Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plication With Lapband Question!

Hi all!

I just had my consultation and got my surgery date for a regular lapband! (Novemmber 12th!!) The doctor also reccommend adding plication and I was curious about anyone who had done so already and their feelings about it. He said it will help with slippage and make for a greater weight loss and less fills. As a young- self pay patient, slippage is a big concern. Any feedback would be great! :)

Thanks again!

Mandy

i got this done in june and couldnt be more pleased

it helps me feel fuller and i like knowing something is helping me get healthy.

my dr said the same about helping with slippage, less fills and can help aid with weight loss.

but he stressed i have to help both procedures. so far so good.

all the best ms mandy

@Carolinagirl thank you so much for your comments! :) I didn't know much about it when my doctor brought it up, but from what I hear it sounds like a good idea. Have you had to have any fills yet?? & what did you mean by you have to help both procedures? Thanks again :)

@Carolinagirl thank you so much for your comments! :) I didn't know much about it when my doctor brought it up, but from what I hear it sounds like a good idea. Have you had to have any fills yet?? & what did you mean by you have to help both procedures? Thanks again :)

not a problem mandy. sorry i didnt see this until now.

no fills yet. not sure when i will get one.

by both procedures,i meant the band and plication together.

anything else, just let me know, i will try to help if i can :)

Is the band with plication basically the same as the sleeve? Why wouldnt one just get the sleeve done instead? Just curious? Cgrl any thoughts?

It's like a sleeve but is reversible. They don't cut away the stomach, just section it off and band the other part. I'm only 20 years old and don't like the idea of cutting my away my stomach & being self pay its a lot more expensive to get a sleeve.

Is the band with plication basically the same as the sleeve? Why wouldnt one just get the sleeve done instead? Just curious? Cgrl any thoughts?

like mandy says, there is no cutting involved (and i did not want to do the bypass for that reason.) also the sleeve was not something my insurance approved so even if i wanted that, it was a no go.

i like knowing (my insides are not cut). granted things happen but if one follows their dr's orders (and watches their bodies for complication signs) (and doing their follow up with their doctor) and do what it takes by eating better (healthier and moving) there is no reason what ever WLS anyone gets can and will be successful. its up to the person having want power. (i dont believe in will power). you have to want to change and help your tool to succeed. just my thoughts.

I am 14 months out from Band w/ Plication and I can tell you it was the best decision I have ever made. I've had zero complications, no stuck episodes, (well, one time romaine lettuce gave me an issue but it was my own fault!) I do have fill in (Approx 6-6.5cc, as he primed it with 4.5 cc during surgery I found out later.) I'm almost to the goal my nutritionist set for me and then I would like to lose 15 more lbs to get to what *I* set as my goal weight.

Good luck, you won't regret it!

I am 14 months out from Band w/ Plication and I can tell you it was the best decision I have ever made. I've had zero complications, no stuck episodes, (well, one time romaine lettuce gave me an issue but it was my own fault!) I do have fill in (Approx 6-6.5cc, as he primed it with 4.5 cc during surgery I found out later.) I'm almost to the goal my nutritionist set for me and then I would like to lose 15 more lbs to get to what *I* set as my goal weight.

Good luck, you won't regret it!

ok divulge.....tell me about the romaine lettuce...this i gotta know :)

oh it's nothing too funny...I was eating dinner with a group and everyone was talking, etc. I don't know what happened, but I just took a bite of my salad and you know how romaine lettuce has those thicker "edges" on the backside..I didn't chew it enough and swallowed the darn thing nearly whole. Ugh! Once it was heading down, I knew it wasn't gonna be good. So I did the only other worse thing I could do, I quickly took a drink of my ice Water.... and within a few seconds found myself running to the bathroom. I made it...barely. That was my only instance with anything stuck.

Honestly, I am very lucky in that I truly do not have to take tiny bites, I can eat pretty much normally. I can't imagine taking an eraser size bite as I see some on here do. I just eat normally, chew chew chew and all is well.

I am so happy with this surgery.

Carolina I didn't realize you've never had a fill. Did you get immediate restriction or how do you do that? I'm at about 4.5 ccs and finally feel like I'm in the green zone but haven't lost as much as I'd hoped to at this point (I know it'll come though) so I'm just amazed and happy for you.

oh it's nothing too funny...I was eating dinner with a group and everyone was talking' date=' etc. I don't know what happened, but I just took a bite of my salad and you know how romaine lettuce has those thicker "edges" on the backside..I didn't chew it enough and swallowed the darn thing nearly whole. Ugh! Once it was heading down, I knew it wasn't gonna be good. So I did the only other worse thing I could do, I quickly took a drink of my ice water.... and within a few seconds found myself running to the bathroom. I made it...barely. That was my only instance with anything stuck.

Honestly, I am very lucky in that I truly do not have to take tiny bites, I can eat pretty much normally. I can't imagine taking an eraser size bite as I see some on here do. I just eat normally, chew chew chew and all is well.

I am so happy with this surgery.[/quote']

Just wondering if you were nervous at all about any unknown long term effects.. Such as dying tissue in the fold? Just curious as it is an option to me too... My date is coming

Up and I'm just a bit nervous:s

I have not been too concerned about it. I trust my surgeon, and like I said, my surgeon was one of the original surgeons involved in the clinical trials of the plication with the band. I'm not naive enough to think that there couldn't be complications with any of the 3 surgeries I had at the same time I had my lap band surgery either. (I had a large hiatal hernia repair, my gallbladder removed, the lap band placed and a plication done, all at the same time.) But so far, I haven't had a single complication and I don't anticipate anything in the future. I am far more worried about ME failing the band/plication than the band/plication failing ME, if that makes sense.

That said, it's really a personal decision. I do know that I very rarely..if ever..feel hungry. I never went through the "bandster hell" I have read about etc. It's just been the absolute best thing I've ever done. Ask your surgeon as many questions as you can, because there really isn't a ton of information yet on this online. I looked and in the end, trusted my surgeon to help lead me in the right direction.

Good luck!

Just wondering if you were nervous at all about any unknown long term effects.. Such as dying tissue in the fold? Just curious as it is an option to me too... My date is coming

Up and I'm just a bit nervous:s

I forgot that I had found this video in my research. It's a graphic video of the surgery, but it does show exactly what is being done in a lap band with plication. It is hard to find information on the internet about our procedure so this was very interesting to me!

I forgot that I had found this video in my research. It's a graphic video of the surgery' date=' but it does show exactly what is being done in a lap band with plication. It is hard to find information on the internet about our procedure so this was very interesting to me!

Thank you! My husband says go for it but my personality type is to go with the known, not a risk taker lol. I talk with my surgeon again today, hopefully he can help me make the right choice!