Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did it! I joined Curves this morning. Paid for the whole year, even! (Make me go, please make me go!!!)

I have fibromyalgia and my physical therapist said that I need to "sneak-up" on my muscles, :D so I figured the program of 30 seconds, switch, 30 seconds, switch would be just right for me.

And it's convenient ...

I'll drop the kids off at school, then go to Curves on my way home! I'm really excited! I know I'll have to take time off after my surgery. Anyone know how long? They will give me a medical extention on my year.

I've decided to really make the most of the 2 months til surgery. I was in some crazy mindset that the more I ate now, the more weight I would lose later! :) Whattheheckwasthat!?!?

So, I'm drinking my Propel and not eating fast-food and I'm slowly cleaning my house! I kept thinking "Oh, I can't wait for surgery" then it dawned on me ... I don't have to wait. The surgery is just part of this life long process, so I can begin RIGHT NOW!

Well, if anyone has any words of wisdom on Curves or life in general ... I could use the extra push!

Thanks for being here!

Guest JENNIELYNN1018

Good for you!

I'm not banded yet (next month) but I've been going to Curves for six months now and I absolutely love it. It takes the boredom out of the "workout". You can start on the circuit in different places on different days and it seems different all the time.

It's also a great weight loss support place (although that hasn't done it for me yet)

Happy Curving!!:banana

I went about 2 weeks ago to our Curves and they wanted

$ 160.00 just to sign up! That was crazy to me! Did u have to do that? One in another city close by waived the sign up fee if you brought in 10 can goods, but the one close to me said that if I signed up in another city I could not work out at that one. However, the other one in the other city said that I could. Never got the same answer from either Curves. I would like to join but it is crazy to me that you have to pay $ 160.00 just to sign up....Good Luck to you!!

I joined Curves in Feb. They had a special so I paid half of the usual fee. The woman told me they run specials all the time, even offering free sign-ups (membership fee) from time to time. I met someone from obesityhelp.com. She had a by-pass from the same doc that did my the lap-band (both done in Jan 2004). We have a great time. My best tip is find someone to exercise with, we talk so much we generally go for an hour and it seems like 10 minutes. Good luck......Gabby ( and I'm down 40 lbs!)

I went to Curves, on my sister's recommendation, because she loves her Curves. The sign-up was $150 (they have frequent 50% off specials), and then $39 per month for a one-year contract. I opted for one month only and did not like it. The hours were very limited and I spent a lot of time looking at the rear end of the woman who signed me up...as she went around the circle talking to friends/older customers, and was not helpful at all.

I have sinced joined a real gym. It costs LESS than Curves, is open seven days a week, is also women only, has showers, is open from early mornng until night, has a jacuzzi and a sauna, and offers Pilates, yoga, and other classes in am and pm at no charge. Also on staff, but for an extra charge, are a massage therapist and a certified trainer. For less than Curves.

Any exercise is good. I think Curves is a good starting place, to get you out of the house and in the mood for physical training. But I think that anyone who actually goes will--within a year--feel that they need a more challenging environment.

Well, I did it! I had my "training" today and actually worked out for about 40 minutes. I have not done ANYTHING for um, well, I don't know, years and years and years!! I am feeling good! Of course in the back of my mind is that nasty little negative voice saying "so what, one day, as if you'll keep it up", ! I just have to remind myself that I never had surgery before, either! It's a brand new process, brand new thoughts!

It was a 50% deal, so it cost 74.50 to sign up. It's 29 a month, or if you prepay for the year its 26, so I spent $386.50 for the year, including start-up cost (a one-time only fee). They are open 6 days a week.

This is just enuf for me right now. Although a sauna and whirlpool sound like heaven, I think I would be feeling more overwhelmed than I am. I can handle the thought of 12 machines, stretch out at the ballet bar, go home! Eventually, however, I am sure I will want to move on to something more. I am sure that with the extra energy I'll have I'll be able to fit more into my schedule and so would like to find a place w/ a pool, etc.

Gabby, how long after your lap-band until you were able to go back to Curves? Good job on the 40#, by the way!

Thanks for the replies!

Hey Debra;

I joined Curves when I was 6 weeks post-op. I like it that there are no mirrors and no men. It seems the right fit for me now. I like that they measure and weigh every month. Good luck .....Gabby