Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

had adjustable lap- port is hurting

Hey guys! I had my surgery 1week ago, and My doc put my port under my left breast. WOW! It has been REALLY uncomfortable! He said the swelling will go down, and that it will not hurt when all heals.. It hurts to sleep and to walk...Other than that... all went very well. The week of Clear Liquids was not bad, due to not being hungry.. Lost 12 lbs the first week, although I know this was due to no food! My doc wants me on creamy liquids for another MONTH. Did anyone else's doc prescribe this? My friends doc allowed them to start eating soft foods the 3rd week. Would love to hear from you! thanks

Bullit

I was banded 2 1/2 weeks ago and my port site was the only site that really ever hurt. Last night was the first night I was able to sleep on my stomach, but it is still a bit tender. It does get better!

My Dr. wants only liquids for a month! I bailed on that and started eating mushy food a couple days ago. I just had a couple tbls. of hummus and it satisfied my hunger. From reading this board it seems that most people's Dr.'s have them on liquids for 2 weeks, then on to mushies, makes more sense to me, just as long as we don't have any "heavy" foods. What do you others think?

Congrats on your band! We're on to being Big Losers!!! Yippee

;)

Hey....thanks for your reply...Good to hear that I am not the only one with a painful port area...It feels strange... doesn't it? I did not know he would put it rught under my boob! Ouch! anyway,,, it is slowly feeling better... Yes,,,I think 1 month of thick liquids seems strict... I';m "trying" to hang in there,,, cause I am motivated to make this work....but if I start to hit rock bottom..I "may" slowly introduce muschy food... so far I have lost 14lbs...and to be honest... right now I am enjoying watching the scales go down... am feeling week though... Are you drinking, eating something every hour? my doc says try and drink a dixie cup full of something every 15 minute.. This is hard to do! Especially at work! How about you? Who is your Doc? thanks! Bullit

Hi there, new bandsters!! Welcome to Bandlandia!

It is true that doctors have a wide range of post-op instructions. My doctor said thick liquids were OK after the first couple of days, and mushy foods after 2 weeks or so. During the 2 weeks I really wasn't hungry, what with the wonderful array of Soups out there. I loved it! Then I went into hummus, soft cheeses, tzatiki, all that yummy stuff you usually put on crackers. I went nuts!

To stave off the hungries you really want to push Protein. Thick liquids can be very high in protein--go for bean Soups (mush up the beans), egg-drop Soup, and thick chowders. I didn't have any problems with the "solids" in soups like that, especially if they were homemade and could cook for a really long time.

And then there are Protein drinks, which really can help. I made my own in a blender with milk, Protein powder, yogurt (regular and frozen), Peanut Butter, and Ovaltine. A big serving of that and you're full for hours!

Take it easy and remember not to push yourself or think too much about calories. That will all come later. Just heal! ;) :eek: ;)

thanks alexandra for your comments... I see you are a veteran on this site, and you have lots of great info. to share.. How have you done with your lap? did you get the adjustable? Thanks! Bullit

Hi Bullit,

I guess I am a "veteran" on this site. I visit other band support sites but I like this interface the best so here is where I post. But I'm not a band veteran, having only had my band for about 7 months. And yes, I have the adjustable. Is there any other kind? All three of the bands we talk about most -- the Inamed band, the SAGB, and the MidBand -- are adjustable.

Depending on the yardstick one uses, I'd say I've done fair to extremely well! Many people lose more weight than I have, but 40 lbs in 7 months is well within the expected range of loss and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. It's not a miracle cure but I didn't want one. I wanted a tool that would help me modify my behavior, and that's exactly what I got. I'm still climbing the learning curve but a lifetime of bad habits is hard to change.

Hi Bullit -

I hope your port area is feeling better. My port is about 4" under my left boob, seems low to me - I hope it doesn't drift to my thigh as I get thinner!

Yes, I also felt weak the 1st two weeks or so - our bodies are in shock, and having hardly any carbs or calories does make you weak, that too gets better as our bodies adjust, adding just a bit of soft foods (tofu, hummus, yogurt) has helped me. Are you drinking your Protein? You should try and get at least 60 gms a day.

I've been doing pretty good on drinking my Water, and you will find as your post op swelling goes down it is easier to swallow, though I think the post op swelling gives us a feel as to what a fill will feel like (?) I know when I go back to work, next week, getting all my water in will be harder to do.

I was banded in Mexico (DR. Rumbaut) and have my follow up/fill Dr. Fox, not too far from me in Tacoma.

Hang in there - We are doing great!!! ;)

Hey there: Glad to hear you are doing well... My port is not as painful,,, just uncomfortable and weird! I feel like a robot! Anyway, my doc has a really strict diet post op... only "creamy" foods for now... lots of creamy campbell Soups and yogart and store bought smoothies...he told me to stay off of the Protein Drinks for now, I told him that I had a goal of losing at least 80lbs before next oct-nov. due to a goal I have of implanting frozen embroyos my husband and I have ( infertililty problems for years!) Anyway, my doc said that these Protein drinks can inhibit weight loss due to "protein turning into fat?" ? I dont really understand this.. due to the fact that the ONLY diet that worked for me was the high protein low carb adkins... I am taking in a TON of carbs now with these soups and yogarts... seems weird.. but I guess he knows what he's talking about.. have lost 15 in 10 days.... weightloss in slacking off now though... I'm sure it was all water..

What protein drinks are you using.?.. Any other creamy food/drinks you are using now? would love to hear from you! Bullit

Guest mandigo318

I was banded almost 2 months ago and i was suprised i could feel the port so much. Tieing my left show and laying on my stomach was uncomfortable but either i am totally use to it now or i have healed more. It doesnt bother me any more! It will get better.

Hey Bullit

I bet you're feeling better by now, huh? From this site I can sure see that every Dr is so different in what they recommend. Personally, and what my doc says too, is we really need the Protein, I've never heard anyone say protein turns to fat, I've read more things that say the more protein we get the weight loss is accelerated. I've been using the Atkins shakes, they're spendy, but thicker than the powered protein that you mix up, so they seem to stick with me longer. Hummus, cream of wheat, and Soup (in the blender) are things I have been eating a bit of. I really haven't been too hungry since I've added the soft foods. It's been 3 weeks today and I've lost 18 lbs, I know this period is a bonus weight loss, but I'm liking it!!! I will have my first fill on April 14th. Good luck to you, and keep us posted!

Glad to hear from you! You are doing great! I have lost 15 in 3 weeks, but the weight loss has seemed to halt. I have read about this period, and about not getting discouraged waiting for the first fill.. Soups and yogart are getting boring, although I think I blew it going to black eyed pea and schloskys and ordering bowls of their cream of broccili and potato soups. Too many fat grams and carbs I'm sure.... I think I will take your advice and get going on the adkins shakes.... Protein make sense to me.... I have noticed that I dont get full so easily now... I am drinking alot more than a shotglass at a time, which is what I was consuming the first week. How about you? I was told this might happen when swelling went down, and until the next fill. I am trying not to panic.... fearful that maybe the band fell off or something...... I am hoping this is normal Would love to hear from you. Keep up the great work! Could you give me an example of your daily intake? Thanks! Bullit

Guest rwarren

bullit

I had my banding done 5 weeks ago and feel great. I had to be on clear for 2 weeks and creamy for 2 more weeks. Then graduated to soft foods. I have lose 21 pounds. I find myself hungry alot. I am not sure if I am not understanding what "full" really means yet. I have stuffed myself for so many years that I have to get used to being satisfied. I get my first fill in another month. I find myself eating more than i should and need to get a hold on that. One problem I have is drinking with my meals which is a no no. So i have to retrain myself on that. When I do eat the rifht amount and stop I do begin to feel satisfied and eating very slow is another thing to retraind yourself on. Hope to hear from you and good luck. :eek: