Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on Wednesday and I have been an emotional wreck! I heard this is normal and the pain medication can contribute to these emotions but has anyone else experienced this? I am crying endlessly!

Yes, high emotions are normal.

You are changing your life, wow! That is big. I was banded a year ago yesterday, looking back it was an emotional roller coaster. the surgery, my first fill, my first stuck experience (with PBing), my first unfill, eating in front of family, eating in a restaurant, the list goes on. Wow how did I manage? Day by day, situation by situation.

The beginning was the scariest and hardest. What helped me was I started writing in a journal (I didn't discover this site until 4 months post-op). I would write about my emotions, food I ate, doctors appointment, really anything that was on my mind. It helped express the emotions that I felt. Once I found LBT I would post & blog those emotions so my journal was replaced.

I understand how you feel and if you are anything like me you are going to have happy & sad feelings throughout this journey.

We will be here to offer support to you, that I promise. :wub:

What a relief!! Thank you for sharing! You helped put things into perspective for me. I'm happy I'm not going crazy! Lol. I do have a blog which I turn to and I'm going to have to utilize much more these days I bet!

Thanks again!!

For me the hardest part was the mental things. If only we could band our heads. That would help so much, control our emotions and our head hunger then it would be so much easier. But we can't so we are stuck with working through them.

Having a good support system is one of the things that made me a success. I have a wonderful family that didn't always understand what I was going through but was always there for me. I have a support group at my doctors office that meet once a month and I have all my LBT friends who I lean on every day.

If you need a shoulder to lean on know that I am here & would be happy to be part of your support system.

Good luck to you.

Congratulations on your surgery. I was banded 12-17-12. For about 5 or so days after surgery, I was an emotional mess. It's normal...I was also having major anxiety...just focus on your healing...I wish you the best!

I'm not so much emotional as I am nervous and anxious with the pain, lack of sleep, healing slowly. I am sure the journey will bring me to an emotional basket case state at some point as well. We are mourning our old habits...as bad as they were for us...they still provided some sort of comfort and safety. Change is hard and scary.....but I know it will be worth it. :)

I was in the emotional club. In the hospital I cried to my husband that I shouldn't have had it done and I didn't want the port in and he told the surgeon when he came to check on me!! I couldn't believe he did that. Then I was better, then the emotions came out again. I'm 7 weeks post op and I'd say it slowly gets better. Like an above poster says, after first stuck episode I got emotional again. I threw up recently and cried that night. But the good days when I am happy about the band are more often, and the dramatic moments are decreasing.

I compared my post surgery emotions to when I had postpartum depression. I was a mess. No one told me beforehand I would go through this. The pain medication had nothing to do with mine because I only took 3 pills after surgery. I think it is because you're just on liquids and your body is craving comfort foods. Your relationship with food is suddenly changing. I would fall apart just opening the bag of Protein to make a shake. Hang in there, it gets better. I don't always get on this board so if you want to talk more, email me, jhbinnj@aol.com. For me, the emotions were way worse than the surgery, gas, incision pain, etc.

I woke up the third or fourth night in a complete panic wanting the thing out of me. I had to take a Xanax to calm myself. As every day goes on I feel more and more back to normal only better. I am so glad I am past those first couple of weeks. I am only a little over my third week post op, but I feel like I have come a very long way.

it has been almost 3 years since my band lost 95lbs and keeping it off woul love to loose the last 5lbs i have sagging legs and a little on arms surprised no too bad on by belly look fine in cloths lol i csn't afford surgury to remove so that bothers me but i really can't complain better now than ever no more diabetes and no more heart attacks (2 pre band) so i guess you gotta take the good with the not so great :rolleyes: