Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder and lapband surgeries

I just had my gallbladder removed a month ago and I am still struggling. I still want my lapband. If anyone has the same experience, how long did you wait to have the lapband after gallbladder surgery? Please help!

I waited 11 months, but that was more my decision than anyone elses. It took about 6 months for me to feel normal again after my gallbladder surgery- maybe this is just me, but my BFF and mom said the same thing. Once I got over that I started with all the lapband stuff.

Gall bladder issues ARE and CAN BE related to ANY weight loss surgery, it's a FACT. Now as far as waiting to have surgery to get the lap band, ASK your Doctor ...GB surgery recovery is usually 2 weeks

There are some foods that should be avoided after gallbladder surgery. Generally, any foods that gave you pain before surgery will need to be avoided. It will take awhile for your body to learn how to digest fats so you should stick to a low fat diet for at least a few weeks after surgery and reintroduce them very slowly. Dairy products and too much Fiber can also cause problems.

The BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast) should be avoided if you are having problems with Constipation. However, if you are having diarrhea you may want to eat more of these foods.

Every one should avoid these:

• Fried food
  • Dairy Products Especially cheese
  • Peanut Butter
  • Red meat
  • Greasy Foods
  • Raw Vegetables
  • Caffeine
  • Alcohol (especially if you're on prescription pain pills!)
  • It's not uncommon for a Doctor to do a H. hernia repair while doing the Lap Band, seems like gall bladder could also be removed at the same time BUT....most surgeons aren't going to do that due to insurance limitations, especially when they get have the surgeons do 2 surgeries and get paid double :angry:

Every one should avoid these:

• Fried food
  • Dairy Products Especially cheese
  • Peanut Butter
  • Red meat
  • Greasy Foods
  • Raw Vegetables
  • Caffeine
  • Alcohol (especially if you're on prescription pain pills!)

I'm going to have to disagree here. Everyone should definitely not be avoiding that whole list of foods. Lean red meat and Peanut Butter are great sources of Protein. Dairy is important source of Calcium. Raw veggies are actually encouraged because they're very low calorie and loaded in valuable nutrients.

Well since the OP was asking about post-op Gall Bladder Surgery that is what I was responding to :rolleyes: If anyone wants a LB diet just check my signature line :ph34r:

I had my GB removed at the same time as my lb almost a month ago and I still have pain from the GB,usually only when laying on that side or straining more than I should. If it weren't for that I think I'd feel pretty much normal by now. I would just talk to your surgeon about it. Even with the slight pain, i feel way better now than I did prior to surgery.

Ok, so i had my GB removed years before my LB. I have to still agree with Mis73. I ate and still do eat:

Dairy Products Especially cheese

• Peanut Butter
  • Red meat
  • Raw Vegetables (i don't eat these because i don't like them. and now because of the band)
  • Caffeine
  • Alcohol

I removed the fried and high fat, because those are correct. I also had trouble in the beginning with eggs & corn. Each person is different. I have a friend that still... 10+ years later still has to take a power every day or she will have diarrhea.

some doctors will remove the GB at time of LB surg. due to the weight loss, most people will develop GB problems.

But, the LB it self does not cause GB problems....

Actually YES ANY rapid weight loss DOES cause Gallbladder problems, so that includes the band :)

How may rapid weight loss increase my chances of getting gallstones?

Losing weight very quickly may increase your chances of forming gallstones. If you have silent gallstones, you may also be more likely to develop symptoms. People who lose more than 3 pounds per week may have a greater chance of getting gallstones than those who lose weight more slowly.

Is weight cycling a problem?

Weight cycling, or losing and regaining weight repeatedly, may also lead to gallstones. The more weight you lose and regain during a cycle, the greater your chances of developing gallstones.

When trying to lose weight on your own, stay away from "crash diets" that promise to help you drop the pounds quickly. Aim for losing weight at a slower pace and keeping it off over time.

Some ways of treating obesity, such as weight-loss surgery and very low-calorie diets (VLCDs), may increase your chances of developing gallstones by promoting rapid weight loss.

Weight-loss surgery
is an operation on the stomach and/or intestines to help people lose weight by limiting food intake and/or by affecting how food is digested.

A
very low-calorie diet
is a very restrictive diet that uses a commercially prepared formula providing about 800 calories per day. A health care provider closely supervises these types of diets.

Several factors may increase your chances of having problems with gallstones after weight-loss surgery or a VLCD. They include:
  • existing gallstones before your surgery or VLCD, especially if they are causing symptoms
  • a large amount of excess weight before the surgery or VLCD
  • very rapid weight loss after the surgery or VLCD

Your chances of developing gallstones may vary by type of treatment. Diets or surgeries that cause very rapid weight loss may be more likely to lead to gallstone problems than diets or surgeries that lead to slower weight loss.

If you are starting a VLCD or having weight-loss surgery, talk to your health care provider about how to reduce your chances of getting gallstones.

The band itself does not cause gb disease weight loss caused by the band does. This is why the fatter you r the higher the chances. Because most of us have dieted on and off for years. One fad diet or another weight loss and gain up and down. This is what causes Gb disease.

Every patient is different and Gb removal effects every one differently. My recovery was quick as I was back at work in 3 days. But I think we got off the question which I think was how long too wait before having lb after Gb surg. I think that's up to the Individual person how well you heal and your doctor.

So good luck buckeye girl

The band itself does not cause gb disease weight loss caused by the band does. This is why the fatter you r the higher the chances. Because most of us have dieted on and off for years. One fad diet or another weight loss and gain up and down. This is what causes Gb disease.

Every patient is different and Gb removal effects every one differently. My recovery was quick as I was back at work in 3 days. But I think we got off the question which I think was how long too wait before having lb after Gb surg. I think that's up to the Individual person how well you heal and your doctor.

So good luck buckeye girl

Thanks all for the great info. My GB is already gone but I still want the LB. I had no idea they could do both at the same time. Honestly knowing what I know now about my recovery, I don't think I would do it that way. I am a slow and PAINFUL healer apparently :-(

I still want the LB.

I agree with mis73 as well. I had my gallbladder removed ten years before surgery. I avoided only greasy or heavily processed foods afterward as they ravaged my stomach and gave me IBS. so I generally stuck to bland foods.. (cereal, bread, etc). I was just fine. Had I have stopped eating all the things you highlighted, I'd have stopped eating period. Lol.

I had my gall bladder removed on Feb 1, 2013 and I am having LB on May 30, 2013. My surgeon, GP and LB Surgeon were completely fine with it. And said the healing process is going to be about exactly the same. They said that they will not use the same incisions that I have, so I am going to look like a collinder LOL! Other than that, he was not concerned at all. I had surgery on a Thursday and came back to work the next Tuesday. I was tired, but fine. Good luck to you.

I had my gall bladder removed on Feb 1' date=' 2013 and I am having LB on May 30, 2013. My surgeon, GP and LB Surgeon were completely fine with it. And said the healing process is going to be about exactly the same. They said that they will not use the same incisions that I have, so I am going to look like a collinder LOL! Other than that, he was not concerned at all. I had surgery on a Thursday and came back to work the next Tuesday. I was tired, but fine. Good luck to you.[/quote']

Good luck to u too!

Good luck to u too!

I had gall bladder surgery in February, and I had asked about doing the lap band at the same time. My doctor said NO. He said the gall bladder removal was a different kind of surgery, and that the lap band could be at risk from becoming infected from the gall bladder if done at the same time. I am going to have the lap band once all my pre-op gets ready. I am trying to find a nutritionist and then it has to be approved by insurance. I have done everything else. I can't wait to begin the journey with the band. I am so ready.

I had gall bladder surgery in February' date=' and I had asked about doing the lap band at the same time. My doctor said NO. He said the gall bladder removal was a different kind of surgery, and that the lap band could be at risk from becoming infected from the gall bladder if done at the same time. I am going to have the lap band once all my pre-op gets ready. I am trying to find a nutritionist and then it has to be approved by insurance. I have done everything else. I can't wait to begin the journey with the band. I am so ready.[/quote']

How do u feel after having your surgery?