Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled at 40lbs lost

I'm just over a year and a half since banding and have been stuck at 245-250 (6'2 male with 30 bmi, bmi has also remained unchanged) for several months now. I obsessivly track my calories 900-1100 (mostly protiens, solid and Protein shake) a day and excercise approx 3-4 times a week. ive switched up my workout routines. I've read some info about carb cycling but am concerned becasue i track my weight everyday and if i slip up just a little on calories by weight fluctuates alot, like 3-4 pounds which is really frustrating. Like if one day I have a ham and chees sandwhich instead of a protien shake for lunch the next day my weight will have increase a few pounds.

am I going crazy, how is that possible. I really want to break the 40lb platue but have tried a lot of different things and beyond starving myself and doing liquids only i dont know what to do.

edit: if you need anymore info please let me know and i will provide it.

The sodium content in cold cuts can affect your weight gain/loss. As will the sodium content of any packaged food.

Maybe try not to be obsessive with the tracking of the calories and splurge a bit, and trick your body into thinking differently and see if that helps break the plateau. Our bodies get used to and grow a tolerance to the things we do all the time. The same exercise the same food, so shake it up a bit and give your body something that you don't normally eat every day. Take a break from all the tracking for a day or a weekend and then go back to it. See if that works.

Weapon. Sound like a true plateau. And yes, they can last for months.

To go off of Lisa's comment. Tricking the body is precisely what you want to do. You've been so clean for so long that the body has acclimated, metabolism has shifted etc.

This is a an old bodybuilder trick. They eat clean for 6 days than eat like crap the 7th. As soon as the body starts detecting starvation, bam, it has a huge rise in cals and it calls off the plateau (or hoarding of fat reserves).

Since you are well into your plateau. Forget one meal, or one day. Try a week. Truly, kick the diet for a week. Let your body 'think' it's flush w/ cals. After a week, go back on diet. Typically any weight gained flies off but you will see the scale start to go down. At that point my recommendation is to have a cheat meal or cheat day weekly to keep plateaus in check.

Hope this helps. (and yes cal cycling is effective), however, your 900-1100 cal range is what Im at and Im a woman. Most banded men are a few hundred higher like 1100-1300 and that may be playing a factor. However, you won't hear from me not to weigh or track daily..that's a must in my book <wink>

Here's my take/opinion:

It's a short list, but everything you listed for food is processed. Try eating real fruit, veggies and meats. Cut out all processed starches/carbs for a few weeks.

Processed starches/sugars can spike your insulin levels causing more hunger and also making your body retain fluids. Eat real eggs, chicken breast, seafood, red meat and fresh fruit like melons, apples, pears. Keep the cheese consumption to only one small slice a day? No milk, we don't need milk as adults.

By all means, eliminate bread for a week or two. I know, I know, I can relate to how hard it is to back off this one delicacy we all love, but it's going to slow down your weight loss and can move the scale up if consumed too much.

tmf

2much, but the fact that you need 1000mg of Calcium daily is easily acquired through milk and/or milk products like yogurt which yields 3-4x the amount of calcium found in other ca foods like spinach, kale, even fish. So certainly take supplements (approx 650mg each) but be mindful of getting adequate calcium too :)

Maybe increase your calories. 900-1100 sounds almost starvation for a male of your size. Best wishes to you!

My weight has not changed in 4-6 months. My doctor is thrilled with my weight because i have lost 60% of my BMI. I do want to lose much more weight though. I know I need to do more exercise.

I think as a male you need more calories. Fresh cooked foods are the best instead of ready made. Make enough chicken (example) for a few days and then you can add sauces or gravies to change the taste. Last night I made meatballs with Tomato sauce and sweet and sour meatballs. I have about 3-4 meals of each. I have a food saver system so I freeze by portions. Great investment for WLS people. I always freeze by portions even for my husband. He doesn't eat meat.< /strong>

I was going to say it looks like your calorie intake is too low.. I would increase a little and take in more good clean protein..

You have a lot of good advice here and I strongly agree with previous posts- your caloric intake is too low. Try to up it and eat less processed foods...

Good luck!

I agree...men need more calories..your body is in starvation mode and will not let go of anything :0

Hello... my name is Jessica and I have been where you are. I've been banded 4 yrs now, and with the help of a nutirtionist, I have learned ways to maintain my weight and lose the weight. I'm a Health and Wellness Consultant and Independent Distributor for It Works.

First, I want to say that for a 6'2, 33yr old man, you must have more calories. Calories are not always bad for you. You are young enough where you should be burning around 600-800 calories during a workout. If you are only eating around 1000 calories, your body has nothing to burn. A lot of WLS patients (including myself in the beginning) focus on counting calories because that what our Dr tells us. Well, thats not true. Yes, you should not be eating 2500 calories a day but for your weight and height, you should not consume less than 1500-1600 calories a day. Healthy calories is what you want. You need to shock your body to get it out of the same old routine. When our body gets used to eating the same thing, exercising at the same pace, and feeling the same; you get the same results.

You can use supplements like your Vitamins, fat burners, and metabolism booster to help shock your body. Of course, make sure they are 100% natural. My products are 100% plant-based if interested.

http://www.showstopperwraps.myitworks.com/shop/category/#57

Here is how you can shock your body. These are different foods you can eat for your meals.

Morning

snack

• almonds (great for burning belly fat)
  • berries, apples, banana
  • protein shake
  • yogurt
  • smoothie

lunch

• Take another Thermofit (metabolism booster)
  • salad with Protein (chicken, fish, steak) make it very colorful
  • Turkey and provolone sandwich on whole grain
  • grilled chicken breast sandwich on whole grain
  • veggie Soup
  • tuna salad

dinner

• Take a Fat Fighter during heavy meals
  • weight lift before dinner
  • sweet potatoe (smart balance & cinnamon)
  • fish, chicken, pork loin (grilled broiled, baked)
  • veggies
  • whole wheat Pasta
  • Brown Rice
  • roasted potatoes
  • Take a Fat Fighter during heavy meals

snack

**** Drink lots of water!!!!

Thanks so much for all the input/advice, expeciall to Showstopper for the large amount of detail. I'll definatly update on progress.

Thanks so much for all the input/advice, expeciall to Showstopper for the large amount of detail. I'll definatly update on progress.

You're welcome. I just want to see other do well with their weight loss. Good Luck

I am just getting over the 40lb plateau but wanted to mention that my NP said it's the most common plateau for her patients, it generally happens when your body has really adjusted to the new lifestyle. I am currently cutting back from 1600cals to 1400 and adding an extra set of weight training to my cardio. So far down 2lbs in 2 weeks finally!