Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged

Surgery Aug 9th. Tried to book first fill and after they reviewed my eating log, they told me that I am eating too many soft foods still. It is a challenge to eat 5 time a day. I start with a Protein Shake with fruit yogurt for snack, some kind of hearty Soup for lunch. Cottage cheese for snack. dinner is chicken and steamed veggies. Really struggling with eating more food and fear of gaining weight. Veterans- I need help

They're actually right. Eating soft foods because you can't eat solids means you definitely aren't ready to be even tighter. The band works best if you can eat solid Protein because that's what's going to keep the hunger away for 3 - 4 hours. If you're eating soft food, you're eating 'around the band'. If you can't eat anything BUT soft foods, you're showing signs of being too restricted and another fill is the last thing you need right now.

The band isn't supposed to be so tight that all you can ingest are things that 'pass' through the band. Being at that point is actually counter-productive to weight loss. If you can't eat solid food, you need to communicate this with your medical team and discuss options.

Are you not able to tolerate firmer foods or are you choosing soft foods strictly because of the fear of gaining weight?

If you are not tolerating firmer foods, like grilled chicken, ground beef, etc....then you you probably don't want a fill just yet.

If you are just nervous about "real food" work up to it gradually and start to get used to your new body. You might be surprised how much you will continue to lose when you are eating again, and enjoying your favorite things again.

If I was honest , then I would admit that it is the weight gain fear that is making me keep a soft diet. I started eating more normal food yesterday and today. Have not stepped on a scale but I am worried. Can you share what a normal day food intake is for you?

It's not so much solid or soft food that will make you gain. Actually solid foods will help you loose cause you won't have to eat as often. If you are really worried track your calories and stay in a certain range. For me it is 1200 + what I earn exercising. Here's a snap shot of my normal day:

Breakfast: 2 cups of coffee, eggs either fried or in a "muffin" (cook them ahead of time in a muffin pan with sausage, peppers and cheese)

Snack: Greek yogurt

Lunch: piece of turkey lunch meat wrapped around a slice of cheese, carrots or apple, crackers

Snack: nuts

Dinner: chicken breast with BBQ Sauce, veggies

Hope this helps

to gain true weight

you have to eat/drink more calories than you burn off....simple

its a fact and how we all needed wls

when i was coming off my post op, i felt this very same way

jeannie who wrote bandwagon and i pm back and forth and i asked

her this very thing...she said so you wanna just drink for the rest of your life??

we are not on a diet...

you will eat healthy foods, exercise and lose weight and be healthy

let the band do its job by helping you with the amount

all you do and need to do is make better choices, eat your allotted amount

and watch you lose massive inches/weight

best of luck

I committed this week to eat better. Tonight I had small pieces of steak and a quarter of a baked potato. I carefully watched the clock and took 20 minutes. Feeling ok.

An update - I committed to eating harder foods. Since then , I have gained 3 pounds. It doesn't sound like much but I am concerned. I called and have requested a fill. We will see.

Eating more solid foods isn't what makes you lose weight, what helps you lose weight is the fact that solid food SHOULD keep your hunger away for relatively long periods of time. Which means on solid food you should not feel hungry for 3 - 5 hours. If you do feel hungry within 3 hours despite eating solid lean Protein, then you need more fill.

If you've transitioned to solids, but are eating frequently and/ or eating solids that are high in calorie content it will mean you will gain weight. It will make anyone gain weight.

Solid lean Protein, eat ONLY when you're really hungry, don't eat high calorie foods. If you're actually hungry despite eating solids within 3 hours or so then yes get another fill.

If you had surgery Aug. 9, you probably haven't had many fills. Sometimes, it takes quite a few fills to feel restriction. I was banded in March and had 5 fills before I felt restricted. Also, based on the food you listed, it doesn't look like you're consuming a lot of calories. Depending on your current weight, maybe it's too few calories and your body is on 'starvation mode'. I reached a plateau after 4 mos. and was sure that eating fewer calories and exercising more would restart my weight loss. However, the lbs still wouldn't come off. When I added more calories, in the form of lean Protein, cheese, Greek yogurt...the lbs started coming off again. Don't get discouraged. You'll be posting your 'skinny pics' in no time!

Thank you everyone.