Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a million dumb questions

I have my pre-op appointment in 10 days. I'm self pay, so I am fairly sure that I will be approved. My BMI is 34. I hope to have my surgery in July.

I am very worried about the actual surgery. I have never had any type of surgery and have never been in the hospital. I am also worried about the long term success rate of the lap band, and I am so so so scared that this won't work and I will have spent $10,000 and still be fat. But here are some very dumb and very basic questions that hopefully some people have the answer to.

1. In the hospital, how many people will be in the operating room? Can my mom be there with me?

2. When I'm "put under" is there a chance that I could wake up and feel something?

3. What do I wear when I have the surgery? Can I just wear regular clothes and just lift my shirt up a bit?

4. How does it feel to "wake up" after being put under?

5. Is it hard to walk to the car after the surgery?

6. What if the pain pills are too big?

7. I heard that the medicine they give you for the surgery cause vomiting, but I heard that vomiting while still in recovering can cause the lap band to slip or my stomach to rupture or tear????

Well, okay, that's only 7 questions, but I'm sure I'll have more. Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed some light on these questions and alleviate some of my fears.

First - congratulations on taking this big step. I'll try to answer from my own experience. 1. You mom will not be able to go into the operating room with you. I don't know how many people were in mine because I was already sedated but I assume it would be the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and surgical nurse. 2. No chance of you waking up during surgery. 3. They will have a gown for you that you wear during the surgery. Bring some loose fitting close to wear home. 4. You will feel a bit groggy when you wake up but it doesn't last. They will give you probably some ice chips. You may have some pain in your left shoulder from the gas they use to blow up the stomach so you will want to have some gas-x strips. It may last several days. 5. Not hard to walk to the car. They will make sure you are up walking before they release you. 6. Have some liquid aspirin to take at home. Pain will not be unbearable but will be uncomfortable. 7. Some people do get nauseated from anesthesia but it's just a small percent of people.

You should feel comfortable talking to your surgeon on his office about any questions you have. They will give you instructions before you leave the hospital. You will be fine. Best of luck.

1. In the hospital, how many people will be in the operating room? Can my mom be there with me She can be in the Pre-op room then they usually tell family members to go wait in the Out patient waiting area.

2. When I'm "put under" is there a chance that I could wake up and feel something? HIGHLY Unlikely... I've been operated on soooo many times at least 10 and #11 THIS Tues for ulnar nerver neuropathy release surgery...UGH :unsure:

3. What do I wear when I have the surgery? Can I just wear regular clothes and just lift my shirt up a bit Wear comfortable, easy on /off clothing, I didn't even bother with a bra. :P

4. How does it feel to "wake up" after being put under Your pretty drowsy, you go in and out of sleep mode easily, I woke up to eat ice chips and fell back to sleep, but your conscious enough to get to the wheelchair to go home.

5. Is it hard to walk to the car after the surgery No, but Hospital policy is to take a wheelchair :)

6. What if the pain pills are too big? most surgeons use liquid pain meds, if not suggest it

7. I heard that the medicine they give you for the surgery cause vomiting

It can make you Nauseous but either way they will give you meds to quell nausea, (vomiting which is rare) but I heard that vomiting while still in recovering can cause the lap band to slip ​ Normally this isn't a concern until after recovery.. and weeks post-op. I experienced violent vomiting due to food poisoning years after being banded and I didn't slip (not that it Can't happen) but it's NOT as prevalent as it used to be because of the surgical technique used.

Well, okay, that's only 7 questions, but I'm sure I'll have more. Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed some light on these questions and alleviate some of my fears. No problem... good luck and keep the questions coming....

You really need to talk to your surgeon for help with these questions. It will depend on where you have your surgery (hospital or clinic), if you will be admitted over night, etc.

My surgeon does all procedures at a hospital, so only medical personnel allowed in the OR.There were a bevy of people: nurses, anesthesiologist the surgeon, etc.

You should not wake up at any time. You're arent getting your wisdom teeth out, this is major surgery. You will be put under and monitored closely to prevent that from happening.

You should be provided a hospital gown to wear, and you will be naked under. This is in case they need to do a catheter, but the procedure is short enough that this is not usually needed. But you will be naked from the boobs to the hips during the surgery-don't freak out bc you will be asleep. Your surgeon will need access to this area because depending on your anatomy, they will need to place your incisions in the best access points for you.

if you are required to spend the night, take lose jammies and a sports bra to wear while you walk the halls. Also, if you have an upper GI scheduled for the next day you can't be wearing anything with metal so this way you don't have to change out of anything.

Hello,

I am brand new to this site, and I have a service connected disability, how do I go about receiving approval for the surgery? Can someone please inbox me or reply with some information, to point me in the right direction? Thank you

R/

Jill

All great questions....your surgical team should explain everything step-by-step until you're asleep. Feel free to ask them any questions- they are there for you. Typically the anesthesiologist will come in and speak with you before you go to the OR as well. Just relax and everything will be fine. Congratulations on starting your journey.

I had never had surgery either so it was a rude awaking. Here is my advice: Make sure your surgeon gives you a script for nausea. If you get nauseous you will be happy to have the meds. You will probably feel pain and heaviness in your chest when you wake up in recovery. For me this lasted until I could sit up and then eventually walk in the hospital (about 30-60 mins until you're out of recovery). Ask for ice chips right away when you wake up because your throat will be very dry and hard to swallow. Your abdominal muscles will probably hurt really bad especially when you sit or get up from sitting. This will go away in about a week so it's nothing to worry about. Hold your stomach with a pillow in front for the first few days when getting up. Don't worry about not wanting eat. Just make sure you are drinking enough Water the first few days.

Good luck! It's the best thing I've ever done for myself. :)

Who is your Doctor?

My doctor is Dr. Tom Brown from CBSI.