Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just another newbie!

I'm just starting on my journey to weightloss for GOOD. I've dieted the same 10 pounds off about a million times the past 10 years. Once I even lost 37lbs but gained it back in 3 years. No surprise there, huh? :D I need something that will be with me 24/7 and remind me to keep it short and simple, in other words no elaborate meals or snacking. I have a heart problem so that's something I want to take care of. I feel that if I lose enough weight that my heart will last me a longer time before surgery. Well, here I go.........! :P

Welcome Laura: You've come to the right spot. This board is chuck full of wonderful and interesting folks. The information is plentiful and oh so useful. Gabby

Thank you! Members of my family are sceptical right now and the more I know the more I can tell them. I want their support but can and will go on without it if need be. Thank you for welcoming me!

Hi Laura! Welcome!

I'm in the beginning stages myself. I met my surgeon last week and now I'm going thru all my tests.

I've found that people respond better to the idea if you have done your research. It's hard to shut-down someone's ideas if they've obviously given them a lot of thought and effort!

I thought it would be an uphill battle and that I would have to justify my decision every step of the way, but I was wrong! Everyone (from medical field to family) have been very supportive!

And this board is terriffic!

Best of luck!

Debra

Debra, I think what hurt the most was my mom rolling her eyes when I started telling her about the lapband. Yesterday we went out for 'Nanny's day out' <what we call my mom> and I had one plate with meat/veggies and it wasn't loaded then I took a plate and got about 1 spoon full of 4 Desserts, which I didn't finish off. Then she looked at me and said 'you going to get another plate?' with a look that said 'I know you are'. Well, I didn't eat any more than her skinny behind. She's skinny because she had 60% of her stomach removed years back because of ulcers. No matter what we do, we MO people are perceived to be fat pigs that can't control themselves. But alcoholics are 'sick' and get all the help they can. Anorexics are 'sick' and get help. Insurance helps them and employers have programs set up for their 'illness'. Well, they have the same choices that we do: to drink that alcohol or not eat same as we have a choice to eat more. Ok, my soapbox is getting a good workout!! Sorry. :D