Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difference Between Pb & Being Stuck

I've asked a lot of questions, and tried to offer suggestions or my opinions on several topics. However, in the 3 months since I've been banded, I don't think I've ever fully understood the difference between a PB (productive burp) and a stuck eopisode.

I think I've experienced several PB's as I learned (and continue to learn) how to chew, chew. chew while taking small, small bites. They are no fun as you get that aweful feeling in the chest followed by a lovely slime kind of spit up. Yuuuccckkkk!!!

Stuck episodes are when we actually throw up? I've had one of those.

Am I right???? :blink:

Stuck for me feel like I got pills stuck half way down or French bread has done it. PB is when Fluid comes out of your mouth when you burp.At least for me it has been

I've asked a lot of questions, and tried to offer suggestions or my opinions on several topics. However, in the 3 months since I've been banded, I don't think I've ever fully understood the difference between a PB (productive burp) and a stuck eopisode.

I think I've experienced several PB's as I learned (and continue to learn) how to chew, chew. chew while taking small, small bites. They are no fun as you get that aweful feeling in the chest followed by a lovely slime kind of spit up. Yuuuccckkkk!!!

Stuck episodes are when we actually throw up? I've had one of those.

Am I right???? :blink:

i think i had a "stuck" yesterday, of all days the first fill post surgery. it just felt like something was just stuck there in my throat and stomache entrance, hahaha.

but i am so glad that i havent had a PB, i would probably be saying YUCK!YUCK! too.

:)

PB'ing is the result of being stuck. When food can't pass through the stoma your body creates slime(flem/saliva) to help the stuck food pass through your esophogus. It takes time and sometimes you can force a burp that dislodges some of the stuck food(along with some slime) and of course you should spit it out. I've never been good at the productive burps. I can spit up some slime and that reduces the pressure in my esophogus but I seldom see any food come up.

tmf

i think i had a "stuck" yesterday' date=' of all days the first fill post surgery. it just felt like something was just stuck there in my throat and stomache entrance, hahaha.

but i am so glad that i havent had a PB, i would probably be saying YUCK!YUCK! too.

:)[/quote']

It's been a month & a week since my surgery. I've lost a total of 16lbs. I sometimes weigh & I've gained a pound back. But the next day I eat lighter & walk 30 minutes. That gets it plus another pound off the next couple days. I got my first post op fill last week. Feel kinda the same. Except I now have pain on left side if I overeat. So that's incentive to cut down. Overeating for me now is a 400 cal. frozen meal.

I've only experienced the painful burp & the full feeling in my throat. I have not burped up any liquid or thrown up yet.

Did you guys ever think you'd be talking to strangers about "productive burps," "saliva / phlem," and throwing up? LOL

You gotta admit we have a great bond! :D

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

PB'ing is the result of being stuck. When food can't pass through the stoma your body creates slime(flem/saliva) to help the stuck food pass through your esophogus. It takes time and sometimes you can force a burp that dislodges some of the stuck food(along with some slime) and of course you should spit it out. I've never been good at the productive burps. I can spit up some slime and that reduces the pressure in my esophogus but I seldom see any food come up.

tmf

well said! When I get stuck it hurts in the center/middle of my chest and then my mouth begins to Water or salivate and then the slime starts and then I PB and then sometimes I will eventually throw it all up, not always but sometimes. It's not pretty and not fun.

well said! When I get stuck it hurts in the center/middle of my chest and then my mouth begins to Water or salivate and then the slime starts and then I PB and then sometimes I will eventually throw it all up' date=' not always but sometimes. It's not pretty and not fun.[/quote']

My doc says that's not supposed to happen. That ur band is too tight & it should be adjusted.

My doc says that's not supposed to happen. That ur band is too tight & it should be adjusted.

That can be the case, but more often than not the person just took too big of a bite or possibly didn't chew enough. Or, they tried to eat a food that just doesn't agree with them anymore.

Oh Missy above is right, I do know what I did wrong, a too big of a bite or didn't chew well. I'm only 5 mos post op and still learning my band and learning how to eat properly. It's a hard habit to break after eating they way we did prior to surgery for so many years or so it is for me at least, speaking for myself. I either let myself get too hungry and get in a hurry and take big bites and before you know it I swallow and oops, I'm stuck!

Still learning

Donna