Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Wisdom of The Recliner

Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It was the sin of disbelief. When those who paved the way for me spoke of the wisdom of the recliner, I said "I don't need no stinking recliner!"

Okay, so NOW I get it. The recliner isn't so much about sleeping comfortably as it is the ability to get up and down without feeling the burn. Seriously, help me out here people. I don't have a recliner. The only real chair I have is a pappasan, so I'm sleeping on my bed. Is there some technique that would make getting up off the bed any easier? Because right now it burns like a mother and I have to psych myself up for a good five minutes before each attempt. If it wasn't for the fact that I need to sit up to take my drugs and sip, sip, sip, I'd probably stay perpendicular for the next ten days.

Ow! owie owie owie ouch ouch ouch!

If I remember correctly there was a half-roll and a lot of arm work involved as I struggled to use every muscle but the ones they sewed my port into.

I sat on the couch with my legs curled up under me so that standing was easier. I did have a dutiful spouse hanging around to do all my bending and to lift my sorry butt up. Mostly I tried to avoid sitting or lying down. Once I assumed a position, it is where I stayed for a good hour or more.

Welcome to the Bandsterhood, SleepyJean!

It will get easier. Does it feel like you got tricked yet?

I like your ticker, did you make it yourself? Very nice.

Go to a bedding store (or get someone to go for you) and buy a wedge pillow. Roll to your side, legs off the bed, before trying to get up. Buy some flexi-straws so you don't have to sit up to sip. Good luck!

Don't worry....it is short lived; 2 days after surgery I was able to get out of bed (and into it) on my own without significant pain!

I had my surgery Friday and this morning was the first morning I was able to get out of bed with relative ease. We have a high bed, which didn't help matters. I would slowly roll to my left side (port is on the right). Then, I would hold onto my side where the port is and my hubby would get me upright and out of bed. Not very graceful, but it worked for me, I felt I needed to support my port, otherwise, it felt like my insides were going to tear apart.

MAybe the papasan would be a better place for you right now... although I found that being crunched up all the time made it even worse when you HAD to get up (you know, you gotta GO sometime). I think the most painful thing for me was getting off of the potty, feels like you've been doing hundreds of crunches, don't it?!?!?

Honestly, I am almost 5 months out and I hardly remember the first few weeks post-op. It is a whirlwind of liquids, dazed and confused, and lots of resting. I DO remember that liquids in = liquids out - so don't freak when it happens!!!!

Good Luck, Congrats, & Welcome to Bandland!!!

~cheri

Yes there is a technique.

Step 1 grab pillow and place over belly

Step 2 pray

Step 3 roll gingerly to the edge

Step 4 use free hand to push yourself in sitting postion

Step 5 breath

Step 6 pray

Step 7 continue to hold pillow tightly against belly and stand:clap2:

This may be too drastic for no longer than this will be an issue...but here goes. A few years ago my former MIL had an old fashioned gall bladder removal where the incision was very long. She got infected and they had a visiting nurse. The nurse took a rope thing...I am sure it was medical in nature, looked to me like a tow rope!! She hooked it under the bed to the frame of the bed and run it up to where she could reach it, and tied a knot in it. Then my MIL had something to leverage herself with. She could grabit and pull, using arm strngth, and slowly adding in abdominal muscles. She used it for several weeks. But as for your pain, I would imagine by the time you begin getting a lot of responses, it will be easing a lot! The surgery is a shock to the body but one you recover from very quickly. I know the first 2 days, I was in the hospital and had the rails on the bed to help, and coming home was kind of shocking!! But make sure you are on your side with your legs over the edge and it will make it much easier!!

As for getting off the toilet, I almost always use the one in our MB, and the vanity is close enough to leverage on. Well the second day I was home, DH was in the shower so off I headed to the other one...omg!!! I could not believe the muscles it took without the help of the counter!!

Good Luck to you, I hope your recovery is swift and complication free!!!

Kat

Try and move and walk around the house all you can it just makes it easier. My hubby helped me in and out for a couple days and then I just swung my little fat legs over and up I came. I walked in my yard and all over the house and walked two blocks outside on my second day. Good luck to you and as they havae all said it does get much better.

Definitely have to get your arm underneath you and get your legs off the side. This too shall pass!

Grab the headboard and roll your body onto the side. Release the headboard and use your elbow to lift your upper body up as you slide your legs over the bed and then use both arms to get into a sitting position. Splint your abdomen with a pillow and slowly get up to your feet.

My mother was amazing, she bought a recliner for me...decided it was the best thing in the world and bought one for herself (and a reclining couch) haha. You'll make it, it won't be bad for long

I also sinned. I did not believe that I would need the recliner but BOY HOWDY! The first time I tried to get up and out of bed I thought I was going to die. I had a breast reduction a few years ago and lived in my friend the recliner for a few weeks. In the past years it has just become a catch all in the corner of our bedroom for my laundry that I'm too lay to put away. My husband is thrilled that my clothes are put away and I'm using it for sitting again. I'm hoping to be back in bed in the next few days but until then I will continue to worship from a reclined position! :drama: