Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4wks tdy & Doing terrible w/ eating

Ok i cheated bad in my 3rd wk bc i was so loose it felt like i didnt even have the band. I got my first fill 2 days ago. ive been throwing up everything i eat since then. i cant stand anything of puree consistency in my mouth. Im so used to scarfing my food down like a pig that im having a hard time taking small enough bites or eating slow enough. Im doing so bad & cant imagine how im gonna make it. I tried to puree some Soup it was sooo gross i wanted to throw up just looking at it.

ok, slow down for starters and breathe and relax. First off you do need to learn to take it slow and take tee tiny bites the size of your pinky nail or else you will have a stuck episode and believe me I've had my share and they aren't fun, they are gross, not pretty, they hurt and can be harmful to your new band. So if you want solid food, take it slow, sometimes I can eat chicken and sometimes I can't, canned chicken that I can shred or fork thru and put light mayo in I can eat but to bake a chicken breast I can eat sometimes and then some nights or days I will get stuck, no ryhm or reason. Try some tuna, try some baked fish or grilled salmon. The other night I baked a pork chop with 3 tsp of ff mushroom Soup on it to make a gravy and to make it moist and i was able to eat it and it was delish. I covered it in foil in like a pocket so that it would steam almost instead of open in the oven and dry out. Try steamed veggies or canned green Beans or carrots cooked. You can do this. If you are still on purreed types of food just try and vary your meals with different types of Soups and struggle thru it, we've all been there and this too shall pass. My weight loss is slow cause I am not able to exercise due to various reasons but this is the best decision I've ever made for myself and I'd do it all again. Hang in there. Best of luck.

Ok i cheated bad in my 3rd wk bc i was so loose it felt like i didnt even have the band. I got my first fill 2 days ago. ive been throwing up everything i eat since then. i cant stand anything of puree consistency in my mouth. Im so used to scarfing my food down like a pig that im having a hard time taking small enough bites or eating slow enough. Im doing so bad & cant imagine how im gonna make it. I tried to puree some Soup it was sooo gross i wanted to throw up just looking at it.

1) either you are over filled and you should call your doc asap for an unfill

2) or you are not eating like a bandster should. Don't worry you are not alone. Many of us have struggled in the beginning, so here are some tips

1) weigh your food and don't eat more than a cupfull per meal (or whatever amount your doc advises)

2) from now on only eat on small plates-that way it wont by feel like your eating tiny portions that don't even fill up a plate

3) until you're used to eating like a bandster do not eat with friends or while your otherwise distracted (like watching tv or doing work) This will help keep you focused on chewing and taking small bites

4) just relax!! It will take some time in the beginning to learn what you can and cannot tolerate

With the band, we have to develop a whole new relationship with food. As many on this site have stated, the band is not a quick fix. We have to work WITH the band, and we have to eat with purpose.

I bought smaller dishes and utensils, chew the food up very thoroughly, put my fork or spoon down between bites and eat very slowly, because my goal is more important to me than the food itself. For the first time in my life, I can (and have) actually thrown leftovers away. The few times that I have thrown up, it was because I ate too much, too fast, and didn't chew my food thoroughly. It was my fault. I LOVE food, enjoy cooking (am very good at it), and enjoy eating what I cook, but my desire to reach my goal exceeds my yearning for food. Some days are better than others, but I have made a drastic change to my body out of desperation, so I am going to make sure I do my part so that my band can do it's part.

I would suggest that you connect with some mentors on this site that have reached their goal weight. Not trying to sound preachy, because I am far from perfect, but these are the things that have helped me so far. Good luck. :-)

You have to learn to eat with your band and that means no longer scarfing down food. You have to eat slowly and take small bites, rest the fork in between bites and wait for it to go down. You have to learn to do this because if you dont then you wont be able to eat with or without fills. Its part of relearning to eat the correct way.

I too am 3 rd week being banded and feel like I don't have a band. I still am only able to do 4 oz at a time. I am so ready for a fill. I am putting weight back on and I don't understand why.

I too am 3 rd week being banded and feel like I don't have a band. I still am only able to do 4 oz at a time. I am so ready for a fill. I am putting weight back on and I don't understand why.

Short term the scale lies. a pound of fat consists of 3500 calories, log everything you eat, everything. Find a BMR calculator and compare what is going in with what is going out. If you are eating more than you are burning you will gain fat, if you are burning more than you are eating you will lose fat. Any other weight changes you see besides that are your body screwing with you.

This opinion is the result of my personal observations and a basic knowledge of math and should be taken with a grain of salt...

you will make it by doing what you have to do. eating your allotted amounts (eating Protein first to help you feel full) and eating fruits/veggies...dont forget to drink alot to help figure out if you are hungry or just think you are..

you have to learn to eat with your band... you eat one bite at a time. let it go down and stop at 20 min...just because you can (eat more then you should) does not mean you should...not good for you or the band..

i read your post and saw ( i hate this, i use to do this, i am having hard time..) need to change to i can do this, i will do this and then do it...

hang in there

Thank u guys. Im am a little better now that ive talked to my dr & nutritionist. I think im eating an ok portion since the fill i just have to take everyones advice and slow down i am on solids so the puree is not a problem anymore. I know this it a tool not a quick fix i just need to get it together but i am going to buy some small utensils. The band doesnt change my mindset & its a slow process but im learning.

Everything everyone was saying is the truth. If you want this to work you must eat like the rest of us. As they said you cannot eat as if you never had the band. Surgery, no matter how small or how big of an incision you may have, it is a serious entry into your body. Honor this vow you made to yourself and slow down. It will get better.