Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plication With Lapband Question!

oh it's nothing too funny...I was eating dinner with a group and everyone was talking, etc. I don't know what happened, but I just took a bite of my salad and you know how romaine lettuce has those thicker "edges" on the backside..I didn't chew it enough and swallowed the darn thing nearly whole. Ugh! Once it was heading down, I knew it wasn't gonna be good. So I did the only other worse thing I could do, I quickly took a drink of my ice water.... and within a few seconds found myself running to the bathroom. I made it...barely. That was my only instance with anything stuck.

Honestly, I am very lucky in that I truly do not have to take tiny bites, I can eat pretty much normally. I can't imagine taking an eraser size bite as I see some on here do. I just eat normally, chew chew chew and all is well.

I am so happy with this surgery.

gonna call you lettuce from now on LOL

glad you are okay my darling

Carolina I didn't realize you've never had a fill. Did you get immediate restriction or how do you do that? I'm at about 4.5 ccs and finally feel like I'm in the green zone but haven't lost as much as I'd hoped to at this point (I know it'll come though) so I'm just amazed and happy for you.

well, the plication is the shape of a small baby banana the dr said and can only hold about 4 oz. (so right from the start) i could not eat alot. (i did not try either as i was/am too scared) to stretch my stomach or the sutures or even risk stretching the band area. i take his cautions seriously.

dr said alittle Fluid was put into my band at surgery. i have no idea how much until we do the first fill. so i do have (some restriction). but i eat like i have total restriction. i make myself stop at 1 cup (and do not push it or eat longer than 20 min)....i get full very quick.

thank you for the nice words. i so appreciate that :)

i also think larger people can lose quicker at the beginning than someone who doesnt have as large bmi as some. (which was me).

you are doing great. so proud of you.

well' date=' the plication is the shape of a small baby banana the dr said and can only hold about 4 oz. (so right from the start) i could not eat alot. (i did not try either as i was/am too scared) to stretch my stomach or the sutures or even risk stretching the band area. i take his cautions seriously.

dr said alittle Fluid was put into my band at surgery. i have no idea how much until we do the first fill. so i do have (some restriction). but i eat like i have total restriction. i make myself stop at 1 cup (and do not push it or eat longer than 20 min)....i get full very quick.

thank you for the nice words. i so appreciate that :)

i also think larger people can lose quicker at the beginning than someone who doesnt have as large bmi as some. (which was me).

you are doing great. so proud of you.[/quote']

What was your bmi if you don't mind me asking? I am kind of leaning towards the plication as my dr doesn't do both... If you would have had to choose which one do you think you would have picked? I have a lower bmi too so I'm trying to decide which would be best ( have to make my decision in the next couple if days). I too worry about the possible stretching however I've seen people stretch no matter what the wls, my aunt put most if her wieght back on and she had the bypass:( wierd cause there are not many people in the plication forum, way more support on the lb forum. So here I am on the lb forum trying to search out those that have had plication lol.. Sigh...

What was your bmi if you don't mind me asking? I am kind of leaning towards the plication as my dr doesn't do both... If you would have had to choose which one do you think you would have picked? I have a lower bmi too so I'm trying to decide which would be best ( have to make my decision in the next couple if days). I too worry about the possible stretching however I've seen people stretch no matter what the wls, my aunt put most if her wieght back on and she had the bypass:( wierd cause there are not many people in the plication forum, way more support on the lb forum. So here I am on the lb forum trying to search out those that have had plication lol.. Sigh...

my bmi was in the mid 60's

now i am in high 40's

i never heard of the plication until my surgeon suggested it to me. he knew how much i wanted this surgery to make myself well and felt this would aid me. (he is most pleased with my strict following guidelines)

i did not want the bypass so i opted for something i was comfortable with. that being said, my dr stressed heavily, that if i did not change my eating

habits and me moving/exercising, the loss would be slow if not at all. its only a tool. i have to help it by eating better and do what i can exercise wise.

i am thinking some are saying this is the new sleeve and i will lose a million pounds overnight. not so. its a day by day thing. it makes me feel full on smaller amounts but i still gotta work at it. you will find i dont bs around when it comes to procedures and i only reference what i know and what my dr advised me. what works for me, may not work for someone else.

if you want it, go for it.

behind you whatever you choose.

but whichever you choose, you gotta work it.

What was your bmi if you don't mind me asking? I am kind of leaning towards the plication as my dr doesn't do both... If you would have had to choose which one do you think you would have picked? I have a lower bmi too so I'm trying to decide which would be best ( have to make my decision in the next couple if days). I too worry about the possible stretching however I've seen people stretch no matter what the wls' date=' my aunt put most if her wieght back on and she had the bypass:( wierd cause there are not many people in the plication forum, way more support on the lb forum. So here I am on the lb forum trying to search out those that have had plication lol.. Sigh...[/quote']

I had the same fears you do! Nervous about the risks and questioning if its more complicated. After speaking with my Doctor and Primary care Physician, they both recommended it and it really is becoming the new way of banding. My biggest reasoning for it is that it helps with slippage, and if anything happens & your band has to come out, then you at least have the plication to help you control your weight. As well, since you are already going under anesthesia and being opened up its much better to do it then rather than doing it at another time. Hope you make the decision that is right for you! Good luck in your journey.

Well I decided on the plication, but he won't do the band as well. Oh we'll I e made up my mind and am excited! I made the mistake of looking in the sleeves forum ( because barely anyone is on the plication forum) what a mistake that was. Such horror stories and trashing of every other wls that is not the sleeve. Had anxiety all night then. I'm just gonna delet that app, I was literally sick to my stomach. Hope the people here don't mind if I stay on for support even though I'm getting the plication!

Well I decided on the plication, but he won't do the band as well. Oh we'll I e made up my mind and am excited! I made the mistake of looking in the sleeves forum ( because barely anyone is on the plication forum) what a mistake that was. Such horror stories and trashing of every other wls that is not the sleeve. Had anxiety all night then. I'm just gonna delet that app, I was literally sick to my stomach. Hope the people here don't mind if I stay on for support even though I'm getting the plication!

ok girl........so what you dont get the band......SO WHAT

work with what you do get and GO FOR IT

with all you got. no excuses. no turning back.

you got this-if you want it..

ok girl........so what you dont get the band......SO WHAT

work with what you do get and GO FOR IT

with all you got. no excuses. no turning back.

you got this-if you want it..

Thank you Carolina! So nice to hear this. A person can feel a little alone at times

Lol:)

I was banded on 9/7/12 with plication and was told by my surgeon it would help me stay full longer, therefore lose more weight.

He explained to me that the pts that choose to get the plication lose more weight then just the LapBand. I weighed 232lbs at the time of surgery and down to 211lbs and it hasn't quit been two months.

Best Wishes with your surgery.

Work with what you got! We are with you every step of the way!

Thank you cheznoel! And for the record I did venture back

Into the sleeve forum too for recipe ideas and it was good lol just gotta watch what I'm asking about. I suppose being

Passionate about what you have is not a bad things as long as its not dumping

On what someone else has:) thank you all for your support:)