Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ziploc Omelettes

I have heard of this... but still haven't tried it!!!

I am going to do it this weekend! YUMMY! I love omelettes, but too lazy to make them.

What a fantastic idea. We often have omelette's and salad for dinner to have a cheap meal, feeding meat and 3 veg to a family of 5 every night is a bit hard on the hip pocket these days.

But they're a pain in the bum to cook, one after another and the kids hate them when they get brown on the bottom. I'm definitely gong to try this.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

great idea, thanks for sharing.

OK, not to be like Saturday Night Live's "Debbie Downer" but, is this safe? Plastic can leech into foods if its heated - unless it's been manufactured to withstand high heat.

I worry about unexpected sources of chemical contamination in my food, and plastic has always been high on my list of things to be careful of.

If anyone has information about Ziploc Freezer Bags being safe to boil or microwave I'd love to hear about it. The Ziploc Omlette sounds like a good way to go - if it's safe.

(Did anyone see that Debbie Downer skit? Any time I urge caution about something I think about that SNL skit!)

I just sent an email to Ziploc and asked about safety. I hope it IS safe. Sounds really easy, especially when camping. Their website said it would take one business day to reply. When they do, I'll post here again.

Well....lets hope its safe, I just made one for my Dear Boyfriend. :-) Added some ham and cheese. It came out perfect, he really liked it. And it was so easy!

I do not cook ever - as a rule, but even this seems like it's quick and easy.

Realizing that it might not taste quite the same as pan fried, I'll try it one day and report back. Hopefully others will give their reviews also.

And the Freezer-strength bags should do it, Donna, but I'm sure the Ziploc (or Glad) people will gladly provide details.

Happy Band (And Life) Journeys To All...

I tried it last night.....we have a gas stove though and the heat from the flames started to melt the bags right away, I had to lay the tops of the bags over the handles on the pot. Otherwise, they were fine, it missed that kinda buttery taste you get from pan fried omelets, but they didn't taste bad, just a bit different. The technique worked just fine.

Great idea. Thanks for sharing. I am going to try it for luch today!

Great idea! I think it sounds great for the kids to help put it all together and squish it in the bag! We'll have to try it!!

Kell

Hi everyone,

I got the response from Ziploc and the answer may not be what you want to hear:

Dear Donna,

Thank you for your e-mail. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

Regarding your inquiry, ZIPLOC® brand Bags cannot be used to boil food. Unfortunately, we do not manufacture a "boilable" bag.

We do not recommend using any ZIPLOC® brand Bag in boiling Water, or to "boil" in the microwave. ZIPLOC® brand Bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit. By pouring near boiling Water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt.

Thanks again for your e-mail so we could give you the information you requested. If you have future comments or product information needs, we invite you to visit or e-mail us again at www.scjbrands.com.

Regards,

Becky

Consumer Relationship Center

SC Johnson, A Family Company

Toll Free Number: 1-800-558-5252

www.scjbrands.com

Reference Number: 012630397A

I love the idea of the Ziploc omlette, but not enough to disregard Ziploc's advice. Too many chemicals can leech into your food if the bag does begin to melt and create a possible chemical poisoning risk. Chemical poisoning won't necessarily make you ill immediately but just because you don't feel sick right away, chemical poisoning can cause serious health issues in your future. For me, it's just not worth it.

YIKES!! I guess I won't try this with the kids! It's definitely not worth it...

Kell

FoodSaver Bags, sold in rolls and pint, quart, and gallon sized bags, can be safely boiled :clap2: (see www.foodsaver.com). I've not boiled eggs in these bags but I have pre-portioned and pre-seasoned other foods (ie. raw pork chops, etc.) frozen them and then boiled the bag to cook the pork chops. End product was just as tastey as having cooked them any other way.

May be a little pricey but doesn't convience always cost a little more?