Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBandTalk Newsletter 07/15/2013

Hey Bandsters!

It’s hard to believe, but summer is halfway over! We hope you’re keeping cool and getting a bit of rest and relaxation during these long summer days. Of course, we also hope you’re staying on track with your weight loss goals, too! To keep you motivated, here’s what you’ll find in this month’s newsletter.

Bandster Poll: What’s the Best Part about Weight Loss Surgery?

Member Spotlight: Meet Catfish!

Weight Loss Surgery in the News: More Possible Benefits of Surgery!

Summer Reading: May We Suggest The Big Book?

After reading the newsletter, log in to the forums and talk about it or anything else that’s on your mind. Our weight loss surgery community is friendly and welcoming, so don’t be shy! Thanks for being a member and for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Alex Brecher

Founder

LapBandTalk.com

Bandster Poll: What’s the Best Part about Weight Loss Surgery?

Poll: Besides weight loss, what has been the biggest benefit since getting surgery? If you haven’t had surgery yet or if you just got it, what are you most looking forward to?

• Better health, with fewer medications and better reports from the doctor.

• More energy to do my favorite activities and keep up with friends and family.

• Clothes shopping! (Enough said).

• Self-confidence and pride in myself.

• food doesn’t rule my life any more!

• Something else – see my answer!

Mark your answer and tell us about it in the forums! We know that many of you have multiple answers, and we want to hear all of them!

Member Spotlight: Meet Catfish!

We’re pleased to feature Catfish, or David, in this month’s newsletter! David is a 43-year-old from Illinois whose highest weight was 324. He has a family history of diabetes and high blood pressure, and was living life exhausted. He finally realized that he couldn’t change his diets into lifestyle changes, His primary care physician suggested the lap-band. Within six months, he had surgery. That was in September of 2009.

Since then, he’s lost 127 pounds, and is currently at 197 pounds, fast approaching his goal of 185 pounds! David says his successes feed on themselves; as he has more energy, he feels more motivated to stay in control of his weight. He calls it “addicting!” These are David’s greatest moments, as he lists them.

1. Getting under 300 lbs.

2. Energy level improving.

3. Started to bicycle.

4. Energy level improving.

5. Being able to keep up with my teenager.

6. Energy level improving.

7. Losing that 1st 100 lbs.

8. Energy level through the roof!

9. BMI not being OBESE.

10.Cycling my first 100 KM ride this year.

11....Have I mentioned my energy level?

12. Having folks on here asking ME for advice...really, ME? The one who was ready to give up and be a failure?

Of course, David has had some challenges. Finding “that correct restriction was a challenge and time consuming,” and he was tempted to give up more than a year after surgery. From LapBandTalk.com, he learned that the successful losers were not hungry. He dedicated himself to finding the “green zone,” and after some experimentation, finally hit the right fill level!

David has used LapBandTalk.com from the beginning. He “used to just casually get on here, read what the successful and happy people were doing then try and do similar to them.” He also tried to learn from the people who were struggling. He still visits the forums most days, and really appreciates the old-timers who continue to post and help others. At LapBandTalk.com, he says, you can get information that you can’t get anywhere else. He thinks of himself as paying it forward now.

David reminds new members that he and the others have all felt the same struggles. Success requires a long-term perspective, and doing your best is the best way to achieve success. He says to be honest with yourself and your doctor.

David, we know you agreed to share your story because you are hoping it will help at least one person, and we’re sure it is helping far more than that! Thank you for being in our spotlight, and congratulations on your own success and happiness!

Do you like learning more about our members? We can’t do it without you! We need you to nominate members that you want to see featured in the newsletter. Nominate someone else or yourself in the Member Spotlight forum. If you prefer to stay anonymous, just send Alex Brecher a private message saying that you want to be in the spotlight. Thanks!

Weight Loss Surgery in the News: More Possible Benefits of Surgery

We all know that weight loss surgery can help you lose weight through restriction. The lap-band makes your stomach pouch, or stoma, smaller so that it fills up before you have eaten as much as you did before. Many lap-band patients also feel less hungry after surgery, so it’s easier to eat less. Plus, chewing your food slowly and measuring portion sizes helps you lose weight and improve your health.

Researchers are still investigating what other possible effects weight loss surgery can have. Recently, a study published by Juleen Zierath and colleagues in the scientific journal Cell Press described changes in the way your genes act after weight loss surgery. These researchers, studying roux-en-Y gastric bypass, found that six months after surgery, patients had lost on average 70 pounds and their metabolism was more like that of normal-weight individuals. That is, they had better fat metabolism and blood sugar control.

Changes like these can help you lose weight and be healthier. Losing weight and keeping it off is easier when you’re breaking fat down instead of storing it up. Also, the metabolic changes make you less likely to develop heart disease and diabetes. Finally, if you’re planning to become a parent, these changes can make your child healthier.

Summer Reading: May We Suggest The Big Book?

If you’re looking for something to read – or even if you’re not – why not try “The Big Book on the Lap-Band: Everything You Need to Lose Weight and Live Well with the Adjustable Gastric Band?” We admit that we’re biased about the book – after all, the author, Alex Brecher, is the founder of LapBandTalk.com! But that’s not the only reason why you should read this book! It’s packed with the information you need to know before and after weight loss surgery. It has step by step guidance, explanations of the surgical procedure and band-friendly meal plans for losing weight. Order your copy from Amazon or LapBandTalk.com!

That’s all we have for this newsletter. We hope you enjoyed it and it inspires you to keep pursuing your summer goals. As always, feel free to contact us at any time. See you on the forums!

Take care of yourself and each other.

Sincerely,

Alex

==============================================================

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, you may unsubscribe by going to your Control Panel and clicking on the Newsletters tab, or clicking on the following link: {unsubscribe}

Catfish is my biggest supporter! So happy to see him in the spotlight! :)

Catfish is my biggest supporter! So happy to see him in the spotlight! :)

Thanks Steph! You offer me lots of motivation too! :)

When I grow up I want to be just like you. You're my shinning star! Congrats!