Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody go to Dr. Spivak?

I was banded on 3/13/06 by Dr. Spivak in Houston. He said to come in for a fill in 30 days. Does he just automatically do a fill? I lost about 10 pounds the first week but now I'm having a hard time just keeping it off. A friend of mine who goes to him said she didn't think he gives a fill if you have lost weight. There's no way I'm going to be able to hang on if I continue to be this hungry. Any feedback would be appreciated.

i too used spivak. he does not put anything in your band until the 30 days so you are doing this with no restriction. only because your stomach was swollen. he filled me at 24 days the first fill . i had lost 7 lbs. today i went for the 2nd fill after 3 weeks. i can really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tell the difference this time. it is like night and day. you don't even want to eat.

donna

i am form livingston where are you from?

Hey Kathy!! How have you been?!!

I am at the same place you are. I lost ten, and now it is creeping back. I scheduled my followup/fill for april 12 at the surgicenter. I had to go see the nurse at the office yesterday(tiny bit of infection in one of the small incisions), and she told me that i can incorporate solids, as long as i chew really well, and stop eating as soon as i feel the fullness. i felt the fullness for sure, but i am still pretty hungry. Today was better as far as hunger.

Hang in there sister! I am confident that the good doc will fill us soon!!

Hey Roni!

I guess I need to call the office to go ahead and schedule my fill. Why does it have to be done at the surgicenter? My biggest problem right now is that I don't have any time to eat during the day. I teach 4th grade and I only have 20 minutes for lunch. I've still been sticking pretty close to Protein Shakes and Soup. I did get up extra early so I could have some scrambled eggs this morning. If the nurse told you to start some solids I guess it's ok for me too. I'll try it out this week end and see how it goes.

Hi Kathy,

Dr. Spivak is my surgeon also. He does the fills at the SurgeryCenter so he can do them under the flouro machine.

I don't see why he won't fill you after 30 days. Never heard of him not doing that.

If you need anything, feel free to get ahold of me!

Best of Luck to ya!

I use Dr Spivak and go for my first fill on Thursday at the SurgiCenter. I've lost 21 lbs but am really struggling with the hunger. I sure hope he gives me a BIG fill!

Graceysnema,

I think you and I had our first fill from Dr. Spivak on the same day. I remember a lady from Livingston who had lost 7 pounds. I think it was March 9th. I went before you and told you it was painless. Does that ring a bell with you?

To the question about Dr. Spivak's fills.....

Since Dr. Spivak fills with the fluoroscope (sp?), he fills you as much as possible. My first fill was 3/9 and I got 1.7cc. He put in 2cc and I was completely blocked (it showed on the screen). Then he removed .3cc so the liquid would trickle through. Since it looked good, he left me at 1.7cc. I felt a little restriction the first few days, but after that I was starving again. At 3 weeks I went back for my 2nd fill. His assistant first removed my previous saline and I only had .7cc left in my band. She said that happens sometimes between the first and second fills. It's like it just absorbs into the band. She did the same thing Dr. Spivak had done and put in 2cc. I was blocked again, so she removed .3cc. It looked good so she left me at 1.7cc. I really can tell a difference now. I'm not starving all the time. However, now I'm really having to learn how to eat. Eat slow and chew!! I can't eat in the mornings, which had never been a problem before. This is a daily learning experience. I had only lost 1 pound from my surgery until my 2nd fill. Now I've lost about 5 more pounds in 5 days. I hope I've helped you a little. Good Luck

Hey Kathy!!

I do not know how I missed these posts. I scheduled my first fill week before last, the schedule was really full. I was able to schedule on April 12, but I know that the schedule is still full. They told me to make sure that, in the future, I call as soon as I have indication that I need a fill.

As far as eating in the amount of time you have for lunch...the nurses told me to stop eating after 20 minutes...regardless of what is left on my plate. That is easier said than done. I have a job where I can sit at my desk and eat while I work. I usually eat one chicken strip for lunch, with a spoonful of cooked veggie, and an ounce of dressing to dip the chicken into. (I work next door to a Golden Coral...cheesy, I know, but you CAN eat cheap there. $1-$1.50/day.)

Well, Kathy, did you schedule the fill for the 27th? I know I read someone had scheduled then, was it you? GOSH-I wish I had told you to schedule earlier...I knew I should have sent you a message. ((kicking self))

Take care Kathy, we will talk later!

Thanks AngieO for all the great info. I didn't know about absorbing the saline after the first fill. Roni, I did schedule my fill for April 27. I have adjusted to the idea and I'm doing my best to be good with my eating. It seems like Dr. Spivak had told me in January when I had my first consultation that he would be on vacation in April. That might be why his schedule is so full this month. I've decided to be pro-active and not sulk over waiting for my fill. I bougt a new pair of tennis shoes today and I'm going to start coming home and walking every day after work, before I get too comfortable in the house. Thanks for all the posts from everyone.

When I called and made my appointment, they offered April 6 and said that was it until April 27. The nurse said he was booked up until April 27 because he was on vacation. Anyone else going in on April 6?

Hey Ms. Vickie,

I just saw your post today. How did your fill go yesterday? I am going on the 27th.

My fill went very well. Just a slight pinch and that was it. The whole process took less than 5 minutes. I was rather disappointed that he only put in 1.5cc. I have a#10 band. I don't feel any more restricted than before the fill, but the nurse (Brenda) said sometimes it takes a few days for it to "kick in". She also said sometimes you can lose inches without losing lbs. Remember: this is a SLOW process, which is a good thing because the weight is easier to keep off AND you skin adjusts easier. About 1-2 lbs per week is all you should expect. I get very impatient and want the scales to move faster. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Have a very blessed week.

Hey there Ms. Vicki! I used Dr. Spivak and they always tell me to go on liquids for about 48 hours after a fill and to give the restriction a couple of days to appear. Right now I have 1.7cc but I was up to 2.0cc and I couldn't even get scrambled eggs down! That little bit helped alot. The only thing that I can't get down now is beef, chicken maybe. I have turned into a soupaholic! :) And definitely NO bread for me...absolutely not!!! :) That hurts!

Good Luck!

Hi Kathy,

I've been able to get down EVERYTHING I have tried, including scrambled eggs, brisket and bread (which I stay away from). I've only had one PB and no other problems. BUT, even with only 1.5 cc, I get full easily and stay that way for several hours. I'm doing really good right now and feeling better than I have in a bazillion years! Thanks for the response!