Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post - 5 days post-op

We were banded on the same day. I have not had any pain but it did feel like someone punched me in the stomach on the first day post op. They were insistant that I needed the PCA but I never used the meds. I get sick with most narcotics.

I have been sleeping on my right side with a pillow under my stomach so I am not laying completely on my stomach. I also tried a pillow under my back and that helped too. My biggest problem is that I was sooooo weak that I could hardly stand up. I emailed the dietician last night and told her what was happening. She let me advance to full liquids this afternoon and I felt better in a mattter of hours. I might even try to work tomorrow for a few hours.

How much have you lost? I have lost 17lbs which is way more than I ever hoped for in 5 days. I am sure that some is muscle but I'll get it back.

I have to figure out how to get my ticker going too.

Good luck.

i slept in a recliner for about the first 4 nights. then i braved it and slept in bed. i too am a leftside sleeper so the first couple of nights i couldnt sleep there, i had to sleep on my rightside or back which was completely wierd. i did borrow one of those little bean pillows from my daughter and sleep with it between my knees and it seems to help quite a bit. i am now almost two weeks out and sleeping isnt a problem so much, but i am still using the bean pillow.

i was on a low carb diet for about two weeks pre op and liquids for four days after surgery. right now i am on soft Proteins for a month until my first fill. the choices are pretty boring right now but i do realize things will get better and i just need to do it and stick to the rules.

good luck to you. keep us updated on your progress.

peggy

Hi Donna,

SEW are my initials and yes, I do sew... counted cross stitch, candlewicking, and needlepoint but all that has been tabled while I finish my degree. I work full-time as an RN.

It's post-op day 6 for me and my belly is bruised, incisions (6) are healing, but I'm still uncomfortable bending and sleep flat on my back. I took pain medication the first 3 nights to sleep but now only take tylenol at night and nothing during the day.

I'm condemned to full fluids for another 8-9 days and have a hard time getting all the "food" in. When I wake up in the AM, my stomach is gurgling like crazy and I'm full after an 8 oz Protein Drink. I called the dietician yesterday and she said I could substitute one medifast shake for 2 oz of lite ricotta cheese. I did that this AM and feel better.

What I am discovering is how strong an emotional addiction I have to food. For example, when I prepare dinner for my family, I am not hungry but just seeing and smelling "real" food ignites those cravings. I take a few sips of Water to feel full and avoid the temptation to taste.

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and hope I can do as well as you have. I have no idea how much weight I lost because I don't have my first weigh-in until 4/14 at my pre-op visit. I lost 23 pounds before the actual surgery and gained 5 the morning after it. I am not sure what is considered your "starting" weight but I am assuming it's the weight you are prior to going into the OR.

Elisabeth ;)

We were banded on the same day. I have not had any pain but it did feel like someone punched me in the stomach on the first day post op. They were insistant that I needed the PCA but I never used the meds. I get sick with most narcotics.

I have been sleeping on my right side with a pillow under my stomach so I am not laying completely on my stomach. I also tried a pillow under my back and that helped too. My biggest problem is that I was sooooo weak that I could hardly stand up. I emailed the dietician last night and told her what was happening. She let me advance to full liquids this afternoon and I felt better in a mattter of hours. I might even try to work tomorrow for a few hours.

How much have you lost? I have lost 17lbs which is way more than I ever hoped for in 5 days. I am sure that some is muscle but I'll get it back.

I have to figure out how to get my ticker going too.

Good luck.

Hi mwillis,

Congratulations on your great progress. If you figure out how to make the ticker thing, let me know because I have no idea. I'll know how much weight I lost when I see the surgeon for my post-op appt. on 4/14. As for sleeping, I'm still flat on my back as it's too sore still to lie on either side.

Elisabeth

i slept in a recliner for about the first 4 nights. then i braved it and slept in bed. i too am a leftside sleeper so the first couple of nights i couldnt sleep there, i had to sleep on my rightside or back which was completely wierd. i did borrow one of those little bean pillows from my daughter and sleep with it between my knees and it seems to help quite a bit. i am now almost two weeks out and sleeping isnt a problem so much, but i am still using the bean pillow.

i was on a low carb diet for about two weeks pre op and liquids for four days after surgery. right now i am on soft Proteins for a month until my first fill. the choices are pretty boring right now but i do realize things will get better and i just need to do it and stick to the rules.

good luck to you. keep us updated on your progress.

peggy

Hi Donna,

It's interesting to see how differently the diets are prescribed. It felt like such a treat to be allowed to consume some lite ricotta cheese this morning. Because I hate yogurt, the dietician allowed me the ricotta cheese which is normally a week 3 post-op "soft" food. I had 2 oz and that gave me 8 g of Protein. The medifast shakes have 11-12 g.

My next treat will be being able to sleep on my side. LOL.

Elisabeth