Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS Treatment Options Help?

Kim, I had/have PCOS for years. Once my waited topped to it's highest I would never have a period without "help." My Gyn. just prescribe the Provera (progesterone) to get my periods started. She said you need a period at least every 3 months to help prevent cervical cancer. I didn't need birth control as my husband is fixed.

I had the typical acne, hair growth, missed periods symptoms.

Now that I've lost weight. I get a period every month without the "help." Also, the acne and Hair growth has slowed. Am I cured? Hmm, not sure..I'll have to ask next visit.

Shawn

Hey Shawn - sounds like you're doing good! I'm encouraged! I hope weight loss will fix this. Weird thing for me is that I've never had any problems with regular periods. Always like clockwork, always normal. Just the high bp, unwanted hair, acne, weight and now elevated hormones. Wonder why I'm taking something like this? They actually said it would stop my period. Very strange I thought.....

Hey Shawn - sounds like you're doing good! I'm encouraged! I hope weight loss will fix this. Weird thing for me is that I've never had any problems with regular periods. Always like clockwork, always normal. Just the high bp, unwanted hair, acne, weight and now elevated hormones. Wonder why I'm taking something like this? They actually said it would stop my period. Very strange I thought.....
Kim, I'm sorry if I came across as though you shouldn't trust your surgeon and/or his nurse but what they were telling you/giving you just sounds so odd to me. What shocks me is that you're just now being diagnosed with it, after losing a significant amount of weight. You'd think that the weight loss would have slowed a lot of your symptoms down, or even eliminated them. Of course, everyone is different. I just hope that with your continued weight loss and prescriptions that you'll notice a difference. Good luck to you! ;)

Ah Tricia - I'm feeling the same way about the doc. I just don't get the treatment. I have posted on a PCOS board, but don't have any word back yet. I appreciate all your help more than you know.

Ah Tricia - I'm feeling the same way about the doc. I just don't get the treatment. I have posted on a PCOS board, but don't have any word back yet. I appreciate all your help more than you know.
;) I'm here to help....if I can. *hugs*

Weird thing for me is that I've never had any problems with regular periods. Always like clockwork, always normal. Just the high bp, unwanted hair, acne, weight and now elevated hormones. Wonder why I'm taking something like this? They actually said it would stop my period. Very strange I thought.....

Kim,

Im chiming in here - basically just to keep up with this thread. But I did want to add something...

I have all the symptoms of PCOS that you do - I even have regular periods as well.

When I brought my concerns up (regarding PCOS) MY gyn said that if a patient has regular periods then they do NOT have PCOS... i dunno. Now Im confused. ;) (I usually stay that way)

Me, too Paula! But hey - I'm willing to go back to the doc tomorrow with that little piece of trivia and see what he has to say :-).

Kim,

Im chiming in here - basically just to keep up with this thread. But I did want to add something...

I have all the symptoms of PCOS that you do - I even have regular periods as well.

When I brought my concerns up (regarding PCOS) MY gyn said that if a patient has regular periods then they do NOT have PCOS... i dunno. Now Im confused. ;) (I usually stay that way)

Your doctor is also misinformed. Absent or irregular periods is only ONE of the many possible symptoms of PCOS. I'm one that has always had regular periods and I was positively diagnosed with PCOS. No doubt about it. :) If you have multiple symptoms of PCOS, I would seriously make an appt. with an endocrinologist and get tested for it.

BTW - my ob/gyn never once asked me if I had been tested for PCOS. It was former PCP that did and sent me for testing - during my 1st visit to her. She was shocked and appalled that my ob/gyn didn't notice the signs and/or have me tested for it.

Just goes to show you that not all doctors know what they're talking about.

Good luck.

Hi Kim, I have PCOS too. There is a great site called soulcysters.com you can get more info on.

I also can't take BC because of my age and weight and high cholestral, but I wish I could, because when I did it helped. The glucophage made me really sick, but it does help the body process the insulin, which is our main problem.

Just a word to the wise: Go every year fro your gyno exam. Women with PCOS are at risk for other diseases such as ovarian cancer and other risky things. SO go! No more ten years deal, it could cost you!

I'm going through siomething with it right now and awaiting further tests.

*shakes finger*:confused:

Leener --- yes, I deserve that finger shaking. I was always too self conscious to go the obgyn... Hell fire - my husband doesn't see that much of me... LOL. I have learned my lesson and will continue to go regularly! I hope all turns out ok with your tests! It's comforting to know that there are many around this board with experience with this... I did try the soulcysters board and posted there and have gotten a little bit of helpful feedback. Basically, most are on Metformin to control insulin. BC masks the symptoms but doesn't fix the problem is what I've found so far. I have decided not to take the meds the doc prescribed until I get a better explanation of why I'm taking them. So far the explanation is not a good enough one for me. If it's strictly for diagnosis, then I don't see putting myself at risk for pulmonary embolism and the like by taking the meds when I'm sure there's another way to confirm it. Thanks for your input!!!!! Talk to you soon.

Tricia, I agree with you about the list of symptoms (having all or just one can be signs of PCOS).

Sooooo, *the big question* why get all the special testing done if there is NO treatment plan available for this specific condition? Just for the knowledge of knowing you have it?? (does that make sense?? )

Back to Kim's original question... Anyone know of an alternative (herbal?) drug to treat this?

I have a question about treatment too... do you HAVE to treat it? I mean, if you're not trying to get pregnant at the moment & you're one that has periods regularly, is it something that really needs to be treated?

Kim, just to add I'm like you, I have alays had regular periods. Always. CLockwork. Just have everything else that you do too.

Many doctors disagree about the PCOS "rules" one thing for sure, I have those cysts, I've seen them on ultrasound. And the elevations, the hair on my face, the lack of hair on my head says so too. LOL

ANyway, because your like me and cant take BC, exercise is supposed to be super helpful with PCOS. Something to do with helping insulin and the cells reaction with each other. Because in the end, insulin started the problem.

And of course weight loss will lessen the symptoms.

Sooooo, *the big question* why get all the special testing done if there is NO treatment plan available for this specific condition? Just for the knowledge of knowing you have it?? (does that make sense?? )

Back to Kim's original question... Anyone know of an alternative (herbal?) drug to treat this?

I have a question about treatment too... do you HAVE to treat it? I mean, if you're not trying to get pregnant at the moment & you're one that has periods regularly, is it something that really needs to be treated?

For me, getting the tests were more for peace of mind than anything else. I tried the Glucophage to see if it would me lose weight and reduce the excessive hair growth on my upper arms and abdomen. It didn't do anything for me in those areas but it has helped other people with PCOS. I did notice that it helped a bit with my cravings for sweets.

In any event, it's definitely a personal decision and I only suggest that one get tested if they're unsure or just need peace of mind like myself. I also think that people should have the right information regarding the syndrome. But, I don't think you necessarily have to treat it.

As far as a natural or herbal remedy, I don't know of one.

Personally, losing weight has helped with some of my symptoms.

I wish everyone the best of luck.