Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with Fills. What is normal?

Hi All,

I had my surgery October 2012 and had a complication. I was totally occluded and could not eat or drink for a few days and had to go to the ER for fluids and to have all Fluid removed from the band. For my first fill the doc could not hit the port and had to access using flouroscope. He also adjusted the fill using flouro as I swallowed contrast. Between October and January 2013 I lost 50 pounds. Since then I had had three fills, and only lost 6 pounds in two months. I have never had much restriction. I can pretty much eat anything. The Doc says I am doing OK and will only inject .3 cc per fill. I just had another fill yesterday and still can't tell a difference. I have to pay $100 out of pocket for each fill. My wife and I are beginning to question if I am being used as a cash cow. My surgeon has a great reputation, so I do not want to believe this. Everyone I seem to talk with has had one or two fills, or none at all.

Have any of you had the same experience as me? How many fills have you had?

Thanks!

1) I think your doctor sees your progress and that you're doing so well and therefore doesn't feel the need to be aggressive with your fills (great job on your loss btw!)

2) Or maybe he doesn't want to overfill you since you already once had an issue

Lapbandster hit the nail on the head. I had 4 fills before I started to lose and it took 6 to get me to the green zone.

6 lbs in 2 months is not great but it's still within the norms.

What are you eating that you feel no restriction? Do you track calories? Exercise?

BTW-I've had 8 adjustments so far. 7 fills and 1 small unfill. And, injecting fills and finding the perfect adjustment is an art and not a science. Sneaking up on the green zone is the safest way to proceed.

I think you are doing great! The important thing is that you keep following the dietitians advice concerning Protein and portion intake. Do you feel satisfied after eating, with no late night urges for carb munchies?

I GAINED weight after surgery... I didn't start losing until after my third fill. And, I also joined a "no judgement" gym for cardio. A lot of folks lose weight quickly, then hit slow periods with little or no weight loss. Too much fill can lead to weight gain and some unhealthy side effects if there is too much restriction.

My APRN (who does the fills) told me he is happy to see a 1/4 pound a week weight loss. I've lost a total of 33 pounds since my December 2012 surgery. I wish I was doing as great as you are!

I had to pay out of pocket for fills too. I was frustrated too. I would be really hungry, get a fill and then get sick even on Protein Shakes. That required another hour drive to the doc. and another payment to have some of the Fluid removed. I did have months here and there where I had "restriction", but it overall wasn't the tool I hoped it would be. I did manage to loose all my excess weight by sticking to a lowcarb/lowfat diet and working out almost every day. Unfortunately I have gained quite a bit back. Struggling to get back on track. My band is not filled much, had a bunch taken out after I lost the weight. I wanted to be able to eat a real breakfast, not just a shake et.. I know I should go in for a fill, but my experience with them is not great as I've said. I also have to admit to being embarrassed about the weight gain. My plan now is lowfat, good carbs and lots of Protein and work out regularly. I think I was too strict with myself and lost the weight too fast (107 pounds in 10 months). I never really made a "lifestyle" change. So far it's been a really good week.

I am sorry the band isn't working as well for you as you would like. My doctor was really good about listening to me and giving fills when I felt I needed one. We talked together about it. You may want to have a talk with your dr. about more aggressive fills. .3 really isn't all that much. Go in with a record of what your eating when and how satisfied you are for how long. As mentioned, it may be that the previous issue you had is making him conservative with the fills. It's worth a heart to heart I think. Explain that also you have lost weight (which is awsome) but that you are dealing with a lot of hunger.

Best of luck!

Veronica

I can eat a lot more then I am supposed to but I don't. I measure everything I eat. Make sure you are eating high Protein solids eat slow and chew well. Try tracking your foods and meeting with a nutritionist that works with you doctor. The band doesn't make you lose weight it helps you feel satisfied between meals. Calories in vs Calories burned is what makes us lose. Hang in there and stay strong!!

You say "I can eat pretty much anything". You should be able to eat pretty much anything. That band isn't supposed to physically you stop you from eating anything. Nor is it supposed to force you to eat the right sized portions. It will always be your job to control what and how much you eat, not the band. This is why it's so important to eat a healthy diet and stick to band sized portions.

What the band is supposed to do is allow you feel satisfied on less food for longer periods of time.

Have a look at this link, I think it will help you have realistic expectations of your band: http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

Best wishes.

Thanks Guys!

It helps to know I am not the only one. I have to remind myself that this is a marathon and not a sprint.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I CAN eat anything I want. The only thing that I have had stick was a baked chicken breast that I ate too fast.. I really think that band is working in that I eat three pretty small meals, Greek Yogurt and a little chicken salad for Breakfast, two reasonable veggie dishes such as Beans for lunch. dinner is the hardest. That's when I usually eat too much. I do feel full and really don't snack and have eliminated sugar totally.

No, I do not excercise. No excuses! If I did I am sure I would losing 5 to 6 pounds a month. I think I will ask for a more aggresive fill next month. Funny thing is that I don't feel any difference after the fillls. As for any food I want, I can eat bread, chips, steak, although I try to minimize those foods.

You say "I can eat pretty much anything". You should be able to eat pretty much anything. That band isn't supposed to physically you stop you from eating anything. Nor is it supposed to force you to eat the right sized portions. It will always be your job to control what and how much you eat, not the band. This is why it's so important to eat a healthy diet and stick to band sized portions.

What the band is supposed to do is allow you feel satisfied on less food for longer periods of time.

Have a look at this link, I think it will help you have realistic expectations of your band: http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

Best wishes.

Missy - thanks for the link. Excellent info!

i dont think (there is a normal)

each person is different and will experience different things...def read the link mis provided as it is explains alot.....you have lost alot, that is great news. and just because the scale is not moving as fast as it was (or to your liking) doesnt mean you are not doing well... good job.

Lots of good info from the posters before me! I'd add a couple things.

#1. WHEN your doc did your fill using Fluoro, you lost 50#'s in four months....pretty darn awesome! Thats above the norm.

#2. Now that you have lost weight, you state your doc is now only adding .3cc's per fill, and you can't feel ANY difference/restriction.

You didn't say if your doc is still doing your fills using fluoro, but considering you state he won't add more than .3cc's, I suppose he's not.

Seems like a great idea to me, if you get your fills done like you did when you lost 50#'s in four months....with fluoro. There are other benefits to it besides getting you to adequate restriction. I would have NEVER got to restriction without fluoro...read my story, or PM me for details.

I didn't / wouldn't / couldn't ( take your pick ) control my portions WITHOUT restriction. Thats why I chose the lapband. Its adjustable. And its working for me, now that I have to really slow down and chew, chew, chew. And I have absolutely NO heartburn/reflux..

I'm not advocating being in the red zone...just very good restriction. It works for me. Hopefully, you'll find that same zone soon. Best wishes for your continued success!

Heres a link to my surgeons Fluoro page and the benefits of it. http://www.hoab.org/fluoroscopy-machine-st-louis-missouri/

Lots of good info from the posters before me! I'd add a couple things.

#1. WHEN your doc did your fill using Fluoro, you lost 50#'s in four months....pretty darn awesome! Thats above the norm.

#2. Now that you have lost weight, you state your doc is now only adding .3cc's per fill, and you can't feel ANY difference/restriction.

You didn't say if your doc is still doing your fills using fluoro, but considering you state he won't add more than .3cc's, I suppose he's not.

Seems like a great idea to me, if you get your fills done like you did when you lost 50#'s in four months....with fluoro. There are other benefits to it besides getting you to adequate restriction. I would have NEVER got to restriction without fluoro...read my story, or PM me for details.

I didn't / wouldn't / couldn't ( take your pick ) control my portions WITHOUT restriction. Thats why I chose the lapband. Its adjustable. And its working for me, now that I have to really slow down and chew, chew, chew. And I have absolutely NO heartburn/reflux..

I'm not advocating being in the red zone...just very good restriction. It works for me. Hopefully, you'll find that same zone soon. Best wishes for your continued success!

Heres a link to my surgeons Fluoro page and the benefits of it. http://www.hoab.org/...louis-missouri/

Thanks David,

I think the reason I lost so much weight initally was because I was totally obstructed fo several days. As he could not find the port on the first fill we had to do flouro to hit it. As I was already there he "optimized" my band. As I can't ever seem to tell the difference after a fill I am concerned that the band is either, 1. leaking, or, un-buckling. I am beginning to now see that the band is different for everyone. Some apparantly feel restriction, and some do not. I think I would feel that everything was normal if I had at least SOME restriction.

Your doc can tell if it's leaking just by checking volume of Fluid. Thats Easy! They cannot however check to see if it's providing you correct restriction just by the amount of fluid.