Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The difference between stuck and too full ????

I'm having trouble since my fill a week ago today and not sure if I'm getting stuck or if I'm overeating. Not sure if it was yesterday or the day before, sorry, but I believe I got stuck, at least that is what I posted on here, I did PB, a lot, slimed and finally threw up, followed up with a cup of hot tea and that night ate Soup. Today I had a dr's appt in Nashville and on the way me and my mom stopped off on the way at a Cracker Barrel and shared a meal, don't chastize me on menu but we shared the special, turkey, dressing and a veggie which was green Beans, I had two spoons of greens, teaspoons, and two tsp of dressing and a small piece of turkey with gravy on it. About 3/4 thru the meal I started feeling this lump in my throat like well I was going to hiccup which is my soft stop indicator but never did it so I took another bite or two and then had to excuse myself to the restroom to PB several times and again, slime came up too with food. I cut the turkey the size of my pinky nail and chewed really well. After this episode mom suggested another cup of hot tea so I ordered hot tea which helped with the soreness. Is my band aggravated and not healed from yesterday or the fill or swollen and do I need to do mushies and liquids for a few days or do I need a slight unfill? I really felt I needed this fill because I was eating everything in sight. Please help.

Oh and one more thing, I got stuck or got too full on dinner tonight which was a piece of toast with tuna salad on it so it was a half of a sandwhich.

I would go on liquids only for a few days as your stomach sounds like it is swollen. If your still having problems then you may need a defill. Be careful. If its too tight and you keep eating and throwing up you could cause problems like a slipped band or erosion. If its still this bad after a few days of liquids you should contact your team.

thanks Vicki, I should also comment I'm under an enormous amount of stress right now, can this play a part in your band and if so what does it do?

Too full

Donna to me it sounds like the stuck episodes along with the stress you're experiencing both have aggravated your insides. I say this because stress affects my band, it makes it tighter and feels like I've had a fill.

I think it would be a good idea to do your liquids for a few days to let everything settle down. I would think if you ate too much you would just feel uncomfortable. If you're getting stuck I would assume you're tight and that could be because if the pbing irritation and stress irritation.

I agree with summerrain, you probably are swollen from 2 episodes of pb'ing. But if you constantly have this issue, you might want to have a slight unfill. I keep my band where I am comfortable as I am in maintenance. But, there are times I pb still, and as soon as I do, I know that it was something I, unwisely, ate! Best wishes, Karen

PS: I can't eat green beans!

Donna, I know from experience that stress can also tighten up that bad. I once couldn't hardly eat for 2 days and it was nothing but stress.

Also I agree, do liquids and mushies until it clears.

Once I feel like a lump in my chest, quit. Do not take one more bite, ever.lol js

re: "I started feeling this lump in my throat like well I was going to hiccup which is my soft stop indicator but never did it so I took another bite or two and then had to excuse myself to the restroom to PB several times and again, slime came up too with food."

.... apart from the likely issues of irritation to the esophagus, this represents those very times I actually was over-eating.

It takes a while to realize the tremendous difference between "just enough" vs "too much".

As one who had a life-long habit of eating in reaction to stress, the postOp world finding that eating WAS a stress, took a while to learn how to adapt. There has been and continues to be, less often, a point where I'm no longer 'hungry' yet take another bite. Something doesn't feel right....yet I might take a 2nd or 3rd bite. Then there's trouble much as you describe.

When I pay attention to the sensation of 'satiety' vs 'eating more' those issues don't arise.

Good luck, it's a wonderful journey we're all on here.

thanks for all your comments. This really feels like stuck episodes as I've had plenty but I cannot explain the lump in my throat and the wanting to PB, never had that before, with that said, I do have pain in the center like I'm stuck. The turkey yesterday was a little dry although it had a little gravy on it and I didn't eat but half a piece and not all the green Beans and that was only 2 tsp and that wasn't heaping tsps so if I had to guess at the amount of food it wasn't a cup. I am going thru some very very extreme personal issues with my divorce that are causing me severe stress at this time and dealing with my atty and my ex. You'd think after being divorced a yr and half it would all be over with but it's not. I don't know how much more I can take. Anyway, thank you for shedding the light on this and I wasn't sure whether stress played a role in the band and I wasn't sure whether or not I was stuck or too full, still not quite sure. Am on mushies and liquids for a few days to let things calm down.

thanks for all your comments. This really feels like stuck episodes as I've had plenty but I cannot explain the lump in my throat and the wanting to PB' date=' never had that before, with that said, I do have pain in the center like I'm stuck. The turkey yesterday was a little dry although it had a little gravy on it and I didn't eat but half a piece and not all the green Beans and that was only 2 tsp and that wasn't heaping tsps so if I had to guess at the amount of food it wasn't a cup. I am going thru some very very extreme personal issues with my divorce that are causing me severe stress at this time and dealing with my atty and my ex. You'd think after being divorced a yr and half it would all be over with but it's not. I don't know how much more I can take. Anyway, thank you for shedding the light on this and I wasn't sure whether stress played a role in the band and I wasn't sure whether or not I was stuck or too full, still not quite sure. Am on mushies and liquids for a few days to let things calm down.[/quote']

I had a fill a week ago tues and im having the exact same issues. Now after pbing i have developed pain in stomach area. Im hoping its nothing serious

Stress makes me too tight. When I was going through divorce my doc refused to fill me. Yes I think you are a a new stage of fill and remember at each fill you learn more. I get to that hiccup stage and if I stop eating it usually goes away but if I eat more its coming up. Also you may be one that can't do bread now. Some can. I Cannot. Saw where you said you ate tuna sandwich. Stringy vegetables don't cut it for me either. Also I find if we eat out I tend to talk and don't focus on chewing as well as I think I do.

Stress makes me too tight. When I was going through divorce my doc refused to fill me. Yes I think you are a a new stage of fill and remember at each fill you learn more. I get to that hiccup stage and if I stop eating it usually goes away but if I eat more its coming up. Also you may be one that can't do bread now. Some can. I Cannot. Saw where you said you ate tuna sandwich. Stringy vegetables don't cut it for me either. Also I find if we eat out I tend to talk and don't focus on chewing as well as I think I do.

thanks for the info. I usually hiccup too when I get to that just right "soft stop" indication but since my fill last Thurs, not yesterday, I have noticed I feel like a hiccup but it is like a lump in my throat and then it comes back up and this has happened 3 times already. I know what you mean about eating out and talking but my mom knows I can't talk while eating, lol, and boy does she know when that finger goes up she knows "oh boy, she's stuck and then I'm gone to the restroom", it's like wait a minuite mom, I'll be back kind of thing, ha ha. I'm more mindful of my eating while out than at home and I'm bad about that and need to learn. Thanks you guys.

I think everyone has their definition of too tight or what you can handle. Like someone said if you want to be a bit looser and not experience that occasional pb get some taken out. Or if you wanna loose more and are able to go without certain foods such as bread stay where you are. I learned along time ago my preference is stay on the tad tight side. It helps me maintain. If I allow myself things such a bread I fall into bad habits again. Again it's up to you.

And yea my hub knows my "look" I don't even have to do the finger anymore lol