Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm just shy of two weeks post op, wondering how many calories a day people would typically eat at this stage?

I've been eatting around 500 because I just haven't been able to get anymore in.. I feel like crap a lot of the time, assuming because I'm not getting enough.

Make sure you're drinking your Protein and taking your Vitamins. Why can't you get more in? Stuck? Full? Not hungry?

Your body will pretty much shut down if you starve it. It goes into survival mode which means it's conserving energy that might make your feel better?

Maybe you should be adding 2% milk to your shakes? ? I'm probably lousy at this since I've never had a problem eating. I eat less but not as little as 500/calories a day.

tmf

Talk to your nutritionist. The calories each person needs varies.

I've just have not been hungry at all, and often when I even look at food I feel nauseas. I'm literally having to force myself to eat, it's nuts.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll use some 2% or atleast 1% for awhile and call my nutritionist tomorrow :)

I was feeling pretty much the same as you till about the end of third week post op. I was told only to eat when hungry and to stay hydrated. Wasn't too concerned about calorie intake at the time. I was feeling a bit tired so I took liquid Vitamin to give me a boost.

You're still swollen and once that goes down your appetite will return.

Hi' date=' I'm just shy of two weeks post op, wondering how many calories a day people would typically eat at this stage?

I've been eatting around 500 because I just haven't been able to get anymore in.. I feel like crap a lot of the time, assuming because I'm not getting enough.[/quote']

Your Protein Shakes are very important at this stage!

As far as not being hungry & nausea, I was the same way at that point. The smell of hubs dinner would make me sick.

But it's very very important to keep hydrated & Protein intake up!

As time goes by, you'll get your appetite back.

A sign of dehydration is nausea,btw.

I've just have not been hungry at all, and often when I even look at food I feel nauseas. I'm literally having to force myself to eat, it's nuts.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll use some 2% or atleast 1% for awhile and call my nutritionist tomorrow :)

am glad you are going to call the nutritionist.

but being not quite 2 weeks post op, i dont think nuts should be what you are consuming. you are still healing. eating too much or too fast or too soon can cause you (sick to your stomach). you need to be sipping as much and as often as you can...def get that Protein in as that is your fuel at this point in time...you really shouldnt be concerned about (counting calories) as much as getting in the nutrients you need so early after surgery. ...as you heal (as maddy pointed out) you will start to get more hungry as the swelling goes down.

Lol carolinagirl I think she meant its nuts that she has to force herself to eat not its nuts she is consuming.

Lol carolinagirl I think she meant its nuts that she has to force herself to eat not its nuts she is consuming.

oh snap------excuse my dumbness :(

You're excused!

hard being a princess. i can only be gorgeous (as i know i am)

or smart.....cant be both apparently.

thank heavens summer caught my gaff

I had the same thoughts - though not because I couldnt get food down. My nutritionist told me it is different for everyone and the focus should be on Protein and water/liquids. But because I am me, I really needed some rails either way. I had been staying between 600-750, but stalled out losing weight. So in the last week or so I have been able to get around 900-1000 and have started losing again (btw - my nutritionist said 1200 is the max i should take in now). I think the danger is if you eat to little your body could go into starvation mode even with your protein. So I feel good now with where I am, but with that said, it is different for everyone and if you are not able to eat more, you shouldnt force it, just focus on your protein. I make my shakes with almond milk and they are pretty good.

Best of luck - and glad you are talking to the experts - that is why they are part of our team - to help!!

During the 2nd week post op I was only to get in about 700-800. By the time I was on mushies I was up to the 1000 I stayed at for 2 years.

Thank you everyone for the replys and advice!

I talked with the nutritionist and she gave me the same advice, stay hydrated and protein! So I'm working hard to get that all in. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was turned off of food. It feels like a two week hang over, when ever I hear the word "eggs" it makes me want to gag lol.

Hahaha and it's making me "feel" nuts.. Haven't ate any ;)

Thanks again!