Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie, recently de-banded

Hey Paula,

To answer your question:

Maybe you answered this on your original post, but how long after you were banded did you become sick?

I was banded in January 2004. I started getting sick all the time in about October 2004 - constant colds and flu. I just blamed it on not eating enough food during this time, thinking that my body was just weak. The next spring, March 2005, I came down with meningitis which is when I got deathly ill. Not only did I get meningitis, I also had several bacterial infections on top of it - pneumonia, sinus infection, bladder infection. I got over the infections and the meningitis, but then a few months later, the meningitis came back. This went on (recurrent meningitis) right up until I had the band removed. My doctors think that I was having some sort of massive immune reaction to the band, and that this could have been causing the recurrent meningitis. I do hope that the band was the source of my immune problems, and I hope I don't get the meningitis back again! So far this seems to be the case (knock on wood).

Jenny,

WOW what an experience. Glad you are feeling better now. Just a note about immune system. I have a history of problems and one thing that happened was my inability to absorb B12. I had balance problems and walked with a stagger. You might have them test and get B12 shots. It can't hurt and does increase your energy level.

Keep us posted on your progress. It sounds like the band did setup some kind of negative reaction in your body. Hope you continue your success with WW.

Hi Jenny,

I am so sorry to hear of your ordeal. I am glad to hear you are doing better. I am a little worried now because I am allergic to metals also. I cannot wear any jewelry except 14 karat gold or higher on chains and rings. I cannot wear earrings at all otherwise I break out. If I am leaning on a metal cabinet at work, I break out. Even my desk will cause me to break out on my wrists if I am leaning on it too much. I was talking to my boss one day and he said his sister has the same thing. He said hers was an allergy to nickel. I do not know how widely nickel is used. I will have to pay attention to my body. Please keep us updated as to your progress. I am very interested in this.

I have not had the band yet but I just wanted to mention that you sound like me a year ago. I was so sickly feeling I spent alot of time in bed and I had a low grade temp all the time that made me feel like I was always coming down with something. I was tested for lupus but it was neg and but it can take years for the blood work to catch up with what your body is telling you. Anyways after 2 1/2 yrs of having all kinds of blood work and my ANA (anti nuclear antibodies) tested several times and always negative, last Aug my ANA was positive and that was the clue we were waiting for. The ANA shows autoimmune issues. Turns out I have sjogren's synrome. A sister sickness to lupus.

Good luck and I hope you get answers soon.....

Wow - so sorry about all the troubles! If nothing else, your problems help the people with no real problems feel better about the "little" things that come with banding.

Hi Jenny,

I am so sorry to hear of your ordeal. I am glad to hear you are doing better. I am a little worried now because I am allergic to metals also. I cannot wear any jewelry except 14 karat gold or higher on chains and rings. I cannot wear earrings at all otherwise I break out. If I am leaning on a metal cabinet at work, I break out. Even my desk will cause me to break out on my wrists if I am leaning on it too much. I was talking to my boss one day and he said his sister has the same thing. He said hers was an allergy to nickel. I do not know how widely nickel is used. I will have to pay attention to my body. Please keep us updated as to your progress. I am very interested in this.

In the OLDEN TIMES (I'm talking really olden times), this kind of allergy proved HORRID for women. I had a co-worker who had to wear band-aids on her chest, shoulders and back (everything that's plastic on a bra today was metal back then), and--since it was before pantyhose--she had tape on her thighs where the metal from the garter belt (or the garter part of the girdle) hit her leg, and if you've never seen what was used to hold sanitary napkins in place back before they had self-stick adhesive...well, she SAID there were band-aids on her butt crack as well.

And I think she had to go with 18k and above.

I haven't updated this post in a LONG time! Well things were really looking up after the band removal - within a day of surgery my fever was completely gone. It seemed that I was having an allergic reaction to the band. Or so we thought.

After about 2 months after removal, some of my symptoms returned (dizziness, mild vertigo, weakness, fatigue). So now my docs are starting to consider the possibility of an auto-immune disease like MS or lupus. It's possible that the band was complicating things, by making an immune response worse - because I am definitely better since having the band removed - I haven't had a fever since the removal. Another possibility my doctors are considering is that the band was causing the problems, but after having such a bad immune response (lasting over a year), it may take my body time to recover hence the mild relapse.

I was unable to get my insurance to pay for my removal, so I had to pay cash out of pocket for the removal. My surgeon still does not believe the band was the problem and she only removed it because I insisted and I paid cash. She told me that when she removed the band there was absolutely no sign of immune reaction in the surrounding tissue (no redness, swelling, discharge, etc.). If I was having a reaction to the band, it was some kind of systemic response to a foreign object - which might not have shown a local immune reaction near the band. Who knows?

I'm going back to see my neurologist and getting another MRI next week to see if they can explain my recurring dizziness and weakness. Unfortunately, the diagnosis of complex auto-immune diseases can take years and years, and I fear that I may have a long rocky road of doctors and tests ahead of me. I'm still glad the band is gone. At least now, the band is out of the equation! I've very optimistic though, I'm definitely feeling better now, and my symptoms are more of an annoyance.

My new problem is trying to control my weight! I got the band for a reason. Now I'm just trying to keep from gaining! I've managed to lose about 10 pounds, but you know the routine, I keep bouncing around those same 10 pounds week to week. I think it's important to remember that even with the band, it's you that is doing all the hard work. Remember, I was able to lose and gain 70 pounds all with the band in place. Good luck to all of you having complications - things will get better!!!

Hi everybody. I'm new to the website so I thought I'd say hi to introduce myself.

I was banded in January 2004 and had a lot of success. I lost 65 pounds in the first year. Then, last year I came down with aseptic meningitis and was VERY ill for months. Not only did I get meningitis, but I also came down with pneumonia and several other bacterial infections at the same time too. I was completely bed-ridden for three months (due to dizziness, vertigo and weakness).

My doctors were concerned that I wasn't eating enough and had me increase my calories using juice and other high calorie, easy to eat foods. My weight started creeping back on during this time. No surprise - I was eating more and not working out AT ALL (I used to work out 4-5 hours a week).

Anyway, long story short, I've continued to suffer from weird symptoms over the past year. I get bad headaches, dizziness, vertigo, weakness and persistent fevers. It seems I might be having recurrent meningitis, and my doctors don't know why.

I saw a rheumatologist who said that my symptoms seemed similar to an autoimmune disease, but that I didn't have an autoimmune disease (not enough evidence - mostly normal blood work). She said some autoimmune diseases can cause meningitis (like lupus), but she said there was no evidence of lupus in me.

She said that my symptoms seemed more like a foreign body reaction. I told her I had a LapBand, and she was concerned. She was worried that I might be having a weird reaction to the band.

I spoke with my surgeon who said there has only been one case of a person having an allergic reaction to the band, but the patient presented with very different symptoms (she had a weird rash). My one worry is that I have a lot of allergies, including allergies to metal. I was assured at banding that titanium is not reactive in humans, but I've heard conflicting reports since. I'm even allergic to stainless steel (I can't wear stainless steel earrings). I recently found out that in addition to the titanium in the band, the band also contains stainless steel in the form of a connector in the port tubing. Could I be allergic to the band? And could this be causing my meningitis?

Despite my surgeon's doubts, she felt the band should come out just in case. So I ended having the band removed last Tuesday (May 9th). It's too early to tell if this is the cause of my symptoms. I really hope this helps - but who knows.

I'm freaking out now though, over the past year I've gained back all of my weight plus 5 (I'm up 70 pounds). I feel pretty empowered though. I was able to gain and lose all of this weight WITH the band. It really shows me that it was all of my hard work that made me lose weight, and not just the band. I know when I get better, I'll be able to lose the weight again. I'm just not that worried right now - my health is my current concern.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of people having a foreign body reaction to the band or similar complications. I know the manufacturers warn of this in their brochures, but I'm pretty sure this is to cover their @$$#$. I'm feeling pretty alone (if there is only one other person with this complication). I'd love to hear from some of you that have had band complications and removal and who have decided not to have further WLS.

:girl_hug:

JennyJ

298/302/175

banded 1/04

298 - 1/2004

230 - 3/2005

band removed 5/06

302 - 5/2006

Hello, Jenny. I was very interested in your allergic reaction, and that you

had seen warnings about this in the manufacturer's brochures. I was not

aware of any such possible complications, and had planned to keep my

band in for the rest of my life. This past May, I started having severe pain

and feeling generally rotten. One doctor (who obviously knew nothing about reading CT scans and x-rays, but who does install lapbands!) said

my band was "upside down and out of place, and had to come out). He

tried to take the saline out of my band and only succeeded in hurting me.

I elected to go all the way back to NJ to the surgeon who had put the band in before we moved. The band was not "upside down," nor out of

place, but my esophogus was badly swollen, part of my pouch was above

the band, and I needed to have my gall bladder out, plus I was full of

infections and had to be on antibiotics before and after surgery. He said

he'd try to keep my band in, but had to remove it because of the swelling of my esophogus. I gained 27 pounds quickly and have been filled with

panic. However, in one week, I managed to lose 5 pounds, and have been

going twice a week to a cardiac rehab class working out on machines. I

still attend a bariatric support group which also helps. The one thing that

has really helped me food-wise is making homemade Soups, and having a

mug of hot Soup to start the day. Somehow, this seems to keep my hunger level down! Plus, making the soupos myself, I know what's in them, and can keep the sodium level way down. I cook a whole bunch of veggies (some frozen, some fresh, depending on my mood) and 3-5 chickn thighs.

Then I use a slotted spoon to take out all the solids and dump them with

a little of the liquid into the blender. Blend, then dump back into the liquid

still in the pot. After it all cools down, I pour some into about 5 containers to put in the freezer, leaving just one out for immediate use. Sometimes, I

add a jar of baby food (like chicken,rice and veggy meal) too. It tastes

better than the store Soup, has almost no salt at all, and I know I have a

constant supply in the freezer in 2-day amounts. After hearing what some

others have gone through, I am thinking twice about having another band

put in after 6 months of healing. Now I think I should use that one year I

had (lost 100 pounds) as a wonderful jumpstart, and have lots of Soups

and drink lots of ice Water, plus several small meals daily. My hope is that

I can lose another 75 pounds and learn to live this better way. My NJ surgeon had wondered if I wanted to consider gastric bypass, but I have

heard too many horror stories about that to think about doing such a

drastic thing and possibly dying in the effort to lose the weight!

I too have a lot of allergies but not as many as you have. It has taken me

about 2 months to recover from the surgery when my band was removed

and at the same time, my gall bladder. I'm starting to feel human again

& am determined to do the few exercises I can do (I'm in a wheelchair

some of the time, and use crutches to walk the rest of the time, so I can

not work out the same way as most people can, but there are some

good exercises I can do.) Also, I'm training myself to use commercials on

TV as an exercise time -- when the ads come on, I can do all sorts of arm

exercises and even rotate my feet back and forth until the program comes

back on. Stretching a few minutes upon waking up in the morning seems

to calm my hunger too; I have always awakened RAVENOUS! I do hope

you will gain strength back soon and maybe find a bariatric support group where you live. Being with people who have experienced this is so helpful.

Doctors may have lots of knowledge, but few of them understand at a gut

level what this Life Battle is really about for us. Try the soup routine?

Take care. "C.J." (user name CJBD)

Hi - I am so happy to have found you guys....I've been contemplaing band removal for a long time. I have also ben labeled with "borderline immune issues" after having suffered 5 miscarriages....something has been telling me the band is an issue....I am considering band removal and I'm trying to gather information on how seriou sthe surgery to remove the band will be???? Jenny - I hope you are feeling better!!!

JennyJ,

I too am very allergic to metals. I decided not to get banded because of the titanium and stainless steel component in the Band. Even though you can get lapbands that just have titanium and silicone, and even though everyone keeps swearing to me that titanium is an inert, non-reactive metal, I do not believe it for a second. Titanium is an amalgam (composite) of metals that ARE reactive, and therefore i believe it itself is reactive too.

Anyway, in the past, when i've had metal poisoning issues, I underwent Chelation IV therapy. This helped a great deal. You can find out about this from most naturopathic doctors. If you live in Toronto, I could give you more details about where to find chelation doctors.

All the best.

also, remember this guys... Most people go on the internet looking for other people who have problems only when they actually get a problem themselves!

rarely will people go online trying to find discussion forms to discuss their amaizing success...

Although I am having problems, the lap band is the best thing that has every happened to me. I wake up happier, I am starting to out with friends and I fell 5 billion times better.

I know my problems are my own doing, now I have accepted this and need to fix my habits.

take care!

I can think of two stories in Canada where from what I heard from the patients they have reacted to the materials in the band. One was back in emerg in less than 24 hours seriously ill from the reaction and the band came out in emergency surgery. The other one is getting her band out and revised to the sleeve in the next week. She developed adhesions around the band very quickly along with other symptoms.

I am not sure the sleeve would work for you since it involves a line of staples and you might react to the material again.

But you have come a long way and improved health is the reason I know I got the band. Improved health is wonderful and I hope yours keeps getting better

Hi to everyone, I am Diane also new to this site with problems.

I was banded September of 2003. I believed it would save my life and still believe it does for most of you. I am just one that it did not work for. I had the chest pain with each bite. I finally had the band deflated and have not been throwing up, but in July of 2004 I began to have other health problems. My fingers swelled up, I became extremely exhausted and had arthritis to the point of not being able to pick anything off the floor.

November of 2004 I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease. Most docs say it is not related to the Lap-band, some feel it (could be related). I have been afraid to have the band removed as the disease I have caused scar tissue mostly in the skin but also in my other organs... I am afraid that the band is now burried and that it might be surrounded by blood vessels. My disease is very rare and I am on a TRIAL 12 month chemotherapy regime to save my life as it has progressed to my lungs.

I guess I am looking for others with Lap-band/autoimmune problems or support to have the band removed.

Thanks for any comments you might have.

Diane

Hello Diane,

What you've got is METAL POISONING.

You need to get the band out and go for Chelation treatments to chele the heavy metals out of your system. And stop the chemo, you dont have cancer, and you dont need to weaken you immune system any more. Please do this ASAP.