Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet

So, I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I don't go to my nutritional class until Wednesday, so I'm hoping I can get by on my own for a day. I was told on the phone today that it had to be sugar-free and low-fat liquids. When I met with the nutritionist during my consult, she mentioned it could be things like cream of chicken Soup, etc.

I'm a little nervous about these next two weeks. Did anyone here have to follow a similar pre-op diet?

Nothing has been mentioned yet about Protein, but I'm sure I won't be able to do without it. I didn't buy any Protein shakes tonight because I couldn't find sugar free stuff. I read about something called powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury...wondering if that's something I could handle?

Edited by ash

So, I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I don't go to my nutritional class until Wednesday, so I'm hoping I can get by on my own for a day. I was told on the phone today that it had to be sugar-free and low-fat liquids. When I met with the nutritionist during my consult, she mentioned it could be things like cream of chicken Soup, etc.

I'm a little nervous about these next two weeks. Did anyone here have to follow a similar pre-op diet?

Nothing has been mentioned yet about Protein, but I'm sure I won't be able to do without it. I didn't buy any Protein shakes tonight because I couldn't find sugar free stuff. I read about something called unjury...wondering if that's something I could handle?

My post-op diet was high protein, low carbs (less than 30 g day) ... I ate lots of eggs, cheese and fish and some veggies. Steered clear of most fruits and only ate SF popsicles, Jello or pudding.

Okay, so just a little venting here...and I know it's silly and I need to just suck it up, but I'M HUNGRY AGAIN. Stomach is growling and I just cannot get over the smell and taste of Protein Powder. My husband complains that my sense of smell is TOO good. This is only my 4th day. We're going to TWO bbq's tomorrow. It is going to be a long day! And I'm not craving anything other than saltine crackers. Weird, huh???

Okay, so just a little venting here...and I know it's silly and I need to just suck it up, but I'M HUNGRY AGAIN. Stomach is growling and I just cannot get over the smell and taste of Protein powder. My husband complains that my sense of smell is TOO good. This is only my 4th day. We're going to TWO bbq's tomorrow. It is going to be a long day! And I'm not craving anything other than saltine crackers. Weird, huh???

So have some saltines and see if it cures your craving - can't be that many carbs in a few crackers.

So have some saltines and see if it cures your craving - can't be that many carbs in a few crackers.

Actually doing that will probably make the cravings worse. Think of it as carb withdrawal. ;o)

I have started the pre-op diet as well....and quit smoking-----the benifit is that I have lost 5 lbs. However I have cravings for a smoke......lol When I want a crunch---I eat cukes with balsamic vinegar on them. Mix it with a salad yummy!

I have started the pre-op diet as well....and quit smoking-----the benifit is that I have lost 5 lbs. However I have cravings for a smoke......lol When I want a crunch---I eat cukes with balsamic vinegar on them. Mix it with a salad yummy!

And I am so HAPPY he's quit smoking ... now he doesn't have to shower just to kiss me and I can't smell him from across the room. :biggrin0:

That's awesome! So glad you hwere able to quit. :001_smile: Wish I could get my husband to lose the dip, but I guess I can live with that over the smokes. I would kill for some cucumbers right now. That sounds delish! Too bad they aren't liquid!

Well, I stayed away from the crackers. I tried sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast, and mixed with skim milk, that's 13 grams of Protein, so I'll take it. I can actually TASTE the Protein in the special K pink lemonade. Didn't notice it in the strawberry kiwi flavor though. Weird, huh?

I don't know if you can have this but I take cucumbers and tomatoes and blend them well. then i put them in the freezer until almost frozen for a treat in the summer. My mother always made these for us growing up. I'm the youngest of 8 and all but 1 of us loved these.

I don't know if you can have this but I take cucumbers and tomatoes and blend them well. then i put them in the freezer until almost frozen for a treat in the summer. My mother always made these for us growing up. I'm the youngest of 8 and all but 1 of us loved these.

I would think you could have them on the mushie stage -- and it sounds really good -- I may have to try that.

I don't start my pre-op until July 29 (surgery is Aug 13) but the surgeon gave me a list. It allows sf popsicles, sf Jello, low carb yoguart or cottage cheese every two hours with sf, decaffinated drinks in between. Then Clear Liquids only two days before surgery. It also said the popsicles and jello could not be red or purple. I guess that leaves lime jello. Hmm....:thumbup:

How's it going today? It's hard to imagine "eating" like this for two weeks. Sure it will be worth it though. Best of luck to you!!!

I don't start my pre-op until July 29 (surgery is Aug 13) but the surgeon gave me a list. It allows sf popsicles, sf Jello, low carb yoguart or cottage cheese every two hours with sf, decaffinated drinks in between. Then clear liquids only two days before surgery. It also said the popsicles and Jello could not be red or purple. I guess that leaves lime jello. Hmm....:thumbup:

How's it going today? It's hard to imagine "eating" like this for two weeks. Sure it will be worth it though. Best of luck to you!!!

Green Jell-O. Gahhh

What about orange? Grape? Tangerine? Can you have small amounts of fruit? Canned manderine (sp?) oranges in orange jello is pretty good.

Also, if you want raspberry, grape, or cherry popsicles they have sugar free, coloring free (looks like water) kool aid now. Couldn't you freeze that for more flavor variety?

I don't start my pre-op until July 29 (surgery is Aug 13) but the surgeon gave me a list. It allows sf popsicles, sf Jello, low carb yoguart or cottage cheese every two hours with sf, decaffinated drinks in between. Then clear liquids only two days before surgery. It also said the popsicles and Jello could not be red or purple. I guess that leaves lime jello. Hmm....:blush:

Well, today has not been good. I'm thinking I'm getting too many carbs even though the list I have includes 100% juices. And because I can't stomach the powdered Protein , I've been drinking a lot of special K Protein Water. My diet also says clear liquids only the day before surgery, but I might try do do mostly clear liquids from now on. This is hard, for sure, but until today, I have done my best.

I must confess, I cheated today. I ate some crackers that I'd been craving. I have done nothing but kick myself since then.

Congrats on your surgery date!! :thumbup:

My advice - don't go to all clear liquids before surgery. You are going to be so sick of them after surgery, I can't imagine adding it before surgery. That was the worst part of the surgery - the ten days of clears afterwards. fruit juice is HIGH in carbs. I'd rather get it in the fruit itself or some other healthy food.< /strong>

My advice - don't go to all clear liquids before surgery. You are going to be so sick of them after surgery, I can't imagine adding it before surgery. That was the worst part of the surgery - the ten days of clears afterwards. fruit juice is HIGH in carbs. I'd rather get it in the fruit itself or some other healthy food.< /strong>
I went back and read my bari-bible and it said to switch to clear liquids the day before surgery. I will do it then, but you're right...I need a little variety. Luckily for me, clear liquids after surgery is only for the first 3 days. I can move to full liquids on day 4.