Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods did you have to give up?

I do ok with melted cheese as long as I take tiny bites. My veggies have to be cooked well done. I don't do tuna, but I love crab salad, egg salad and chicken salad. Take your time and explore "new" old foods. It is amazing how good food taste when you take the time to acually chew it well and take the time to enjoy it. ~Mandy

Soft breads are a no go, and ground meats: hamburger, sausage, meatballs, meatloaf, etc.

Also, I have developed lactose intolerance my Mother has it so maybe it was going to happen anyway.

tuna is great for me!! I have a problem with dry turkey, chicken anything that is dry!! I am terrible I stick with foods that I know will go down, I don't like to try anything that is new!! I guess that is why the weight has stopped going off!! Steak I can eat it as long as it meduim done and I take super small bites of it....Mandy is right when you take your time eating the foods, you can savor it more then just shoving it all in your mouth at once and that is what I have noticed lately...the things that I didn't like, I like now and it is because it does taste much better!!

Well its been a year and still most mornings nothing stays down... geez It seems like I should be skiny by now considering what I can't tolerate any more..

chips, corncurls,muffins, cake, cornbread,any bread !, rice, Pasta sometimes, all meats, pancakes, most fruit... but I am missing one or two molars and that might account for the difficulty.

I lived for quite a few months on good old fashioned Soups. I made lots of them, pureed them and had a cup whenever I was hungry. And you know I think that was perhaps a very healthy thing.

Having said I cant eat pasta, I did have some today with no problem. Its all very odd, but Ive learned to just go with the flow. I do find it stressful when I go out to dinner though. I dont know what it is but I always have problems when I'm out with others eating. I want a drink but I know that will mess me up with eating.... I try not to eat too fast but I always have to visit the bathroom at least once, but now that I think of it I think that often when I'm out to dinner I am not necessarily hungry but I still eat. You make a date for dinner at 7pm but yr not really hungry but geez that never stopped me before lol ........ I used to want food as soon as I smelled it, and part of me still does. So I try not to make dinner dates. If im near a restaurant when Im hungry , fine I'll go in but otherwise Im not bothering at least thats how I feel now.

lildarlin- I put light shredded cheese on a poached egg and eat it for brunch sometimes. Sometimes melted cheese helps stuff go down for me.

My list of no-nos:

-CROUTONS (my first and only PB & sliming incident)

-Roast

-Steak

-Bread (any and all, booohhooooo! How I loved bread, as is evidenced by my bosoming backside!!)

:D Kristin

i let my band make those decisions daily. somedays bread is A-OK! somedays i know not to try it. one day a bite of pork feels like its strangling me the next time i have them i can have 2-3 ozs no problem. i have gotten stuck on all kinds of things at one time or another.

you will know when you are tight or loose based on your drinking. basically if liquids sit in your pouch for more than 1-2 seconds then BE CAREFUL when its time to eat. if you can drink a whole 16 oz cup of something within 10 minutes before eating just follow basic bandster rules for eating.

the above only applies when i have restriction. if i were even .2 cc looser i could eat ANYTHING on any day at any time...as long as i was careful.

My "no/no" list changes daily. However, no bread (white flour) of any type, no rice, little potatoe. The only fast food I seem to tolerate is Mexican (and then the corn tortillias). No dry meat of any kind. However, like so many, one day I can't and the next week I can. But....after a few "bad" episodes of pbing I simply don't try it again...it's just not worth it.

I have been lucky, so far I haven't had to give up anything. I do not eat much bread, or rice, but that is only by choice because of the extra calories. Just remember just because you couldn't eat it before doesn't mean you still can't. I find it is a trial and error thing with my band, you just have to keep experimenting because it is so fickle!

I'm only 2.5 mos out but I'm filled to 50%. So far there are no foods I've had to give up, but there have been some I've wanted to. Ground sirloin/chuck/hamburger for one. Now that I have to chew things so much, I find the texture very unpleasant, and it quickly loses its taste, plus you can only chew it so much and it never quite goes to goo, more like goo with pieces of ligament in it. Blech!! I never cared for hamburger too much pre-banding, unless it was in something else (lasagna...) so no big loss there.

I've given up white bread, again - no big loss. I haven't even tried to eat it post-banding. I don't miss it so why bother, plus I know that it causes so many people so much trouble that I'm like -- why bother?

I've given up corn for now, but may try it someday. I think it's something I'm likely to have a hard time with, so while I miss the corn salsa on my bol, I'm not hurting any.

Let's see, what else... lots and lots of other things I haven't necessarily given up, because I could easily have them, but I'm choosing not to. Things like ice cream (the real stuff), butter, fatty dressings, reguar Peanut Butter (IMO - the low fat/carb really does taste better, esp. the Peter Pan lowfat).

I haven't tried steak yet, but I'm not a big steak fan so no real loss there either. Pre-banding I'd order chicken over steak 9 times out of 10.

Now if I ever have the problems with chicken that I read about so many others having... then me and my band are going to have to have some words...

Edited to add rice - haven't tried it, don't find it worth the risk. If there are a few grains stuck on something else I'm eating, like lastnight the meat from my chicken burrito had a few grains mixed in it, I'll eat that, but not a forkful of rice.

So far I can't eat Mcdonald's anything. I also have gotten stuck three times on eggs, so I'm thinking I can't eat them any more. Once I got stuck on sushi rice. Other than those things everything else seems fine.

I was banded 12/7/05 and have lost 68 pounds. I had a hysterectomy 4/10/06 and my weight loss slowed down because I cannot exercise right now because of the surgery.

I can't eat red meat anymore. For the most part, I can eat chicken if it's moist and chew it well, but at times, it does bother me. I recently went to a local butcher who makes his own pork sausage. I asked him if he can make me sausage with chicken breast meat and he did. (most chicken sausage in the store is made with chicken legs and thighs). It was delicious. This week I asked him if he could make sausage patties with chicken breast and he did. They were wonderful on the grill. The family loved it as well.

Ask your local butcher if he will make sausage with chicken breast meat. I highly recommend it. It's grounded up and goes down great!!

Sharon

Hi all,

I am just one week banded and wonder if anyone has had trouble with cheese once they have moved into the "real food" phase. I love cheese and would absolutely hate if I had to give it up!

I am able to tolerate a bite or two of just about anything. I have to know when to stop though. Like most bandsters, bread, dry chicken, breading, tortillas, and cake give me a hard time. But then again that's what got me over 300lbs. :D

Sharon! I forgot about chicken sausage! I had some last summer and it was excellent. I'm going to have to get some.

Since I last posted on here I've been trying new things. No fill yet, only 6 weeks out, but have major restriction still. I can only eat about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of food at a time.

My list of "can eat" is longer than my cannot. So far I cannot eat oatmeal, pureed strawberries and cold Breakfast Cereal.

I have tried pork ribs and a vidalia onion hamburger (no bun), I have to take pea sized bites and chew very well, but meat is going down without incident. I could only eat 1/2 the burger, 8 carrot slices and 2 Pasta noodles from my husbands salad I made him. Not too much!

My sheet from the nutritionist says you can have fluffy rice, haven't tried that. Breakfast is hard for me, nothing much but Protein shakes and thin cream of wheat goes down easily. Today though, I'm home and my daughter is sick, so I tried toasting an english muffin really well. It got toasted pretty well and with small bites and lots of chewing, I was able to eat 1/2 of it. I know it needed to be toasted more. My nutritionist said it will work if it is crispy. Not sure how to get it so crispy without burning it?

Hoping I can tolerate some fruits. Can't wait to try an apple, no skin. I ate an apple everyday pre-banding and I miss them!!