Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of using Dr. Aceves in Mexico

I will be the first to agree with everyone about Dr Aceves. He was very kind and attentive. He notiiced I was anxious about something and at the moment sort of distracted from his talk (I have an anxiety disorder) so he stopped and asked me about it and asked several times during my stay if I was ok and was feeling calmer. He even came by to thank me when I was the one who was to thank him. I told him he was a big hit on this site and with his patients raving about him, we would keep him busy. He actually blushed. PS. He loves sugar babies and loves it when someone brings him a bag or box of them.

I just had an appointment with Dr. Aceves today. It was my first and he actually took 1 hour of his time to see me between surgeries. I am a registered nurse (surgical) who has been having problems with my band and went to him. I was SO impressed.

I took another surgical nurse with me. When we arrived, they told us to take a tour of the hospital. Well.... off we went (on our own). We literally did the white glove check. It was spotless. We went into rooms, everywhere. Couldn't believe how clean it was. They must have cleaned (swept the floor and mopped) the entrance to the hospital at least 5 times in the short time we were waiting to see the Doctor. Honestly, it was so clean that I really feel I could have eaten food off the floor.

Anyway, I had my time with Dr. Aceves. Their sterile technique was impecable. Honest to god, made my American "Doctor" look like a pig!!

I basically went in with the attitude that I was gonna get a revision to a sleeve come hell or high Water. Well, he actually listened to everything I had to say. Read all my medical records that he thought appropriate. He felt that I needed to give my band more time. Explained the reasons for his opinion and honest to god every thing he said made so much sense. He was not like the greedy American surgeons who would have had the attitude of "sweet jesus, here is another person I can cut on and make money". Honestly, he could have just said O.K. and scheduled me for a revision. It takes a classy, professional, above board physician to do what he did by talking me into trying something else to conservatively attempt to fix the problem before cutting. MONEY was NOT his object. What was BEST for ME was his object/goal. Honest to god, in my 29 years of being a nurse and working in several different countries in a nursing supervisory position, he is one of the best physicians I have ever come across.

He has agreed to accept me as his patient for continued follow up. I am so, so, so happy.

Good for you. Its always nice when someone doesnt take advantage of you, that speaks alot of Dr. A's character. Wow, its alot of nurses on here, how cool.

Thanks for the great update and information.

I am just waiting to actually schedule my surgery date with him, with each post I feel more and more confident with my decision.

I'm an RN also and had surgery with Dr. Aceves. Yes, complications are covered. For example, one person had a "funny looking liver" and Dr. Aceves did a biopsy at no charge. He stands by his surgery but hasn't had a leak so there's no complications. LOL.

I told two people and went to Mexico alone. Both were ready to have a stroke that I was (a) having surgery in Mexico and (:o traveling alone and both are the only ones who knew I was having the revision to VSG from the band. I worked a 13 hour shift, went home and showered, grabbed my luggage, and flew 6 hours to San Diego from N.Y.

The care at Almater Hospital was great and the hospital was immaculate. Pre-op testing was fast and efficient and the Lucerna resort was beautiful. I saw the surgeons 3 times a day and all the RN staff are BSN prepared. Grab your fiance and tell your family you're going on a short vacation. This is for you and not them.

This may sound like a dumb question but do you need a passport to go to Mexicali? I have one, just thinking about my fiance'. I want to say that I read that you dont need one??? But that doesnt sound right.

This may sound like a dumb question but do you need a passport to go to Mexicali? I have one, just thinking about my fiance'. I want to say that I read that you dont need one??? But that doesnt sound right.

Shanda, your fiance will not need a passport to get into Mexicali -- HOWEVER if he wants to LEAVE Mexicali, as of June 1st passports are required.

As for the people cleaning, they never stopped during the day and early evening hours - they must have come in and emptied my trash cans at least 2-3 times a day and mopped the floors twice.

Plus you get clean sheets and a fresh made bed every morning.

I didn't wait more than 1 minute (usually even less than that) whenever I pushed the nurse call button.

The hospital is very small -- I think there are 10 rooms on Dr. Aceves unit and the nurse station is right in the middle and every room is quickly accessible.

Shanda, your fiance will not need a passport to get into Mexicali -- HOWEVER if he wants to LEAVE Mexicali, as of June 1st passports are required.

As for the people cleaning, they never stopped during the day and early evening hours - they must have come in and emptied my trash cans at least 2-3 times a day and mopped the floors twice.

Plus you get clean sheets and a fresh made bed every morning.

I didn't wait more than 1 minute (usually even less than that) whenever I pushed the nurse call button.

The hospital is very small -- I think there are 10 rooms on Dr. Aceves unit and the nurse station is right in the middle and every room is quickly accessible.

Yep, that is important to know. We wouldnt want him to get stuck in Mexicali, LOL. Oh wow, he has his own UNIT? That is cool with 10 patients it sound like they have a low nurse to patient ratio and are able to be attentive to their patients.

Thanks again for your update:thumbup1:

Yep, that is important to know. We wouldnt want him to get stuck in Mexicali, LOL. Oh wow, he has his own UNIT? That is cool with 10 patients it sound like they have a low nurse to patient ratio and are able to be attentive to their patients.

Thanks again for your update:thumbup1:

They are very attentive - however, they bother you -- if you need them they are there or if they need to take your vitals or administer meds, they come in, do it and leave -- unless you engage them in conversation. My favorite was Francsico - not only was he very easy on the eyes, he spoke good english and took my teasing very well. They are very, very polite and always knock on your door if it is closed and wait for you to say come in.

The new Passport cards are acceptable for non-air travel, so it would work for getting back to San Diego from Mexicali. That is what DH and I got for our trip to Mexicali. It was less expensive, so that was a plus. :o

The new Passport cards are acceptable for non-air travel, so it would work for getting back to San Diego from Mexicali. That is what DH and I got for our trip to Mexicali. It was less expensive, so that was a plus. :laugh0:

Oh ok, that is cool, we will probably get that one 4 him. Thanx for the info.

The new Passport cards are acceptable for non-air travel, so it would work for getting back to San Diego from Mexicali. That is what DH and I got for our trip to Mexicali. It was less expensive, so that was a plus. :laugh0:

What are those? I haven't heard of those ... we got ours about 18 months ago for a cruise so we just used them.

What are those? I haven't heard of those ... we got ours about 18 months ago for a cruise so we just used them.

They are relatively new. They are simply cards (looks like your driver's license) that has a chip in it that has all of your information. They can only be used for land travel. I like it because it's very easy to travel with. Plus, we don't plan on flying out of the country anytime soon, so it saved us some money.

Here's a link to it.

U.S. Passport Card

ETA: the chip on the card doesn't hold your personal info, it links to a secure govt database.

Anyway, I had my time with Dr. Aceves. Their sterile technique was impecable. Honest to god, made my American "Doctor" look like a pig!!

I basically went in with the attitude that I was gonna get a revision to a sleeve come hell or high Water. Well, he actually listened to everything I had to say. Read all my medical records that he thought appropriate. He felt that I needed to give my band more time. Explained the reasons for his opinion and honest to god every thing he said made so much sense. He was not like the greedy American surgeons who would have had the attitude of "sweet jesus, here is another person I can cut on and make money". Honestly, he could have just said O.K. and scheduled me for a revision. It takes a classy, professional, above board physician to do what he did by talking me into trying something else to conservatively attempt to fix the problem before cutting. MONEY was NOT his object. What was BEST for ME was his object/goal. Honest to god, in my 29 years of being a nurse and working in several different countries in a nursing supervisory position, he is one of the best physicians I have ever come across.

He has agreed to accept me as his patient for continued follow up. I am so, so, so happy.

HAHA~ Didn't I tell you? See why when I was banded I drove to Mexicali for my fills?

You need a passport book OR a passport card. The card is cheaper. It's really easy, you just make an appt with your post office for a passport, fill out a form, bring your original birth certificate, and your drivers license. They ask you to some questions and that's it.

You don't even need a passport yet, what you DO need is proof that you applied for it. I know that is good for this month and next. You have to have at least applied for it and the receipt is good enough. But that is not forever, that is just for this month and next.

If you have never had a passport before the passport "card" is $45, the passport "book" is $100.

Yep, Ive heard of those. I went to Puerto Rico in March and I just decided to get a Passport (but didnt need one) any way, they give you the option of getting a passport card vs. the traditional one. The passport card is more limited on where you can go, etc. I think its recommended for cruises, etc. Things like that. But it was less expensive than the traditional PP that we are use to.

Also, did you get to do any site seeing where you were in Mexicali? I love to travel and I was considering going a few days earlier. Never been to San Diego, CA but have been to the LA area. So I was wondering if there was anything worth going early to see???? Might as well make a vacation out of it.:laugh0:

They are relatively new. They are simply cards (looks like your driver's license) that has a chip in it that has all of your information. They can only be used for land travel. I like it because it's very easy to travel with. Plus, we don't plan on flying out of the country anytime soon, so it saved us some money.

Here's a link to it.

U.S. Passport Card

ETA: the chip on the card doesn't hold your personal info, it links to a secure govt database.

That's a great idea - I'm surprised they aren't advertising/pushing that nmore. I'll have to remember about it to tell others. THANKS!

WasA has a great email on Dr. Aceves and all his credentials. My daughter is an Rn and she was really freaked out about me going to MX. She felt so much better after I forwarded WASa's email to her.

I still have it and can send it to you , or I am sure WasA will send it to you.

I loved Mexicali. I had a blast there. It would have been more fun if I had somebody with me, but the lady I met on the ride over from San Diego was from Texas and spoke Spanish.

We took a taxi ride to the mall, and it was a big mall. It was hard for me to see t shirts and stuff in Peso prices. I wish I had bought some clothes, but I wasn't sure how much weight I would lose.

I am a big fan of Dr. Aceves and all his staff as well. I thought Sergio was extremely nice nurse and he always made sure to bring Dr. Campos' computer to me at 3:00 when they were done with it, and they let me use it until the next morning.