Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Green Zone - 8.2cc in my 10cc band Ideas?

Hello, Not sure why this is coming up underlined! I hit the U button but I cant turn it off... sorry!

I have not posted in a while just been moving forward with my weight loss journey. I was banded at the end of November 2012 and to date I have lost around 60pounds. I have stayed the same weight for two months. I still have 40 pounds to lose. I have a 10ml band and right now I have 8.2ml in it.

I am searching for the green zone and am feeling like I may never get there. I hear people say when you get there you know it… but I am starting to think that maybe I am searching for something that I won’t find. Here are some of the things I notice:

My band has never restricted what I eat - I could always eat more by stop myself.

I can gulp Water

Eat in the morning no problems

Chicken/salad/bread not an issue

I am still hungry probably like 3 hours after I eat.

I do workout 6 days a week a mix of running, spinning, weight training etc so maybe that is affecting my hunger? I don’t want to keep getting fills – I know the amount is irrelevant but my fill is getting pretty high up there. I don’t have issues with reflux or eating anything. I sometimes get stuck if I eat too fast.

My question is do I do a Fluid check? Are there people out there with more than 8.2ml fill. Should I keep trying to get to green or am I there…?

THANK YOU!

You'll likely hear differing OPINIONS about restriction, as should be expected. So here's my experience, after I got to the GREEN ZONE, very similar to what you will find on this site ( http://www.lapband.c...-about-lapband/ )...from the maker of the LAPBAND.....

1. The LAP-BAND® System reduces your stomach's capacity, restricting the amount of food you are able to eat at one time.

"Restricting the amount of food you are ABLE to eat at one time."

BUT, it was not that way until I had adequate restriction...for me. Once I got close, it was a VERY small tweak in adjustment that made a BIG difference.

So my suggestion, if you're not satisfied....continue to discuss with your surgeon, and maybe tweak it a small amount. After all, its adjustable for a reason....

I would definitely ask the doctor to check your level of Fluid. Everybody is different and reach restriction at different levels, but 8.2 in a 10 cc band is quite a bit to feel absolutely no restriction whatsoever, and leaks are not unheard of. I'm in the zone around the 6 to 6.5 cc area.

Even the smallest amount of fill can make a difference. I have 9.5 in a 11cc band.

Well 2 things

1) How many cals to you eat. This could be problem one, especially since you workout so diligently. There's a balance between how much you eat and how much you burn that will yield wl results. So if you feel good about how the band is working than focus your attention on figuring out your green zone when it comes to how many cals you need to support your exercise.

2) If indeed you feel the band is not helping and this is all done your own will, than time for a fill. Sorry to say, but you are in that category of atypical. But that doesn't mean that it's wrong. Just means you need a filler up :)

Thanks for your replies! I have been having this maybe I am crazy and in the green zone and don't know it feeling. I will keep tweaking up my last fill was 0.2cc so I will work on slowly getting there. Its good to know some people are high on the fill level too. catfish87 thanks for the good advice - I need this band to help with my portions just a little if it can. hazelsbliss I eat around 1200 calories a day and work off around 500. I have tried to up my calories but I gain weight - I know the math does not work out and I should loose but I think I am one of those people that really does not need too many calories..... either that or someone is playing a trick on me! I was 275 and now I am 188 so I have lost a lot of weight already. I just soooo want to finish this journey off.

"My band has never restricted what I eat - I could always eat more by stop myself."

The band's job isn't to restrict what you eat. Dr. Simpson explains this very well here:

"When talking about the band, some patients talk about restriction. Let's first be clear about one thing: the purpose of the band is not restriction; the purpose of the band is to lose weight by suppressing the appetite.

When band professionals talk about restriction we are talking about something totally different than "restricting what a person eats." In fact, many band surgeons avoid talking about restriction so as to not confuse patients. The band works by dimming the appetite, and this provides a conscious control and decision made by the patient, it does not work by "making" a person do something, or keep them from eating too much."

(entire link: http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html)

On the same line of thought, just because you can gulp Water, eat in the morning, and can eat foods without issue isn't a sign you need more Fluid in your band, either.

Whether or not you need more Fluid in the band is determined by hunger. You said you can go 3 hours without hunger, so that would be borderline Most doctors (but not all) say we should be able to go at least 4 hours without hunger when in the Green Zone.

As Jim pointed out above, you'd be shocked how much even the smallest fill can make a huge difference. I've had fills as small as .1cc So, don't worry about how much is in your band. If you're not in the Green Zone now, you sound as though you're extremely close.

Best wishes!

I had 7cc's in my 10cc band. That was after only two fills. I'm able to gulp Water (for the most part), and the bites of food I take aren't tiny. I've never gotten stuck, and if it weren't for the plication, feel that I could eat more than I'm physically able (sliders are another story).

I went for a 3rd fill this week, and asked for only .25cc. The nurse didn't think that I needed the fill, because I dropped another three pounds since I'd been there three weeks prior. I just felt that I wasn't quite in that all illusive green zone, so she gave me the fill. Now I have 7.2-ish cc's in my band, and I'm sure as I move forward, will increase the amount of Fluid.

From what I've heard, how many cc's a person needs, is also dependent on how much fat, or how big they are in that area of their stomach. If someone is smaller inside, it takes more Fluid to constrict. I'm sure there are other variables, but you just have to listen to your body. Don't forget, you've lost a lot of weight already, and you're not going to continue losing at the same rate that you did in the beginning. I've been stuck at the same number for two weeks, so I stopped weighing myself; TOO annoying.

One other thing..... It is also VERY clear that when I eat high dense Protein meals, I'm satisfied for much longer, and on less food. Are you sticking to that band rule, or are some of your meals higher in carbs? Just a thought.....

... I need this band to help with my portions just a little if it can..... I was 275 and now I am 188 so I have lost a lot of weight already....

Congratulations! You have done fantastic!

As far as your band helping with portions...It can, it will, and it does....for me, now.

Best wishes on your continued success :)

My doctor said I had an allergen 10, but this device will hold up to 14 cc's of saline. You may want to ask your doctor what is the maximum Fluid for your specific device. I was surprised with his answer, but their is also fluid in the tubing ans port.

My doctor said I had an allergen 10' date=' but this device will hold up to 14 cc's of saline. You may want to ask your doctor what is the maximum Fluid for your specific device. I was surprised with his answer, but their is also Fluid in the tubing ans port.[/quote']

I didn't know the 10 band could hold up to 14cc of fluid . I have the new 14cc band, I'm wondering how many ccs it holds . Wow , need to ask my dr.......thanks for the info:-)

Hello' date=' Not sure why this is coming up underlined! I hit the U button but I cant turn it off... sorry!

I have not posted in a while just been moving forward with my weight loss journey. I was banded at the end of November 2012 and to date I have lost around 60pounds. I have stayed the same weight for two months. I still have 40 pounds to lose. I have a 10ml band and right now I have 8.2ml in it.

I am searching for the green zone and am feeling like I may never get there. I hear people say when you get there you know it… but I am starting to think that maybe I am searching for something that I won’t find. Here are some of the things I notice:

My band has never restricted what I eat - I could always eat more by stop myself.

I can gulp Water

Eat in the morning no problems

Chicken/salad/bread not an issue

I am still hungry probably like 3 hours after I eat.

I do workout 6 days a week a mix of running, spinning, weight training etc so maybe that is affecting my hunger? I don’t want to keep getting fills – I know the amount is irrelevant but my fill is getting pretty high up there. I don’t have issues with reflux or eating anything. I sometimes get stuck if I eat too fast.

My question is do I do a Fluid check? Are there people out there with more than 8.2ml fill. Should I keep trying to get to green or am I there…?

THANK YOU![/quote']

Hi

I was banded 12/28/12. I'm going for a fill on Monday in my 10cc band. I still have not hit the green zone either. I've lost 55 lbs but I'm at a standstill as well. I'm able to eat everything and gulp fluids on occasion. I try not to gulp but when I do there is no discomfort and I do keep track of my calories however. I'm hoping to hit the green zone soon.

I wanted to that you ALL for your advice. I am going to continue to tweak up but stay plugged into my band and hunger levels to make sure I am not missing the signs. I am trying but my serving sizes are down to me to control right now and sometimes that's hard! I cant eat a HUGE serving just a normal size....fingers crossed.

I was banded in September 2012 and have lost fifty six pounds so far with another fifty six to go. I'm not on a diet I live like everyone else but each month I lose a little more. I'm up to 11.5 in a 14cc band and I'm just hitting the green spot.