think it is called vertical sleeve gastrectomy. alteredinterior@optonline.net

Guest Carol111@LBT

See I am in Australia and insurance doesnt play a part in if you choose the sleeve or the band or any other form of weight loss surgery. So I dont have any knowledge on that sorry.

You are on the right track! the Sleeve Gastrectomy removes the majority of your stomach, in fact up to 80% of it. In removing this, they are taking away the stomach tissue that creates a hormone called Grehlin. Now, Grehlin is the 'hungry' hormone, so when you have such a big stomach from over eating, or for whatever reason, all of that stomach is creating this hormone that seems to make you want to eat all the time, and never satisfied. When this is removed, so is the hunger, and that is why you might hear some Sleevers saying they need to remind themselves to eat, and it does take some getting used to!!

I totally agree with any healthy positive way to lose weight. Whether its the gastric bypass, the balloon (which is so ancient now!), the band or the sleeve.

Asnewme1, make sure you do all the research, then you will know for sure if the sleeve is the best thing for you to choose. You may find another way that you think is better!! Dont just do whatever the doctor said sounds good to him/her, do your homework, then when you make your decision, you will feel confident that you have chosen it for you and only you. Thankyou for your email, I will keep in touch.

Carol.

Guest Carol111@LBT

Thankyou Michele, your post was very kind.

I am hoping I did take a few of the posts the wrong way!! I hope I havent caused any problems. I always say that when we speak, we speak in a rainbow of colors. But we type in Black and white only, so yes it is easy to misconstrue what others are saying. I am sorry if I have gotten it all wrong.

Carol.

Guest LynnN@LBT

Carol111

Please don't leave the forum! Many of us have been "lurking" here trying to learn as much as possible about all of our options before we decide on a procedure. I'm still only about 75% convinced that Lap-Band is the best alternative for me. I want everyone's opinion on their surgeries. I want to learn the good, the bad, and the ugly. This thread said "gastric sleeve" and that's what I expected to read about.

Guest asnewme1@LBT

Caroliii

It is so amazing that I am in Bedford New York comparing information with someone in Australia. Australia seems to be in the forefront bariatric surgery- are they doing more sleeves than they used to? How much have you lost? Were you in a lot of pain after the surgery and if you were, then for how long? Thanks for staying.

Guest Carol111@LBT

Hi, this procedure has only been performed in Australia for around 3 years, it is pretty fresh. They are doing much more sleeves now, and even though my surgery was priority because of the hospitals mistakes with my band, the waiting time 6 months ago was only a few months. Now its more like 8-12 months! I just am so happy that I have found something that is working so well for me. My father has a lapband, and he looks at me wishing he had known about the sleeve before. But never mind, he is at his goal weight now.

Guest asnewme1@LBT

Dear Caroliii, I took your advice and signed up at the sleevers forum in Australia- Hayley and Chrisbychic seem very welcoming, and I kind of like that it is a much smaller site than this one. I didn't see you on the lineup but maybe you are listed under a different name? Anyway I am on my way with the preop part, and I am committed to the sleeve, so now I am going to sit back and enjoy the journey. Best of luck and health to you and thanks so much for steering me to the other site.

Dear Caroliii, I just went to the doctor and he strongly recommended the sleeve for me and I jumped on it. The band would have been a huge improvement over my present situation (which is nothing), but the sleeve seems to be a much better and simpler choice for me. He said that Oxford is the only local insurance company that will pay for the sleeve which is why you don't hear about it so much. I would love to hear from you directly about your experiences with the sleeve. The one where they remove the stretch part of the stomach is the type he is recommending for me- I think it is called vertical sleeve gastrectomy. alteredinterior@optonline.net

hi i thinking of having the sleeve buthow does the insurance from oxford work many thanks

Hey there,

This post was originally from 2008 and somehow got resurrected. Many things have changed with insurance since the original posting. Your best bet is to check with your current health insurance carrier.