Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No support from internist

What do you do if gp will not provide letter of recommendation for lap band surgery? Even though I am 100 pounds overweight, BMI 35, borderline diabetic, degenerative lumbar discs disease, foot problems, arthritis in my back and hips, high cholesterol, my general practitioner (primary care provider) is not in favor of this kind of surgery. Insurance will wonder why the gp's letter of recommendation is missing. My orthopedic doctor supports my decision and will offer a recommendation. Any thoughts on the subject? :grouphug:

Personally, I would switch docs. It may look suspicious getting a recommendation from a brand spanking new doc, but are you really going to feel comfortable seeing your current doc when you start having questions about Hair loss, nutrition, hormone, or even med changes due to your weight loss? If he/she condemns WLS, will he/she even have answers to your questions.

If banding is the way you want to go, you need to build yourself a winning team who will support you when the going gets tough. Your doc has already 'essentially' turned his/her back on the path you intend to take.

Just my opinion, take care RLittman.

Do you really need the internist to write a letter if you can get the orthopedic guy to write it for you? I know all insurance companies have different requirements. Are you sure yours requires it?

I agree, find a new internal medicine doc. You may want to ask your surgeon's office for a referral, they know who is good and will give you the support you need after the band.

I agree with the other responses. You may seek another internal med. doctor. That way, when you do have surgery, you will receive support. That is very important.

Good luck. Shawn

Yup yup. Don't worry about the letter if you don't need it. Another option is to go in for a physical and then ask to be provided with a copy of the dictation. Or, since they're recorded, you should be able to get this from past visits. My ins. co. didn't require a letter of recommendation, but my internist was more than willing to write one... to save her time I just got a copy of her dictation & submitted it.

I am 100 pounds overweight, BMI 35
Are you 100 lbs overweight, or is your BMI 35? a BMI of 35 should put you somewhere in the "25 - 40 lbs overweight" category, being 100+ pound soverweight makes your BMI more like 50ish (all depending on height, of course). I ask because if your BMI is 35, you might need more documentation/diagnosis (read: support or info from internist). If you're 100 lbs overweight, needing this is less likely.