Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where's your port?

Hello Bandsters!

I am planning to have surgery in July with Dr. Rumbaut and have found this site so helpful in gathering information - THANK YOU ALL!

One thing I haven't found yet is anything on port placement. I've heard that most doctors place it near the waistline and that it causes pain when bending over. A friend of mine just had her surgery a few weeks ago and requested that it be placed right below her breast bone - several inches above her waistline - so far she's happy.

I'm really interested in finding out where your port is placed and if you're happy with its location, especially as you get nearer your goal.

Best wishes to everyone!

Andy Liz :cheer2:

My port is about 4 inches above my belly button and about 2 inches to the left. The surgeon told me that she wouldn't know where she could put it until she got in there. It had to be a place that wasn't too thick with fat, and embedded in the muscle tissue. So far I'm happy with where it was placed, but didn't have much say about it at all.

Hi Andy Liz,

I had surgery with Dr. Rumbaut in March. My port scar is to the left and just below my belly button. I didn't know I had any say in the location of the port but I'm not sure where I would have requested it had I known I could! lol Another lady who was banded the same day as I was had her port placed just below the breast bone and, I understand that Cathy, Dr. Rumbaut's U.S. liason has her port placed there as well.

I think if I could have chosen a location for my port incision I would have had it close to where it is but a couple of inches lower. That way it would be well below my waistband area and bending would have been easier sooner. As it is, as the incision site heals more and more every day, it's not really a problem so I'm content with where its located. Just after surgery for the first month, a little lower or a little higher would have been better!

Give Cathy a call and ask her what she thinks about port location. Good luck on your surgery. Keep posting so I can keep up with your progress.

I was told during info seminar that "this is where the dr. places it." I was very concerned about the placement for leaning over, waistbands, etc. I contacted the surgery center and was told the the doc would put it wherever I wanted if it was possible. It never occurred to me to talk to him about it. Sooo, if you have preferences, talk to the Dr. when he chats with you just before you go to the OR.

Mine ended up about 4" above my belly button and about 2-1/4 inches to the right (my right.) I'm happy with it.

On my operataive report, Dr. Sanchez writes that its placed in the upper left quadrant of the abdomen area. My scar is to my left about 2-3" above my belly button.

My port is a couple of inches below my ribs on my right side. So far so good. It does buldge out but I can't complain. At 49 years old, I don't have any plans for wearing a bikini so noone's going to see it anyway.

My port is about 3 inches above my belly button and about 4 inches to the left. I have no problem with the location.

I have requested my surgeon to place mine on the right side just below my "braline". I sleep exclusively on my left side so I don't want it on that side. He said fine just remind him and also we are writing on my tummy with an indelible marker the day of surgery. M

Mine is about two inches under my right breast just below my bra line. I don't have any discomfort with my bra, bending over, etc. It's still tender from surgery but not painful at all.

Mine is about 6" above the naval and 2" to my left... no problems.

Thank you all for your responses. I honestly don't know where the doc will place my port because my entire abdomen is full of fat...! That's where I carry the majority of my weight so it's going to be interesting to see what he can do. I'm thinking the really long needle needed to access the port won't be much fun either - yikes!

Anyway, I appreciate all your replies and wish you all the very best in your weight loss journey!

Andy Liz

My port is 3 inches below my ribcage onthe left side. I hadno say in where it was going.

Mine is just below my right breast. I was aware of it at first, but it really doesn't seem to bother me now.