Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

I've read this before but reading it again I laughed til I cried! Thanks for the great start to my day

Pinkylee keep your dream of a week's hiking vacation. I started out walking on the flat one mile per day then added hiking short distances in the mountains on the weekend (one - two miles) with an elevation of between 500 and 1000 feet. I did that for the first year - lengthening my daily walks to two or three miles as I got stronger. The second year I increased the distance I would hike in the mountains until now I can hike up to eight miles and an elevation of 2000 - 2200 feet. I now walk three miles per day on the flat every day that I can. Lately the weather here has been awful so I have missed my walk many days. I also work out at Curves four - five mornings per week before going to work. This summer I would like to hike some of the Pacific Crest Trail system - maybe not overnight yet because I don't carry a pack but at least a long day hike. We are now trying to add a mountain hike during the week of about four miles and 1000 feet in elevation in addition to the one on the weekend. But, again, the weather is not very conducive to it. I am thinking about buying some snowshoes but I get cold so easy I am worried that I will go to that expense and then not use them. Good luck to you!

Having said all that I am at a standstill on weight loss. I have read about plateaus and I guess I have hit one. I am now increasing my Water and adding an additional Protein shake to see if that will break the plateau. Grrrrr! :-)

OK I survived the fill from Hell. I guess it wasn't all that bad, but definitely different than any others. First, the tech was new. At least new to me. I had to explain my case to her which gets very trying. Don't try to make sense out of what happens to me, just know that it happens!

She decides to numb me first. OUCH, OUCH, OUCH. Can we say pain? I have a high tollerance for pain, but this was a bit much. Now she pushes on my port and pushes until she feels she has it in her grasp. She pokes the new extra long needles with no handle on it (?) into my port, sorta of. FInally gets it and extracts. I lost .1 from the last fill/unfill. Not enough to worry about so I tell her to add .3 ONLY. That now brings me to 1.9. For the first time I felt it going in. Now the barium swallow. For the very, very first time I see it going through slow. It does go through, but usually it just pours through. She says I have restriction and anyone else she would add just a touch more. No way I say. I'm a little concerned now with what I saw on the screen. I don't want anymore. I grabed my bottle of Water and left the room.

So far so good. I didn't have many liquids last night, but did enjoy my cup of tea. Thanks PinkyLee for putting me onto tea again. It is quite soothing and made my tummy feel better. Today I've had my coffee, Water, and activia. No problems.

I am really busy at work so hopefully stress won't get to me. My DH also changed us to satellite from cable and I'm not real happy, but I'm trying. Why can't they leave well enough alone? :)

YES. SInce I started eating Activia I haven't had any issues. If I stop it for a few days, like the weekend, I notice a difference. I try to have one each day, just like medicine. :)

PinkyLee --thanks for the post. I am dying laughing. I've never read that one before.

Barb465 --glad to hear your doing well with this fill thus far. I hope this will be it for you for a while. I know that you have had your share of fills/unfills.

Melissa Lea

Barbara465..........hope things are good with your fill as the days go on. What's with things at the SurgiCenter? As reported, my last experience there was traumatic at best and painful being the least. I used to think I had a high tolerance for pain also, but I truly dread going in there. I do like the numbing they are doing now, but I hate the way they press and shove in my port area. I am still sensitive in that area and I find it very distressing when they get so rough. She totally misses me every time and has to use x-ray to find the right spot. I break out in a cold sweat by the time she finds the proper area.

I probably should get another little fill but I dread it in the worst way. I gained a couple pounds after my unfill and things have not moved since. I too have had trouble with Constipation and the Activa doesn't seem to help. Anyone else have other ideas?

Barbara12375,

I use benefiber in my coffee every morning, it is odorless and tastleless, you can put it in anything and it dissolves easy. It has worked for me.

I spent 3 hours at the dentist this morning getting a crown and a cyst burnt off my gum. The numbing is just now starting to wear off. It will be a fun afternoon.

Reginia good luck with the pain! Yikes it sounds horrible. How is the non smoking going? Hope you are doing OK.

Barbara12 you might need to change up some of your foods as well to get some more natural Fiber. TFood like prunes might help. I never had this problem until banding. In fact, just the opposite. I know it has to do with the foods we eat. Now that I don't eat those foods anymore I don't have "triggers" that kept me regular. :)

Barbara12

My Mom uses Metamucel chocolate every night. It's the first thing that's worked for her in years. I'd clear it with your surgeon first. Spiegel says no way on any powder you mix to liquid, but others aren't so strict. Thankfully I don't seem to need a fill. I would call Patrice and discuss your options with her. She may know who is gentler. Are you going to make lunch tomorrow?

I needed the laugh that the wax story brought. I used my walking DVD today Lucy. 1.5 miles. I'm content to gradually build up, and some nice warm day this spring I'll head for the beach and see how far I can go. Winter is beautiful and quiet but sure can be limiting. Maybe you could rent some shoes for a day and try them out?

I don't know if the digital scale fairy sprinkled dust on my scale, but it said 189.5 this morning. This is one I'm not going to claim until I see it for several days in a row. Somehow 189 sounds so much lighter than 191. I haven't been a good bandster lately. Water?, exercise? counting calories have been more miss than hit. I'm definitely back on track today. I might actually hit my anniversary goal.

Regina,

DS hasn't smoked cigarettes. He does light up a cigar if he goes to the sports bar, but that's more to stay away from cigarettes than anything and he swears he "doesn't inhale". Hope you are still on track?

Take care today. Yikes!!!! Tonight won't be much fun.

rroswelltx - I just read your 'signature' - am I reading that right, you've lost 87 lbs?????? That is wonderful. How on earth!

I've been away from the thread for a while and am just getting back into the swing of things, so it may have been discussed earlier and I missed it (your success). Any tips would be welcome!

Barbara 465 - I will try the activia - I've really had horrible Constipation - so bad I have a home insurance claim due to it....

XXX for those of you who are put off by bathroom humor, this might qualify as bathroom humor and you may not want to read further XXX

Okay - my constipation has been pretty bad. Christmas eve was particularly horrible. It took considerable effort to go to the bathroom and I honestly thought I may need medical intervention...

three days later, my main pipe in the house overflowed and my wood floors soaked up much Water. The culprit....you guessed it. I think the plumber's comment was "this person must be eating rocks"......

So, a $6000 claim later, I'm thinking I might want to invest in some activia!

Aimee that is too funny. I feel your pain though. I thought I was giving birth the first few weeks. The contractions were awful and would go on and on. Finally DH went to store and came home with enema. I said no way and he said enough is enough. I swallowed my pride and viola got some relief. :) I thought that was bad enough, but you have topped me.

It was a 1st week, I think I had 3 cigs all week, which is good since i used to smoke a pack a day. I painted my bedroom all weekend to keep me busy! This morning though the devil played a trick on me, on my way to work from the dentist, i was getting gas, and i decided to clean out my van of trash, and low and behold a brand new unopened pack of cigs were in there. Luckily the Lord is good and my mouth was swollen and numb and I DID NOT SMOKE THEM!!!!!!!

Yes Aimee my ticker and sig is correct, thank God I have almost lost a teenager, oh i'm sorry that's wish full thinking I love my teenager. Ok maybe a large dog then, but my feet thank me every minute for the 87lbs gone. I actually saw 167 yesterday but I am not claiming it yet. I am just trying to focus on NOT smoking and not replacing it with food. Thank God the band keeps me from gorging during my cravings. But i am wearing the patch so it helps alot. Glad your back Aimee.

Thanks for the constant support everyone.

Yes Aimee my ticker and sig is correct, thank God I have almost lost a teenager, oh i'm sorry that's wish full thinking I love my teenager. Ok maybe a large dog then, but my feet thank me every minute for the 87lbs gone.

I've lost my 5 year old! Not really, just the equivalent to her weight. I can't say that out loud for sure except here hee hee :)

Have you exercised? What has been your "food routine"? Do you mind me asking? That is so wonderful.

thats what i was referring to in equivelent of weight, haha. For the one on here that knows my son, DON'T YOU TELL HIM I SAID THAT!!!! LOL

Yes I excersise 3 days a week usually, cardio and weights. I don't really have a food routine, I eat pretty much anything i can, i just limit portions. I try not to stress about it, not like a dieting at all. I am not a vegetable eater so I mostly do hard Protein. My band keeps me from eating most fried foods (thank God) which used to be my main source of food! I drink lots of Water, and I do drink sweet tea. I eat mexican at least once a week, but never order a meal, just something ala carte. Thats about it. I am down from a size 24pants to a 10 (sometimes 12 depending on the pants).

Whats that old commercial, THANKS TO XXXXX I LOOK AND FEEL LIKE A NEW (WO)MAN. I don't remember the diet they were advertising for but i remember it was funny. OOPs I'm showing my age!

Regina --congrats on the not smoking this morning when you found that pack of cigs. I do hope that your mouth pain subsides soon.

Aimee --sorry to hear about your plumbing problem. I hope that the activa works for you like it has for Barbara465. I've been fortunate in that department, regular, almost like clock work.

Pinky --congrats on walking. The winter months do mess up peoples routine. I know that it has messed up mine. I seriously need to get more consistent with my walking/work outs. I know I would see better results that way.

Melissa Lea