Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not feeling restricted

I received my first fill on wed the 16th and I still do not feel any restrictions. I have to stop myself from eating and the band is doing nothing. I have lost 30lbs since my surgery in December and I'm so scared I'm going to gain it back without being restricted. How long did it take after a fill to start feeling restricted?! Oh I have 6cc of Fluid in me now

It might take many fills. Everyone is different,

Ok, I'm just hoping it kicks in soon. I'm scared to gain the weight back so I'm doing the pre op diet again.

It takes most people multiple fills before they have adequate Fluid in their band. It's hard at the beginning, I know, but going back onto the pre-op diet isn't the answer. You need to learn to eat healthy in band sized portions. Have you been to a nutritionist?

Also, chances are good you will always have to stop yourself from eating. While some people get discomfort if they over-eat, it's not the band's job to physically stop you from eating anything. Have a look at this link, I think it may help you: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Hang in there, it does get easier but it does take time.

I'm 2 wks post op and do not feel restricted at all. I can eat normal/ large portions. I have my 1st post op visit in 2 wks, should I push my surgeon for a fill?

the band wont help you feel not hungry or feel (full)

it will help you eat less as missy's link point out.

you cant live your life doing a pre op diet. you are not on a diet. you are eating better foods to nourish you body.

just because you can eat normal/large size portions does not mean you should either...eating your allotted amounts (1 cup in most cases) is what you should be doing...you cant wait for the magical fills to help you lose weight... you must heal and let the band start filling up to help.....so until that time its up to you to eat the right portion sizes as well as Protein, filling foods and find want power and help the band.

I keep running into this question for myself also. I don't understand. I am going to put myself through a gastric surgery for the purpose of helping learn when and how to stop eating. I know I need help and I am hoping the band is going to do that for me. If I was able to follow the band lifestyle without help I would do that without surgery. It seems that restriction is the only way to help with when to stop, if its not there, what is the point?

the band or any WLS is not going to help you (learn when to stop eating) that comes from you. the band will help you eat less....but if one overeats the allotted amount and eats junk food, what is the point?

so until the zone is reached, let the band work...the dr's advise smaller portions or it could hurt/stretch the band. that is on the person who went through all the pre op's to do and to figure out if its smart to test the band..just because one cannot feel (restriction) does not mean the band is not working.

i dont have any fills. i cant (use i need a fill) as a reason..please note i am not trying to be mean or harsh. i am speaking as a person who was over 336 pounds 7 months ago.

My first fill was exactly 4 weeks after surgery, 4cc's......4 weeks also happened to be the day I moved from the post-op mushie diet to regular food....

So guess what....

When I showed up 4 weeks after my first fill...I had gained weight!!!!

The term "restriction" needs to be banished from the lapband arena because most people don't understand what they should be feeling after a fill. What the lapband and fills are suppose to do is allow one to eat small amounts of solid foods and you should be satisfied, not starving before your next meal time. Notice I said not starving because you should get hungry when it is time to eat. It is a different type of hunger not the starving type you had when you were dieting alone without the help of WLS. You should be able to eat most foods as long as you chew and eat slowly although there are some food items and usually ones you don't need in the first place that your band will not like such as bread and rice as they tend to ball up and can't go thru the small opening of your band. Being satisfied with a small amount of food is what you are going for and if you can't eat solid foods then I am telling you eventually you will run into trouble. That being said, many people do need fills to achieve the desired effects of being satisfied commonly in the Alergan world known as the green zone. The green zone changes thru out your journey because of changes in the body, hormones, and the fat pad around your stomach. Eventually you shouldn't need fills (usually after the two year mark give or take) possible you may need "tweaks".