Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overeating before surgery date - Help!

Now that I've booked my surgery and I'm excited to do this, I find that I'm eating more than usual. I know I shouldn't be but the bad habits that got me into this bad position are rearing its ugly head. I just need support and words of wisdom to help me keep control of my eating habits leading up to my surgery. I can usually control my cravings, but now its feels they have control of me. Please help.

Well, I'm newly banded so I don't know too much about this whole thing, but I can tell you what I do know. I was put on a very strict diet 2 weeks before my surgery. The purpose of the diet is to shrink your liver so that the doctor can access your stomach easier while banding you. IF you do not shrink your liver enough the doctor will close you back up and not do your surgery (some food for thought).

Like you, I've had a life time of bad eating habits and giving in to cravings...if I saw it, wanted it, I ATE IT. The thing that got me through the whole process was this line of thinking "whats more important...eating those tacos your love or becoming a healtheir you". I chose to be a healthier me. I know its hard but if I can do it then anyone can. I learned its all about your mind set and how you view what you are doing. Everytime I wanted to cheat I kept reminding myself WHY I was doing it and what it was that I wanted to accomplish. I hope this helps you.

I think a lot of us go through a sort of "last meal syndrome" before surgery. A lot of us actually go into a bit of a mourning process because we feel like we're losing our comfort and coping mechanism- food. We also have this mindset that you'll never be able to enjoy food again so we go bonkers eating everything in sight while we still can.

I did this too, by the way. I didn't have a pre-op diet so I went nuts on food the week before surgery. I'm not proud of it and definitely wouldn't recommend it, but I definitely lost all food sanity for that last week.

But here's the thing to remember and I wish someone would've told me when I was going nuts on food: It's not like you have to give up everything you love. You can still have what you love to eat (once you're past the post op healing diet) just in moderation. You don't have to say goodbye to food, you just have to learn to enjoy it in smaller amounts. The cool part is- the band helps you to do exactly that.

I personally believe in moderation not deprivation. If I deprive myself I know I am setting myself up for failure. If I want pizza, I have a piece, not 6 like I used to. I have 1 cookie not 12. I have 1 scoop of ice cream not 5. The key for me is I don't have these things regularly and when I do, I do it in moderation and within my daily calorie allowance. But, nothing is off limits.

Hang in there, this is a beautiful beginning for you, not an ending :)

Wow, I very much relate to this. I think I have gained (don't want to check :() weight since my initial consultation and booking. I almost feel like this is my "free for all" time and that this is my "last hurrah". I have gone through weight loss before, and I know it isn't as bad as it seems... but it is a type of "mourning", I think. I know some would disagree, but we do have to face up to losing the freedom of eating whatever we want in the quantity we want. I hate absolutes, in that you cannot EVER have something again... it is all about the enjoyment of a lesser quantity.

You, speaking to hockeymother, and I too, will get through this. From what I heard, this is a normal phenomenon and to be expected. Let's get it out of our systems and look forward to change. Easier said than done, I so know this... but the fact that we have chosen to change will prevail in the long run. :)

Just take it one day at a time. It is important to follow the diet to avoid having your surgeon cancel your surgery. Just remember you will eat again! It will just be healthier food and portions!

Yes, I have the 14 day diet too... I have quite a while before I start that. I do plan to follow that diet to the letter as I want to reduce every possible risk. Unfortunately it is the time before that I am struggling with. I booked my surgery so far in advance (as that was the only time I could take off) I almost gave myself too much time to overeat.

Nonetheless, I am still trying to slowly reduce the "urges" before my 14 day diet begins... not having too much success at this point.

Wow, so glad Im not alone. You are all so helpful to me. Because I am a low BMI, I won't be doing the pre op diet so need to get my head straight and back in line and you are all helping to start this. I really like reading that I won't lose anything, just eating in smaller healthier portions. That seems so much easier that complete deprivation.

It's a sad thing, you need to "break up" with food.

Look at it as a bad relationship and you have to get rid of the abusive partner. Your LOVE of food is fueling your addiction.

It's gotta stop, our view of food needs to change.

Notice I said "our"..... We all have these problems.