Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why do we have toes?

:help:My son asked me this and I didn't know what to tell him.. why do we? this is driving me crazy :grouphug: I am determined to give him a good answer but I just don't know.. do you?

Toes help us balance as we stand. They help push us in the right direction...shall we tip a bit. Imagine just having a foot with no toes. We'd be all over the place and moving around soo much, just to keep still.

I use them to count to twenty. :grouphug:

Are you an Adam and Eve-r, or do you believe that feet used to be more functional like the other primates.

If you have a soft spot for Evolution (or even intelligent design) take him to the zoo to see how our closest relatives use their toes. Even if we were never tree-dwellers, toes could just be one of those fun things we have in common. Mammals are pretty darn cool. Whales have "finger bones".

Wait until he asks why men have nipples. They are on the X chromosome BTW. We have a lot of things we really don't NEED. Tonsils, the appendix, and earlobes come to mind. Eyebrows are only window dressing even if they are great for diverting Water in the shower..

Have a fun one, Brenda

Agree with Telly, its for balance. A friends father actually had both big toes amputated, I believe because of diabetes, but may be wrong. He was always unbalance after that. He had special shoes he had to wear, but still a little wobly...kind of strange they are important like that.

I use mine to pick up small objects. My husband calls me monkey toes. I think he is jelous of my giftedness. ~Mandy

I use mine to count also. Right now 2 of mine hurt...the big one had a blister that burst and the one beside it is evidently having sympathy pains for it because it is swollen and sore. I am taking a small brake from shoes and walking today. I have a big bandage on the big toe because it still bleeds and a cushion sleeve on the second one because it is sore and tender.

Teresita, try mole skin on the blister. We go to Disney and I always end up with blisters. Mole skin (really a flannel material) has an adhesive on it and it comes in 3x4 sheets, cut it to fit and gently wrap it aound that sore toe, don't remove it, let it fall off on it's own. It will protect you toe and help it heal. It's good to keep on hand so that if you start to feel a "hot spot" or preblister, then apply it and it will help prevent it from happening. It is around $3 or $4 for several sheets at Walmart in the bandaid section. I keep a pack in my firstaid kit and a pack in my luggage for trips. It is really good stuff....hijack over....please resume normal toe conversation.~Mandy

Wendy,

You crack me up girl!!! Your little boy is soo inquisitive it is cute! Hope you are doing good...By the way--did anyone fall into the "bucket" over the weekend?? lol...:faint: I told my boyfriend and he about lost it he was laughing so hard!! I hope the hubby fixed the problem..take care girl!!

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

237/210/150

5'7''

Well, toes come in handy for really heavy people, so when they drop something in the shower, they can use their toes to slide it up the tub so they can pick it up without bending over.

:-p

Actually, scientists say it is the left over signs of the webbed feet we had back when our kind were a mutated fishy. Hands too.

Humans have toes so that we can pick up our fallen underwear without bending over. You nab them in your toes, flip them in the air, catch them with your hand and throw toss them in the laundry basket.

I love my toes!

Fixed! the problem and the bucket are gone! lol yea my son asks too many questions. I know they help with balance but you know I have seen on the Discovery Channel where people in certain countries (not all peoplle but some) for some reason or another are missing their toes and they can walk, so I ruled the balance thing out cuz it's still possible without toes. (a little shaky but possible) I do think they come in handy for picking things up like our chonies and stuff ..lol and hey the male nipple thing is another one but I'll let that one go. When my son comes home from school today I'll have a good answer... Thank You !

I use my toes to hug Dawg's toes while we fall asleep at night.

For little boys, they are for standing up taller when trying to reach the cookie jar on the kitchen counter.

Some toes are just there to take the brunt of the blow when we forget where the coffee table is. OUCH!

Oh, and all my toes are for decorating with pretty colors. When they are no longer fat, I want a toe ring!

According to Wikipedia (god love that site) says something like this about toes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toes

The toes, especially the big toe, play an essential role in walking, although a loss of the smallest toe will not affect gait.

Also, another reference found on the

http://www.superfeet.com/content/facts-detail.html?FAQID=115

It is very important that we have good balance. A lot of our balance actually comes from the big toe. It is similar to the fourth leg on the coffee table.

As we stand and we pressure our big toes in a downward motion, it allows us to balance our legs above the ankle. If we were to take the big toe away, we would have to re-train the body to use different muscles and the proprioceptor nerves to balance the body.

It is very important that the big toe has proper function to it. When the foot excessively pronates and elongates, it tightens the big toe and does not allow it to flex properly when the foot leaves the ground. This is called toe off. Therefore, it can alter the way we walk, it can alter our balance, and it alters our foot function; and certainly the wear of the shoe.

By placing a footbed underneath the foot, you are going to have better foot balance, better toe off and better propulsion within the foot. This will help the foot leave the ground properly, so that your heel strikes the ground properly.

Lmao, there was another website, but wacky, I just glanced at it. It said that our toes come genetically to us as we evolved from primates :paranoid that we were tree dwellers and required toes to errmmmm, hang from trees and stuff. ROFL!

Toes are for balance but we use them for everything as aforementioned.

Fixed! the problem and the bucket are gone! lol yea my son asks too many questions. I know they help with balance but you know I have seen on the Discovery Channel where people in certain countries (not all peoplle but some) for some reason or another are missing their toes and they can walk, so I ruled the balance thing out cuz it's still possible without toes. (a little shaky but possible) I do think they come in handy for picking things up like our chonies and stuff ..lol and hey the male nipple thing is another one but I'll let that one go. When my son comes home from school today I'll have a good answer... Thank You !
LOL @ chonies. I haven't heard that in a LONG time.