Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unofficial Pre-Op Dieting Struggles

I'm not on an official pre-op diet yet, but the nutritionist suggested I start following some sort of diet. I am not required to lose weight, but just they suggested losing weight to help reduce the size of my liver for surgery. I've been able to commit to diets in the past, but for some reason, I can NOT commit now. What is wrong with me? Today, for example, I ate perfectly all day- lots of Protein and I kept my Water intake rather high. However, come 3:30 (the time I left work), just like a drug addict, the cravings took over me and I went on a kitchen wide binge! I was suddenly so hungry and felt like I couldn't do anything to change it! I just feel like I am losing control and I'm really worried that this is a sign of what I will be like with the band....

I am so scared and I don't even know which way to turn now :(

Take some deep breaths....it's a marathon not a sprint. This time before the band will help ease the road. Don't panic.

Wow Jennifer, I went through the same exact thing. It is all mental. I have my surgery on 2/1 (a week from today) and was not told to go on any diet before surgery. I noticed that I was eating worse..I don't know if it was nerves or this "well better have it now" syndrome but it really messed me up in the head. I started questioning myself that if i can't even do it now - how can I do it after surgery? I decided to put myself on the Protein Shake preop diet to prove to myself that I can do it. It really helps your mind when you push yourself. Maybe you should try it...put yourself on a stricter diet and once you get through 3 days, the rest get easier.

I was the same way before surgery. I didn't have any pre-op diet to follow but I was told it might be a good idea to start eating right anyway. I failed. Miserably. Like you, it was like some horrible food demon just took over me and I swear I ate everything in site. In retrospect, I think I felt like being about to be banded, I was going to have to give up everything I loved, so I felt this need to binge out while I still could.

For me, actually getting banded and having to follow the post op diet changed that. In a way, I traded addictions but in a good way. I saw the scale start to slowly go down and I was like "oh ok, this is kinda cool!" Then the more the scale went down, the bigger the high and the more I was driven to keep at it. As clothes got smaller and I got braver trying old favorite foods in smaller portions, I thought "Ok this flat out rocks!!" I finally realized I didn't have to give up anything, just enjoy it moderation, and I'd still lose weight.

The whole thing is a huge learning process, not only about the band, but about ourselves. For as much as my body has changed over the last year, my mind has changed tenfold more.

Be patient with yourself. At least you're trying, and as long as you're trying, you're not failing. It'll get a lot easier once you're banded and not pre-occupied by food due to hunger and deprivation.

I am sure you have heard this a hundred times but track your food. Once you see in writing what you are putting in your face it is and eye opener.

I was told I would have to track my food and turn in a food log after surgery anyway to start before hand and that helped a lot. Myfitnesspal, is an app and online, there is fitday both online and an app, and then there is lose it as an app.

Just an idea, good luck, you will get a handle on this soon the closer you get to surgery.

Take some deep breaths....it's a marathon not a sprint. This time before the band will help ease the road. Don't panic.

I love that quote! That's a very good point! Thank You :)

Wow Jennifer, I went through the same exact thing. It is all mental. I have my surgery on 2/1 (a week from today) and was not told to go on any diet before surgery. I noticed that I was eating worse..I don't know if it was nerves or this "well better have it now" syndrome but it really messed me up in the head. I started questioning myself that if i can't even do it now - how can I do it after surgery? I decided to put myself on the Protein shake preop diet to prove to myself that I can do it. It really helps your mind when you push yourself. Maybe you should try it...put yourself on a stricter diet and once you get through 3 days, the rest get easier.

Thanks for the tips! What Protein shakes did you use if you don't mind me asking?

I was the same way before surgery. I didn't have any pre-op diet to follow but I was told it might be a good idea to start eating right anyway. I failed. Miserably. Like you, it was like some horrible food demon just took over me and I swear I ate everything in site. In retrospect, I think I felt like being about to be banded, I was going to have to give up everything I loved, so I felt this need to binge out while I still could.

For me, actually getting banded and having to follow the post op diet changed that. In a way, I traded addictions but in a good way. I saw the scale start to slowly go down and I was like "oh ok, this is kinda cool!" Then the more the scale went down, the bigger the high and the more I was driven to keep at it. As clothes got smaller and I got braver trying old favorite foods in smaller portions, I thought "Ok this flat out rocks!!" I finally realized I didn't have to give up anything, just enjoy it moderation, and I'd still lose weight.

The whole thing is a huge learning process, not only about the band, but about ourselves. For as much as my body has changed over the last year, my mind has changed tenfold more.

Be patient with yourself. At least you're trying, and as long as you're trying, you're not failing. It'll get a lot easier once you're banded and not pre-occupied by food due to hunger and deprivation.

You really put my mind at ease. I'm hopeful that getting banded will help with all of my struggles. And I guess you're right.. putting in the effort to try and do my best is a success in it self- I am trying to make the changes :) Thank you for your input.

I am sure you have heard this a hundred times but track your food. Once you see in writing what you are putting in your face it is and eye opener.

I was told I would have to track my food and turn in a food log after surgery anyway to start before hand and that helped a lot. Myfitnesspal, is an app and online, there is fitday both online and an app, and then there is lose it as an app.

Just an idea, good luck, you will get a handle on this soon the closer you get to surgery.

Thank you for your suggestions! I actually am on MyFitnessPal but I never use it. Maybe I should- having that accountability may help me!

Jennifer...I think we have the same surgery date. Wanna be band friends (wink)? I love your blog and how honest you are. Keep up the great work. I'm rooting for you. ;)

Jennifer...I think we have the same surgery date. Wanna be band friends (wink)? I love your blog and how honest you are. Keep up the great work. I'm rooting for you. ;)

Aww I'd love to be band friends!!! And thanks for checkin out my blog! It's my place to just open up about everything I'm going through. We can do this!!!