Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am cutting and pasting the highlights from the thread I started on Protein Bar I brought with me, showered, and fell asleep. I took the antibiotic they gave me before I went to sleep but did not take the ativan.

At 7 AM on 4/1, I was picked up and taken to my room in the hospital. I was seen by a medical internist who reviewed my tests (all good), an assistant surgeon (who was sleeved the day after me), an anesthesiologist, and finally, by the surgeon, Dr. Aceves. All questions were answered and I was the second sleeve of the day.

I got dramamine and versed to take 30 minutes prior to the OR and that knocked me out. LOL. My IV was inserted in the OR and I had spinal and general anesthesia. The spinal dramatically decreases the amount of general needed. Since I don't do well with general (severe nausea), I elected for the spinal too and had NO problems in the recovery room.

All I remember about the recovery room was being asked if I had pain... nope, and being told I was going back to my room. I got some IV pain medication at @ 4 AM and then had sublingual (under the tongue) toradol @ 1 PM. For me, this surgery was a lot less painful than the band.

At noon, I had to drink small sips of Water. An hour after that I drank apple juice with a blue dye in it. This is the second test (first done in OR) for leaks. I have a drain near where the port was and the hope is that no blue color comes through to the bag. I passed. After that, I was brought hot tea, tang OJ, and apple juice. My IV was taken out this evening.

Tomorrow morning, I go for the last leak test and will have to drink a radiograffin substance. If I pass that test (and I have no doubt I will), the drain gets removed at noon. I will leave the hospital at 5:45 AM on Saturday to make my flight in San Diego for home. I have nothing but positive things to say about this experience. As a registered nurse I was very watchful and am impressed with the care, cleanliness, and professionalism I observed.

4/3/09

I just did the last test to make sure there were no leaks and passed. The penrose drain will be coming out in a few hours and I've been walking a lot. I'm packing for the return trip and will be leaving Mexico at 5:45 AM. Dr. Aceves gives you copies of ALL the tests/results you had and writes a brief note so you can give it to your primary physician. They also give you a 2 week supply of Nexium and some sublingual pain medication in case you need it. I've only needed pain medication a total of 3 times since I arrived.

4/5/09

Thanks to everyone. I left Mexico at 5:45 AM yesterday and made it home at 9:45 PM... a LONG trip. The worst part was sitting on the plane so long but I felt much better when I got off and walked the entire length of the airport to the baggage area. My advice is to keep moving.

sleeping in my own med was heaven! The hospital gives you a 2 week supply of dissolvable nexium and 8 sublingual pain pills. I took nothing for pain today (post-op day 4). For the first time in years, I laid flat on my back on one pillow and had no heart burn and no regurgitation. The most discomfort is on my left side where the drain was and where they took the port out. It's not unusual to be able to sleep on your left side for several weeks.

My suture lines are all healing nicely and the sutures are dissolvable. Continued drainage from the penrose drain is to be expected for up to 10 days or so. I shower and wash with soap, pat dry, and fold a gauze pad over the wound and paper tape it in place. It doesn't drain through.

I'm sore and tired and still am trying to move the gas out of my body. Yesterday, my back hurt and now that's gone. Today, it's my left shoulder and when I get up and move, the pain lessens.

As for work, I am already correcting dissertation proposals from my students (my P/T job). I will return to work in the hospital on Wed. No heavy lifting is allowed for 4-6 weeks post-op and no swimming or soaking in a tub is allowed until after 15 days (don't want bacteria entering the drain site).

I guess that's the update for now.

4/6/09

It's post-op day 5 and I finally feel good. The jet lag is gone and the awful gas pain that landed in my left shoulder is also history. I decided not to take anything for pain (last pill was Sat night) yesterday or last night (slows peristalsis and I wanted the gas gone) and it worked. LOL.

I was able to sleep on my left and right sides as well as my back. The most tender spot is near where the port was removed and where the drain was. In my case, those 2 spots are close. It feels like I did 300 sit-ups but the more I move, the better I feel.

I tried 5 different Protein drinks/powders when I was banded and hated them all. This time, I bought 3 different types and just can't get past the awful protein taste. I called the patient coordinator and asked if I could use a soy based drink that has 7 g protein, 1 sugar carb, 3 Fiber carbs, and 70 cal in 8 oz. Normally, this is not allowed until post-op day 11. Thankfully, I got the OK and Soy Slender is now my best friend. LOL. It tastes like chocolate milk. I also purchased Special K protein water. This product is expensive and only has 5 grams of protein in each bottle (50 cals) but it's a way for me to keep drinking (tastes like a lite lemonade) and get some protein in.

The greatest "gift" happened when I decided to bite the bullet and get on the scale... down 7 pounds since Tuesday.

4/7/09

Post-op day 6 went well. I drove to the grocery store and walked all the isles, packed the stuff, loaded the car, and came home and had a lovely Breakfast of tea and soy slender after putting everything away. I must say, looking at all the food in the store did make me crave some favorites but my eye is on getting healthy and healing properly.

Because others in the house are not joining me on my liquid diet phase, I spent the afternoon cooking some meals ahead. My preference is to cook a lot, portion it out, and freeze it so there's always something available on days I don't feel like cooking. By the time I was done, I was tired so I caught up on paperwork and now I'm watching some TV.

Tomorrow evening, I am going back to work but am easing into it and only working 8 hours. If that goes OK, I'll do my 12.5 hour shift on Thursday. My back is sore and so is the area where the port was but each day is better than the one before. Of course, I can't wait for Saturday... hello full fluids! LOL. The Tomato Soup is calling.

4/9/09

It's post-op day 8 and I had no problems doing an 8 hour shift so, tonight, it's back to my regular 12.5 hour shift. I'm tired of the liquid diet but it's only prescribed for another 2 days so I'll survive. I never looked so forward to full fluids. LOL. Chewing gum helps ease the urge to chew.

4/13/09

I was out all day today and had to have some fasting blood work done so breakfast was out. Since it was a nice day, I went shopping with a friend to look for some new tops. At 12:45, she was hungry so we went to a diner. That was fun. I scanned the 7 pages of the menu and came up with 2 choices; Soup or a milkshake. I opted for a cup of coffee and matza ball soup minus the ball. LOL.

My friend asked if I would be OK if she ordered "real" food which I was fine with. I don't eat beef so the burger didn't bother me but those 2 onion rings and fries did smell wonderful. I ate my soup and was not hungry but it was hard watching all that food come out to a crowded diner. Once I was out of there, we went back to shopping and I never felt hungry. I'm now home and not physically hungry at all.

4/14/09

I am already bored with full fluids. LOL. I don't like the protein powders and am not getting in the required protein. I got a little inventive and diluted 1/3 cup of part skim ricotta cheese with some skim milk to get it to the Tomato soup stage of thickness and found that to be very satisfying.

Coffee still takes weird but I do have a cup in the AM. THAT is the one thing I really miss. I go to a soft diet on Saturday so the protein sources will be more plentiful. One thing I do enjoy is hot chocolate. I found one that's only 25 calories and it makes a good dessert.

4/16/09

I am now 15 days post-op and I think I have felt physical hunger twice in that time. It's strange not to feel hungry because it's a first for me. I was always hungry with the band.

4/18/09

Today, I was able to advance my diet from full fluids to soft. My body is craving real food and I decided on tuna fish salad for lunch. Knowing I get full fast, I opted for coffee only for breakfast.

I was able to enjoy 1/3 cup of tuna salad with no bread or lettuce. I have not been getting in the needed daily protein so I wanted to maximize the good calories and did not feel ready to try soft bread. I ate slowly and enjoyed lunch and the amount filled me up.

With a lot more opportunities for adequate protein intake on a soft diet, I am VERY glad to be done with the full Fluid phase. As per post-op instructions, I will not advance to solids until 30 days out from surgery... May 2.

4/20/09

I prepared some homemade lasagna tonight and cut a piece that was about 4" square to have for dinner. It was about 2" high and I was only able to eat about 2/3 of the portion. I am learning to listen to my body telling me I am full.

Since I never had restriction with the band, this is a whole new learning curve for me. Taking "one more bite" would have resulted in an over stuffed and uncomfortable feeling. My "normal" way of eating would have been to consume a piece double the size I cut and go back for more. It's new, but nice, to "feel" full after a reasonable amount of food intake.

5/1/09

I had my surgery one month ago today and have lost 18 pounds. Tomorrow, I advance to a regular diet. I'm not hungry, I feel restriction, and I feel great.

As far as the soreness goes, I was out planting flowers one week after surgery. I felt some twinges where the port was removed at the 2 week post-op point but it was nothing. All the incisions are healed nicely and I'm back to exercising.

5/4/09

On May 2, I was allowed to go back to an unrestricted diet and eats solids. I am still surprised at how little I am eating and at how much I need to chew food in order to get it down. This is something I never had to do with the band as food easily went down with that.

All my gherlin must have been cut out because I never feel hungry and I notice that I get the hiccups when my stomach is full. It takes just a small amount of food for me to feel full and I'm in no hurry to go back to solids.

That is a very thorough report. Thank you. I'm looking forward to the full liquid phase because I'm not getting any Protein in except for the few grams in the broth. I didn't like any of the dissolvable stuff either. So Day 10 here I come.

The hotel was nice. But if you are going for your "last meal" avoid the Italian restaurant. lol

The hotel was nice. But if you are going for your "last meal" avoid the Italian restaurant. lol

You were in Mexico - what the heck were you thinking eating Italian? They don't know Italian ... LOL ... silly girl ... I love mexican so will probably have that -- however, will avoid the frijoles as from what I am hearing, I'll have enough "gas" without the extra help. :juggle:

Edited by VegasAngel

Daughter wanted it. I would have preferred Mexican.

Another note. I really appreciated how efficient they were at the hospital with the pre-op tests. We didn't have to wait at all for any of them and were out of there in a jiffy. That was appreciated after the two-hour drive.

Thank you for the thorough description Elisabeth! I hope to have such an uneventful surgical experience too! I also hope that I'm one of the lucky ones that has no ghrelin post op. I still can't get my head around not having hunger and being so full after a few bites that you actually STOP eating!

Thanks for the very descriptive run down Elisabeth. I am having VSG on June 17th with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali too! I'm not worried about the surgery but petrified about what happens for the rest of my life. I have a multitude of poor eating habits and fear unconciously eating and drinking liquids at the same time. Is that hard to do? What happens if you do? I'm also a fast eater (I was a school teacher with a 30 minute lunch break for years). Were you able to overcome poor eating habits?

5/31/09: My girlfriend and I are both scheduled for VSG on June 17th with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. We've been best friends for longer than we can remember so it seemed like a good idea to go together! Both husbands will accompany us (although I fear mine will be drawn to the swimming pool at the hotel!) Only kidding! We are both fortunate that our husbands are very supportive which makes this decision much easier. It seems the liquid phase is difficult for many because of the potien consumption. I bought Isopure in bottles but haven't tried it yet. Anyone have an idea on how to doctor up the taste? Any thing you wish you would have packed to take for the stay in the hospital?

I have not seen anyone post that liked the Isopure so I didn't even try it. I'll just be unhealthy this phase of the program. It is only a few days.

Right now I'm brewing up some Swanson's broth and added carrots, celery and onion to make it taste a bit more homemade. I almost put a carrot into my mouth. It is amazing how much we eat without thinking.

Bring your own toiletries. Bring less than you think. I liked having my own jammies so brought several. I brought a little makeup because it makes me feel better. I didn't read too much of my book.

Are you driving? If you are, bring your own pillow. Don't forget flip flops or slippers for that walking. I brought the Gas X but not sure it helped or harmed. I think maybe we are meant to pass the gas to get it the heck out of there. I felt so much better when it started to come out.

I'll be happy to anwer any other questions you may have.

5/31/09: ..... Any thing you wish you would have packed to take for the stay in the hospital?

I know on the list Nina sent me she said to bring immodium as diarrhea is quite common - and you'll want it while traveling. The dissolvable type. Loose fitting clothing to wear coming home is something else she recommends. My surgery is on the 12th so we'll miss one another by a day or so.

Thanks for the very descriptive run down Elisabeth. I am having VSG on June 17th with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali too! I'm not worried about the surgery but petrified about what happens for the rest of my life. I have a multitude of poor eating habits and fear unconciously eating and drinking liquids at the same time. Is that hard to do? What happens if you do? I'm also a fast eater (I was a school teacher with a 30 minute lunch break for years). Were you able to overcome poor eating habits?

Congratulations on your decision to have surgery. Dr. Aceves is wonderful and so is the staff. When I arrived at the hospital, "Lucy" was literally waiting at the door for me and pre-op testing began that minute... no waiting at all.

My poorest eating habit was Portion Control. My eyes weren't bigger than my belly and my belly was never full. With the sleeve, you DO feel full and if you try to push that full feeling, you get a wave of nausea. As for drinking with eating, I just don't put a glass or a beverage next to my plate. One time, I did have a bottle of Water near me and unconsciously took a drink. It didn't do any harm but it was at the end of the meal and caused me to feel overly full.

I'm a nurse so I know what you mean about eating on the run. You'll still be able to eat your lunch in 30 min but the quantity of what you eat will be a lot less.

I have not seen anyone post that liked the Isopure so I didn't even try it. I'll just be unhealthy this phase of the program. It is only a few days.

Right now I'm brewing up some Swanson's broth and added carrots, celery and onion to make it taste a bit more homemade. I almost put a carrot into my mouth. It is amazing how much we eat without thinking.

Bring your own toiletries. Bring less than you think. I liked having my own jammies so brought several. I brought a little makeup because it makes me feel better. I didn't read too much of my book.

Are you driving? If you are, bring your own pillow. Don't forget flip flops or slippers for that walking. I brought the Gas X but not sure it helped or harmed. I think maybe we are meant to pass the gas to get it the heck out of there. I felt so much better when it started to come out.

I'll be happy to anwer any other questions you may have.

I agree! The Gas X did nothing and I packed too much. Walking and trying to bend down as close to the floor as you can get helped the most.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

I didn't mind the isopure. I liked the fruit punch flavor. I sipped on it slowly the first few days cause I did want to be sue to get my Protein in. After losing so much hair after banding, I wanted to do whatever is possible not to lose anymore. I am not even sure it will help, but it's worth a try. I think the Hair loss actually came from the shock to the body of having surgery.

Good luck with your surgery! I am very pleased with all the pre op help of Dr. Aceves' staff and from what's posted by others; the surgery appears far less stressful than one imagines.

We're flying. My best friend and I are having the surgery the same day! Our husbands are coming too (although I think mine will be at the hotel pool as much as possible!). Our flight back to Texas isn't too bad, but we have another hour & a half drive home to Wimberley. Were you able to go outside during your hospital stay? What did you do during the days you were recouping? TV, walking, computer? I don't know how to sit still so this will be different for me to "rest". Did they send you home with any other instructions or exercises, etc.?