Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days and feeling emotional

So I'm 10 days away from getting banded, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know it's the right decision for me, but i'm just going through the motions I think. I worry that even this wont work for me, that I will faill this as i've failed so many diets before. I worry about the situations I will be in (dinner with friends, dates, etc) where I'll have to come up for a reason for not drinking during dinner, reasons for eating such small amounts. I know these things are small and in the big scope of things they are really just small sacrifices, but i'm just being honest, these are the things keeping me up at night tonight. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Pre-op worries and nervousness are normal. If you're keeping your surgery a secret from your friends (I did) and are worried about eating smaller portions just be honest and tell them you are dieting. My friends know that I have a life long weight battle and that I am periodically on a strict diet to lose. They respect me for not giving up and the conversations at luncheons and dinners is far more interesting that what I am or am not eating.

I will say that you should try and have a positive attitude about the surgery and your success. If you go in thinking you're a failure and that you will not lose, chances are you'll be correct.

I was a bit overwhelmed prior to banding but, it never crossed my mind to not go through with the surgery.

I had my banding done on 04/11/06 and today at 04/16/06 I am 12lbs lighter. That's 2lbs per day for 6 days :) . My jeans, that were once tight, were fitting pretty nicely a few days ago. I washed them, then dried them..(drying shrinks your jeans) and today...they fit just fine :).

It's happening and oh what joy I am having. I have no more pain..just a little discomfort at times because I am not completely healed. It takes a few weeks but I did manage to ride my bike with my kids for about 7 miles today.

Prior to surgery I was 240lbs and I needed to drop some weight before surgery, for myself to show I was serious about losing it. I went down to 232lbs. I went on vacation to the Bahamas on 04/05/06 - 04/09/06 and gained back 3lbs. :rolleyes The next day, I headed out to Monterrey, Mexico to meet up with Dr. Rumbaut. I weighed in at 235 (the 3lbs gained). Today, 5 days after the surgery, I am 12lbs lighter at 223lbs now :clap2: . Feels good. I've got another 98lbs to go so I am looking forward to seeing the scale. I am so excited, I look at it every day now, whereas I used to hide from it.

My journey begins.

Don't ever doubt that this procedure is the right or wrong choice. You know in your heart what you need to do and what you have to do to get there.

Good luck and I hope to hear from you a week after surgery.

I know what you mean. I was banded on 2/22 and since January I worried that this would fail. Mostly because I was self pay and I knew I would have to pay for any complications. Plus it was money my family could have used for something else but didn't. I have 3 little kids and my oldest has mental health issues. He is almost 9. Nothing in this world is worse than having a child with mental health problems. Except for death.

I got the lap band for a lot of reasons (health, decrease pain, comfort, blah blah blah) but I secretly got it because I am 40 and fat. My husband is 41, fat with diabetes and high blood pressure. He will die early, there's no doubt. My son will need someone all his life to help him and I HAVE to be there for him. Of course I want to live a long time and be with my twins too (they are almost 4), but my main reason was for him.

So everytime I got nervous, that is what I thought of. If I don't do this I will leave him behind. So write down why you are doing this and everytime you feel like pulling out review your list. Of course being nervous is normal. I will pray for you!

I think all of us have felt just as you do now. I remember very clearly being scared to death that I would fail at this too! Had it been just another diet, I would have failed by now. But, as you can see by my ticker, this last four months have been an amazing comfort. I now believe this thing works, and it will work for me.

Word of caution. If you are a sweet eater and you eat a lot of stuff that will go through the band easily, it will still be a big challenge for you. My problem was breads and portion sizes. This band was a perfect choice for me. For even when I want to give up and give in - I can't.

Baby steps sister....it will become more apparent as you go along. You can't figure it out now because you can't know how it will be. It will be a big change , but just take it one day at a time. Boy can I make being banded sound like a 12 step program or what!?!?!

The band is not a quick fix, and if you are not immediately successful, you just need some fills & adjustments........you CAN and WILL make it work for you if you have the desire to do so. Right now though, just focus on being strong & healthy going into your surgery & recovery. That is your job right now. Keep checking in here.....we've "been there, done that", and at the very least can be reassuring that what you are feeling is "normal"....baby steps, baby steps, baby steps...........

I've got 12 days to go and belive me I am feeling your anxiety as well. One big thing I am worried about is my fiance's & I's 'food' relationship. I love to cook (he loves to eat what I cook) Our life (and southern culture) is centered around food. We own our own business, so when we want to relax, we go out to eat or I cook us a comforting meal. He won't have that partner anymore (at least not on the same level) I know that's not entirely a bad thing (I'm hoping that my better eating habits will rub off on him) but I wonder how the dynamics of our relationship will change because of this. He is totally supportive of me getting banded, wants me to be healthy. But this has just been in the back of my mind. I know without a doubt, this is the right decision for me. But, I feel a sense of sadness, that my 'comfort eating' will have to cease. Just another challenge for me, not the end of the world, just a different area of it. :) Good Luck to you!!

So I'm 10 days away from getting banded, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know it's the right decision for me, but i'm just going through the motions I think. I worry that even this wont work for me, that I will fail this as i've failed so many diets before.
I've got 12 days to go and belive me I am feeling your anxiety as well...I know without a doubt, this is the right decision for me. But, I feel a sense of sadness

I'm two weeks away and I feel the exact same way.:)

Everyone..(I think) worries that this may not work for them. You are normal. We all have failed so many times before what would make this any different, right? All I can say is that the band is a great tool for helping me get through my struggle with weight loss. I was self pay so I also had a big worry that I would be wasting a lot of $$$ that we could probably use one day to help send our 3 kids to college. You know how mommas are...they always think of everyone else first. I can honestly say that I think it was money well spent.

The only two people who know about my band are my husband and his sister. I am going to lunch tomorrow with my coworkers for the 1st time since being banded. I just plan on eating a small portion and they all know I have been dieting since the 1st of March. As far as I can tell, nobody is suspicious. Don't worry about people knowing. They probably won't. I also know that the reason I didn't want anyone to know is that I had this thought in the back of my head...what if I don't lose weight and all these people ask me...how much weight have you lost since your surgery? I wouldn't even want my mom to ask me that & my mom & I are pretty close. (BUT I didn't tell her) Now that I made the decision not to tell...I'm not going to because then I'll have to answer all those questions.

LBT helps me tremendously with all my questions and concerns. Even if all my friends and family knew, they couldn't answer my questions. This website has been the best thing since being banded.

Hope I helped ease your worries.

Hi! My surgery date is June 8, 2006. I feel the same way that you feel.

I am going to look at it positively. i will be successful! i want to live longer to see my children have their children. with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea (three co-morbidities), i won't live that long unless i have the lap band surgery. both my parents died of heart disease. so, it's a necessity. look forward to it. i think being anxious is part of it. i know i am, but it will all pass. look forward to it. good luck.

i'm sure you'll be fine. jillia

Hi! My surgery date is June 8, 2006. I feel the same way that you feel.

I am going to look at it positively. i will be successful! i want to live longer to see my children have their children. with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea (three co-morbidities), i won't live that long unless i have the lap band surgery. both my parents died of heart disease. so, it's a necessity. look forward to it. i think being anxious is part of it. i know i am, but it will all pass. look forward to it. good luck.

i'm sure you'll be fine. jillia