Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting into exercise

Exercise and I do not have a good history together. Somehow I ended up passing basic training for the Marine Corps by the skin of my teeth, But after I was in the field I ended up in remedial because I couldn't pass the run. I hate exercise I have a bad knee, and I'm trying to figure out how to motivate myself to exercise. I'd like to think I could eventually like it , but I don't know about that. I need to just find out how to push myself and make it a routine. Does anyone have a similar story? Or maybe some suggestions. Some encouraging words anything would be greatly appreciated. I'm not banded yet that happens May 28th.

I am 10 months post op and I have lost 55 lbs. I to find it a struggle to stay on a regular routine with exercise. Looking for the key to that success now.

I have trouble with a daily routine as well.. I love my Tae Bo , Zumba, and even the insanity workout when I feel I have the energy to do them.. I find it easier to just walk with some music.. it helps clear my head as well as gets me moving... I only do small walks right now as I was banded last wed, however.. it has me moving,, when your ready for something with weights get a small hand ones or even one of those kettle balls for the upper arms.. goodluck!

well, I can only speak for me. I was 336 at surgery and could hardly walk as I hurt too bad and was just not physically able. so I walked as much as I could...and it wasn't far let me tell you. but each day, each week that passed, as the weight came off, I was able to go farther and farther and do more (walking around drug stores like walgreens with my friend Kathy, up and down the aisles at my lunch hour) helped me more than anyone knows....and that is how I did it...and just yesterday I did my first step aerobics class in 5+ yrs...what makes me do it and keep doing it.....knowing I was this close to the 400 number....and that is motivation for me to keep doing it...even when I don't want too

I WAS the same way.... I only started cycling a little over a year ago. I couldn't even do 3 miles without being out of breath. I KNEW it would help this process of weightloss, but still....me exercise for any long term??? Never dreamed it possible!

I too, hated PT (running) while I was in the Army. Because I knew it was something I HAD to do, a requirement. Thats whats different now.....I WANT to do this, I ENJOY cycling... It may be hard to imagine now, but I really MISS it if I can't due to some issue. Sounds crazy to me too.

I'd suggest this...find ANYTHING you enjoy, ANYTHING to get moving....does not have stress your knee, maybe just upper body for now. Start out at YOUR pace so as not to get discouraged. Slowly at first....your don't have to kill yourself for it to be beneficial. Get that heart rate up a little at a time. Then try and find someone in your area to be a buddy if thats helpful, hopefully they would enjoy what you are doing as well. Similar fitness level or possibly just a step above. A MOTIVATOR, if you will. Then, COMMIT to doing that routine/exercise for one month....ONE MONTH doesn't sound like forever, and is a much easier committment at first. Make NO excuses for that one month. At the end of that month you will feel so good about yourself, an accomplishment to improve your health, that I'd lay odds you'll want to do ANOTHER month.....and WANT for me, was the key to it all. The feeling you'll have that second month, third, fourth...Hey, now you're at a YEAR and look at you go! AMAZING what that one month can do....... I wish you much success on this journey..... :)

I have bad knee also I recently switched gyms bc my old gym was very basic and all I liked to do was get on the Elliptical as it did not hurt my knees at all... My new gym through offers a varrity of low impact to high impart classes including what they call H2O Fitness which is Water aerobics ( great for anyone with joint pain).. I LOVE IT I thought it would just be something fun to do but it works the whole body. I think if you can get somewhere where you have several activitys you enjoy it will help you from getting bored or burned out of doing the same thing everyday...

Its always tough for me to get motivated, but I know how it makes me feel afterwards, which is fabulous! I love the treadmill and my iPod.

You have to find things you enjoy. For me, I love to swim and being in Water. I fractured my ankle in two places around Thanksgiving and since then it's been a little difficult for me to put a bunch of weight for an extended period of time. I'm lucky that (for now) my job offers fitness classes like yoga and kickboxing, and three times a week I take advantage of class. I found a gym that has a 24 hour pool and I use that whenever I can. Swimming for me doesn't really seem like an exercise, even though it works you out more than lots of other things.

I also am trying to take more walks with my kids, as it's been really great weather. Every little bit helps, but if you just do treadmills or things that don't interest you, you'll burn out. I hope to get a bike soon!

I agree with the others, you just need to try a variety of things until you find one that you like. Having a buddy helps too. I started with a low impact boot camp class last January and though I stopped doing it at the end of the summer, I have kept up with walking and hand weights as I don't want to lose all the flexibilty I was starting to gain. I love my walks with my Ipod. I'm even starting to jog a little, but I don't last very long with that, hopefully after some of the weight comes off that will be easier. As a single parent, it is "my time". I get cranky when I don't get to do it. At first I think it is hard to get and stay motivated, but once you make it a habit, you'll miss it when you don't do it.

I agree find something you enjoy....dont try doing zumba 3 times a week if you hate it....or anything else cuz you hear its good exersize,,,,

I started at 257 I couldnt walk to my mail box with out huffin....now I love walking ..nothing fancy....and if there is a morning Im feeling like I dont wanna..or its a day im spending in the car lotss...its ok....i walk around the house or any store or building i might be at that day....

I got a FITBIT for christmas this year and it really helps you want to add steps to your day..it syncs to myfitnesspal......its just another fun tool !!!!

Exercise and I do not have a good history together. Somehow I ended up passing basic training for the Marine Corps by the skin of my teeth, But after I was in the field I ended up in remedial because I couldn't pass the run. I hate exercise I have a bad knee, and I'm trying to figure out how to motivate myself to exercise. I'd like to think I could eventually like it , but I don't know about that. I need to just find out how to push myself and make it a routine. Does anyone have a similar story? Or maybe some suggestions. Some encouraging words anything would be greatly appreciated. I'm not banded yet that happens May 28th.

I was 29 and overweight when I was in Army basic training. Everyone around me was a fit 18 or 19. I didn't pass my PT test till the very last one, a few days before graduation. In fact, if I hadn't passed it, they would have held me back. And my husband was already enroute to Missouri from Calif to see me - so I basically HAD to pass. Barely, but I did it. I was in the Army for 4 yrs and managed to pass my PT every year I was in. Barely.

Now, I HATE running. Refuse to run. I walk on the treadmill for 45 mins 3x a week and do weight machines for 20-25 mins. I go with my husband so he keeps me motivated. Altho he runs while I walk.

Just start a 10 minute walk and add 5 minutes each week till you've reached your desired goal. Walking is great exercise. But you do need to break a little sweat, so go at a pace that is challenging, but not hard.

Good luck!

Marci

Stept04, That's a good question...but we have to start somewhere. I have the bad feet, knees, hips, and back. I got a personal trainer at the local Y. I have had a membership for probably 5 years and only started going when it's obvious I must do something!

Please, for the rest of your life; start somewhere, you will feel better for it. Those endorphins are amazing buddies. I'd be happy to help encourage you along your journey. Pick something and do it routinely, like an appointment. Your appointment to better health.

I am pre-op, just met with the dietitian today. I don't expect to get a surgery date for a couple of months. Whatever you do, start slow, but be steady and make a goal of it. I'm on My Fitness Pal (kkua). We can do this together.

Best Wishes

I bought a punching bag for my son a few years ago. One day I was playing around and punched it. I fell in love. I now have a mini boxing gym in my spare bedroom that the entire family enjoys. The speed bag is my favorite. The point of the story is that you never know what you're going to like, so try a lot of different stuff. I never would have thought a wimpy mother of four would start boxing at the age of 40.

ps. I only hit bags because they don't hit back :)

I try to do things I enjoy -

Bicycling

Tennis - hitting against a ball machine

When I don't have the time or cant get motivated I walk.

Exercise and I do not have a good history together. Somehow I ended up passing basic training for the Marine Corps by the skin of my teeth' date=' But after I was in the field I ended up in remedial because I couldn't pass the run. I hate exercise I have a bad knee, and I'm trying to figure out how to motivate myself to exercise. I'd like to think I could eventually like it , but I don't know about that. I need to just find out how to push myself and make it a routine. Does anyone have a similar story? Or maybe some suggestions. Some encouraging words anything would be greatly appreciated. I'm not banded yet that happens May 28th.[/quote']

My knees are shot so I understand. Also my back is a goner. I use to do PT in a pool and that was super but the rehab a went to closed their pool. I now go to a gym and can only do the recumbent bike. I also do some of the machines at my own pace. I actually enjoy going. I have not tried a class yet because I get too tired but then I am not young anymore, I 62. Do you have a person you can go with? I go with my husband and that gets us both there. He has been very sick for almost 2 years and the gym helps with his muscles.

Where I live south of Boston the gyms are $10. per month and the price helps.