Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I saw a old friend today that I use to work with. We chatted it up and she mention that she was having the sleeve surgery soon so I felt comfortable to tell her I'm recently got banded. First thing out her mouth was I WAS YOU WOULDN'T HAVE GOT THAT THING. So I asked why of course she stayed everybody in my gastric sleeve forum and my doctors says the band is useless it erodes and messes up everything and you basically have to do everything on your own to lose weight. I got slightly offended but I understand that to each its own. I advised to her that I done plenty of reach on all types of Weight loss surgery and I wanted something less evasive and plus I can get it revise if any problems I don't want to be that type of person in my weight loss to drag people down with all the what ifs because being obese in its self is like a walking time bomb I'm proud of my choice. Just wanted to vent HAPPY SATURDAY GUYS

I've heard all those things. But you can't argue with success. And I'm 5 years out now so I would LOVE anyone to tell me that the band doesn't work. Funny how no one says that to me anymore.

seems to me, opinions are like a-ssholes....everyone has one

you just worry about you and do your thing and get healthy

people who say neg things are the ones who have no clue how it works or what it is...

and def are not worth your time...

my dr wanted me to do the bypass duee to my size (tall as i was wide)

i def showed them that i can make the band work.....and so will you :)

Man, I haven't bothered to go to any other wl sites but I have overheard conversations about other sites and their animosity towards the band. What gives? lol To each their own, but I am frustrated that people are formulating opinions on single stories or the rare statistic (they exist in all procedures you know !!!) lol

Man' date=' I haven't bothered to go to any other wl sites but I have overheard conversations about other sites and their animosity towards the band. What gives? lol To each their own, but I am frustrated that people are formulating opinions on single stories or the rare statistic (they exist in all procedures you know !!!) lol[/quote']

That's what I'm saying!!!

It's just another example of uninformed ignorance.

I was originally told Gastric Bypass was my only choice because of my size- I was over 400 pounds with a BMI of 72. I also had friends that had Gastric Bypass or the Sleeve telling me how stupid I was for choosing the Lap Band. They all said I'd never lose enough weight with the band.

I found a new surgeon who supported my decision to get the Lap Band. Since getting my band almost 19 months ago, I've lost 227 pounds (and I'm still losing). I've actually lost 3-4 times more weight than my friends with the Sleeve or Bypass have lost, too. They're still shopping in plus sized clothing stores while I enjoy shopping in regular sized stores. Needless to say, they don't think the band is so "stupid" anymore.

Don't worry about things said to you in ignorance. Your future success will shut them right up :)

There are different procedures because we are all different. What works for one may not be the right choice for someone else. When I saw the surgeon I was open to her suggestions, I wanted the band, but if she felt something else would be better I was willing to think about it. However she felt that with the healthy habits I had already developed the lap band was the best choice for me. Also the fact that it was a way out should there be a problem. We all know that no WLS is a magic bullet, it is just a tool. It's like anything else it all has to do with what you are willing to put into it. I'm newly banded but I am not new to extreme weight loss. Just my thought on it all.

I was originally told Gastric Bypass was my only choice because of my size- I was over 400 pounds with a BMI of 72. I also had friends that had Gastric Bypass or the Sleeve telling me how stupid I was for choosing the Lap Band. They all said I'd never lose enough weight with the band.

I found a new surgeon who supported my decision to get the Lap Band. Since getting my band almost 19 months ago' date=' I've lost 227 pounds (and I'm still losing). I've actually lost 3-4 times more weight than my friends with the Sleeve or Bypass have lost, too. They're still shopping in plus sized clothing stores while I enjoy shopping in regular sized stores. Needless to say, they don't think the band is so "stupid" anymore.

Don't worry about things said to you in ignorance. Your future success will shut them right up :)[/quote']

Mis73 funny thing is I thought about you and all the other people I've seen on here that have been very successful with the band!!

I found a new surgeon who supported my decision to get the Lap Band. Since getting my band almost 19 months ago, I've lost 227 pounds (and I'm still losing). I've actually lost 3-4 times more weight than my friends with the Sleeve or Bypass have lost, too. They're still shopping in plus sized clothing stores while I enjoy shopping in regular sized stores. Needless to say, they don't think the band is so "stupid" anymore.

Don't worry about things said to you in ignorance. Your future success will shut them right up :)

Your success is such an inspiration to me. I'm the only person in the group session I had with those going for weight loss surgery who is getting the band, (8/12/13) everyone else choosing sleeve or bypass and I started to second guess myself wondering if I am making the right choice choosing the band but reading your posts makes me feel more positive with my decision. Thanks!

GOOD FOR YOU GIRL! My daughter had the sleeve and her surgeon told her that the band had a high failure rate. Well, my daughter came in with a gain 6 weeks after her sleeve surgery. She was eating chips, Cookies, etc. I had the band and yes I account for what I eat and log my calories on my fitness pal. My daughter does not do that and her nutritionist said she needed to be careful that she has to start eating sensibly and not to eat chips. I am so glad you chose the band.

Btw, the sleeve cannot be reversed but at least the band can be reversed if medically necessary.

Good luck to you!