Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All - I decided to find a forum as I feel I need some support from those who have been through the same experiences as I. My name is Samantha and all my life I have had a good figure (please don't think I am boasting, but I have been lucky). I had my first son at 22 and second at 30. By the time I hit 30 I was also working full time, not exercising and probably way over eating on a night time to make up for barely eating all day too busy stuck to the PC!

I have always loved fashion and clothes and having been a steady 147lbs (am 5ft 10 inches) I was suddenly 154lbs and throughout my 30's it just kept creeping on, the more I dieted, the more weight I put on afterwards. In Sept 2011 at aged 42 and weighing in at 196lbs I decided enough was enough. I elected to have the band and paid for it personally. I was miserable and my weight was all I could focus on.

I had this idea that by December 2011 I would have hit goal weight (ha ha). My first fill was Nov 2011 and I felt like I could eat normally. My second fill was Dec 2011. I guess I had lost maybe 8lbs at this point. My third band fill was Jan 2012 and then I didn't have another one until August 2012. Since the August fill however, it has fallen off. I now weigh 146lbs. My goal was anywhere between 142 and 147lbs.

Obviously I am extremely happy although my husband has told me not to loose my curves lol. I feel like I would be ridiculous looking in the mirror now and saying 'does my butt look big' because it is now half the size (yet I am sure I said that originally before the weight went on) so I have and am still learning to be happy with who I am. I am lucky as the weight has come off all over evenly... I know I am very luck for this to happen.

So why at this juncture of loosing and being happier than I have been in a long time - do I need support from peeps who have been through this progress? Sometimes (not all the time) I can eat something and feel OK, but the next time I eat I feel like it has landed on what I ate before and I get 'the feeling'. It is now incredibly easy to 'get rid' of excess, but sometimes even Water will come back up - it's like there is a block. I have actually drunk a full glass of water before to try to dislodge the offending item. This works - sometimes. But recently I feel like I am bringing everything back (or almost everything). I think I still put too much on my plate but I do know now know when I have had enough.

I was thinking of going back and asking for some of the fill to be removed but absolutely don't want to put any weight back on. We are going away this weekend and I figured I would see how I go for the week and make the decision when we get back. I am assuming there may be many of you who have experienced this... it's not all the time but when it happens it seems to go on for days. I love meat and find it one of the worst things for me now... any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I think a visit with your surgeon and/or nutritionist may be a great place to start. Also, are you following the "banded guidelines" of about 3-4 ounces of solid Protein to start your meal and then 1/2 c veggies? Most docs recommend no more than 1 cup of food. Since you say you are over serving yourself, I would suggest going back to the basics of weighing and measuring your food. If I am having something like chili or stew I actually serve it in my little Rubbermaid 1 cup bowl so I know I am not over serving myself. If I am having meat/protein I will weigh it to make sure it isn't over 4 ounces. I, too, can overeat/serve easily if not doing this. Second, make sure you are taking very small bites, pausing 30 sec-1 min between, then going for the second bite (putting your fork down in between helps). If you are doing this and still having difficulty getting foods down, you may need a slight unfill or perhaps there is something else going on like a slippage of the band. I am not a doctor so your doctor could assess that best. Also, keep in mind, if you have had a stuck moment, you should stick to liquids for a day or two, then mushies, then back to normal eating. If you are trying to eat too soon after, it may still be swollen/inflamed and you will make it worse or get frustrated that food isn't going down.

I haven't done the "5 day pouch test" myself but have seen others on the site that have done this to get back on track.

Best wishes to you and congrats on your success.

I think a visit with your surgeon and/or nutritionist may be a great place to start. Also, are you following the "banded guidelines" of about 3-4 ounces of solid Protein to start your meal and then 1/2 c veggies? Most docs recommend no more than 1 cup of food. Since you say you are over serving yourself, I would suggest going back to the basics of weighing and measuring your food. If I am having something like chili or stew I actually serve it in my little Rubbermaid 1 cup bowl so I know I am not over serving myself. If I am having meat/protein I will weigh it to make sure it isn't over 4 ounces. I, too, can overeat/serve easily if not doing this. Second, make sure you are taking very small bites, pausing 30 sec-1 min between, then going for the second bite (putting your fork down in between helps). If you are doing this and still having difficulty getting foods down, you may need a slight unfill or perhaps there is something else going on like a slippage of the band. I am not a doctor so your doctor could assess that best. Also, keep in mind, if you have had a stuck moment, you should stick to liquids for a day or two, then mushies, then back to normal eating. If you are trying to eat too soon after, it may still be swollen/inflamed and you will make it worse or get frustrated that food isn't going down.

I haven't done the "5 day pouch test" myself but have seen others on the site that have done this to get back on track.

Best wishes to you and congrats on your success.

Thank you so much for your advice. I am in the UK and don't remember ever being told to do Protein first and then veggies. I also didn't know I should stay on liquids if this happens. I am feeling surprisingly better today but was just telling the girls on chat that I was quite sick last night and maybe dislodged whatever was effecting me - its weird how you can feel when something isn't right - instantly. Thank you again for answering me ;)

You're welcome. :) My doctor and nutritionist told me Protein first as it will keep you full and is what you need the most of nutritionally. You should get in at least 60 grams of Protein per day. I also notice when I get in the appropriate amount of protein it makes a huge difference in my hunger and in my weight loss. I will tell you first hand, it makes a HUGE difference in the portions I eat by eating my protein first as well. When I start w/ chicken or meat, for example, I am easily full after that and some veggies. If I start with a starch or other food (ie. salad), I can eat and eat and... :(

Also, it is very important to "take it easy" after being stuck. Your stoma gets irritated and inflamed so even though the stuck food passed by eating solid foods right after you can irritate it more and are more likely to get food stuck again. I had this happen recently and after struggling for 2 weeks I had to finally give in and get an unfill as I could barely get liquids down. It was definitely a learning process for me.

Glad you are feeling better. :D

You're welcome. :) My doctor and nutritionist told me Protein first as it will keep you full and is what you need the most of nutritionally. You should get in at least 60 grams of Protein per day. I also notice when I get in the appropriate amount of protein it makes a huge difference in my hunger and in my weight loss. I will tell you first hand, it makes a HUGE difference in the portions I eat by eating my protein first as well. When I start w/ chicken or meat, for example, I am easily full after that and some veggies. If I start with a starch or other food (ie. salad), I can eat and eat and... :(

Also, it is very important to "take it easy" after being stuck. Your stoma gets irritated and inflamed so even though the stuck food passed by eating solid foods right after you can irritate it more and are more likely to get food stuck again. I had this happen recently and after struggling for 2 weeks I had to finally give in and get an unfill as I could barely get liquids down. It was definitely a learning process for me.

Glad you are feeling better. :D

Much thank you and I think this is what happened. I shall try this advice and see how it goes - I have been struggling through the last few years and never really thought to join a forum. :rolleyes: I have really officially reached my goal but a few more pounds wont matter however, if I kept loosing after 143 I think it would need adjusting... just don't want to put any back on lol - thank you again and congrats to you too on your weight loss so far - you must be very excited. I think this surgery is heaven sent for some!!!