Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Cycling- An Experiment Gone Right!

I've been considering this technique ever since I saw CP on Dr. Oz last week. I am new to lapband (banded 9/8/12) and am still leary to eat any kind of carb. Especially toast/bread. Now that I see all you having good results, I think I'm going to try it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using LapBandTalk

See that's so funny, because I'm just the opposite. The high carb days are a breeze for me but I struggle with the low carb ones big time. Just getting in enough calories on the low carb days is hard. It's just so filling and I have no appetite.

I agree about the band. I don't even attempt solid foods in the morning, I'm way too tight when I first wake up. By lunch I'm fine, but for Breakfast I just have a Protein Shake.

What's weird is this: If I take a nap during the day, when I wake up, I'm super tight again. I've missed countless dinners because I took a late nap and couldn't eat when I woke up.

Maybe it has something to do with the sleeping that it allows the muscles to relax and contract.

I've been considering this technique ever since I saw CP on Dr. Oz last week. I am new to lapband (banded 9/8/12) and am still leary to eat any kind of carb. Especially toast/bread. Now that I see all you having good results, I think I'm going to try it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using LapBandTalk

It can't hurt to try! It's like I tell people all the time, the only way you can find out what works best for your own body is to experiment. Some do great on strictly low carbs, others do fine eating tons of carbs. Everyone's body and metabolism does well under different circumstances, the trick is finding the best one for you.

How are you all doing with your fat content on a high carb day? With dinner still left to be had today I am at 13g. I know the goal is to keep the fat content low on high carb days.

Here is where I am at so far without having dinner. I believe my Wife is planning bone pork chop a veggie and small starch for dinner.

Jim, on high carb day I usually am getting in anywhere between 18-25 grams of fat. On low carb day its usually anywhere between 25-35. One day I think I pulled in almost 40, but it was just the one day. I know I still have to adjust the carbs (its only been a week for me)

I found a listing of Low Carb Foods....

Proteins

Most Proteins come from animal sources and are extremely low in carbohydrates. It's important to exercise some care in choosing processed meats such as hot dogs and sausages. Try to select processed meats with no added sugar and less than two grams of carbohydrates per serving, and overall try to limit intake of processed meats. Instead select Protein sources like the following:

• Poultry
  • Beef
  • Lamb
  • Pork products
  • Seafood
  • Eggs
  • Game meats
  • Unsweetened whey protein

Dairy

Most full-fat dairy is low in carbohydrates; however, you should limit quantities to one to two ounces daily.

• Heavy cream
  • Full-fat cheeses
  • Butter
  • Full-fat sour cream
  • Cream cheese

Vegetables

You can eat most vegetables in relatively unlimited amounts on a low-carbohydrate diet plan. It's best to avoid or minimize starchier vegetables, such as carrots, turnips, beets, peas and corn. Limit quantities if indicated below:

• Leafy greens
  • Cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli (in moderate amounts)
  • Summer squashes such as zucchini and yellow squash
  • Artichokes
  • Peppers
  • Onions (1/2 small onion)
  • Sprouts
  • Celery
  • Mushrooms
  • Asparagus
  • Green beans
  • Jicama
  • Sea vegetables
  • Leeks
  • Eggplant
  • Spaghetti squash
  • Pumpkin
  • Fruits

Limited amounts of fruit can be part of a healthy low-carb diet plan. Limit daily intake if indicated:
    • Strawberries (one to two ounces)
    • Blueberries (one to two ounces)
    • Blackberries (one to two ounces)
    • Cantaloupe (one to two ounces)
    • Rhubarb
    • Peaches (1/2 peach)
    • Nectarines (1/2 nectarine)
    • Avocado
    • Tomatoes
    • Squeeze of lemon or lime juice
    • Olives (one to two ounces)

Nuts and Seeds

Nuts and seeds are great snack foods for low-carb diet plans; however, quantity matters. Limit daily intake to one to two ounces unless indicated otherwise. All nuts should be either raw or dry roasted, and beware of honey-roasted products or those that contain other added sugar.

• Flax seed (two tablespoons)
    • Chia
    • Sunflower seeds
    • Cashews
    • Peanuts
    • Almonds
    • Unsweetened coconut (or coconut milk)
    • Macadamia nuts
    • Walnuts
    • Pecans
    • Pine nuts
    • Pistachios
    • Nut butter (one tablespoon)

Herbs and Spices

Herbs and spices are generally low-carbohydrate foods. Limit to one or two tablespoons. Below is a partial list of low-carbohydrate herbs and spices:

• Basil
    • Oregano
    • Rosemary
    • Thyme
    • Garlic
    • Pepper
    • Cumin
    • Chili powder
    • Turmeric
    • Tarragon

Fats

Pure fats contain no carbohydrates. Consider one of these options:

• Butter
    • Olive oil
    • Walnut oil
    • Coconut oil
    • Fish oil

sauces and Condiments

If you use them in limited amounts, a number of jarred sauces can be part of a low-carbohydrate diet. Limit quantities if indicated below. Check for added sugar and avoid those that have sugar in any form.

• Salsa (1/4 cup)
    • Marinara sauce (1/4 cup)
    • Hot sauce (two tablespoons)
    • Broth (two cups)
    • Mayonnaise (two tablespoons)
    • Salad dressing (two tablespoons)
    • Mustard (two teaspoons)
    • Tartar sauce (two tablespoons)
    • Vine gars

Libations

Limited amounts of alcoholic beverages can be part of a low-carbohydrate diet. It is important to note that the body processes alcohol differently than other nutrients, and this can cause blood sugar to be erratic. Limit alcohol intake to occasional drinks, and limit quantities as suggested below. Beware of mixers, which often contain high levels of sugar and carbohydrates.

• Dry white wine (three ounces)
    • Dry red wine (three ounces)
    • Low-carbohydrate beer such as Michelob Ultra (one beer)
    • Hard liquor such as whiskey or vodka (one shot)

Thank you for this..im thinking of trying it...my scale isnt moving !!

Just finished logging in for today, my low carb day

1,002 calories

38g of carbs

53g of fat

94g of Protein

Hope I did alright...

I went over my my 50g of fat limit...

Im just adding my two cents here. If you all wanted to diet why have the band. Why not let your band do what it's supposed to do. What happens when you quit the carb cycling you will gain weight back. Fast weight loss is not the idea of the band. The slower you lose the more easier it is to maintain and not gain back. Get your fills, eat Portion Control of everything because in order for your body to work properly you need Protein, carbs and healthy fats. I just think your setting yourself up to fail here with this. Just my two cents but I think I have been banded long enough to know better. You all want to lose it fast and 1 its not healthy 2 diet gimmicks failed us before 3 why do you want to lose weight fast. When you stop the carb cycling you will be back to square one. You can not maintain weight loss doing this unless you do it forever which is not healthy. I have spoken. No bashing please Im just giving my opinion that's all

I hear what your saying Cheryl...

Im thinking of giving it a try because I have been doing portion control....keeping cal inder 1000 and exercizing and im stuck at 100 down...I think my body needs a kick in the butt......

well I think its fine temporarily but only a few weeks and no more then that. Fast weight loss causes problems believe me I know. You want to lose slow not fast in any weight loss.

Im just adding my two cents here. If you all wanted to diet why have the band. Why not let your band do what it's supposed to do. What happens when you quit the carb cycling you will gain weight back. Fast weight loss is not the idea of the band. The slower you lose the more easier it is to maintain and not gain back. Get your fills, eat Portion Control of everything because in order for your body to work properly you need Protein, carbs and healthy fats. I just think your setting yourself up to fail here with this. Just my two cents but I think I have been banded long enough to know better. You all want to lose it fast and 1 its not healthy 2 diet gimmicks failed us before 3 why do you want to lose weight fast. When you stop the carb cycling you will be back to square one. You can not maintain weight loss doing this unless you do it forever which is not healthy. I have spoken. No bashing please Im just giving my opinion that's all

Because the reality is, you do have to watch what you eat to lose weight, band or not band. There is no difference between us carb cycling and so many on here on low carb all the time. I see TONS of posts about low carb bandsters, they can't have bread, can't have Pasta, etc. That's fine if that's what works for them. This is no different.

It's called maximizing your food intake, in a healthy manner, to help your metabolism be at it's most effective. Stopping carb cycling won't make you stop losing nor will it result in gaining. You may go back to a plateau or you may lose slower, but again, that's no different than everyone doing low carb.

And actually, you can maintain weight loss with calorie control, regardless of what you did to lose the weight as long as it was done in a healthy manner. This isn't drugs or some fad, nor is it a gimmick, this is about making the most out of what you consume. We're losing weight eating healthy food- nothing else.

You're free to do what you like and lose as slow as you like, that's your right. However, I want this weight gone and I will take whatever healthy steps I can take to get rid it of as quickly and efficiently as I can.

Interesting.... but why would you gain weight back unless you overate. I eat around 1200 calories. I started the carb cycling and am still eating around 1200 calories on my high carb days and around 1000 on the low carb days. I am trying to incorporate band rules with the carb cycling. Hmmmmmmm food for thought?

And really.... if I can't eat ice cream and Peanut Butter cups... anyway you look at it (carb cycling or band rules).... it's a diet.

I do understand what you're saying. Not quite sure what I think yet of carb cycling, but gonna try it for a while. It's relativly simple.