Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Down After First Fill

I'm feeling discouraged after my first fill last wednesday (5 days). At the fill appt the doc filled the band and asked me to drink some Water, well I felt it come up to my throat so he removed some Fluid and I drank again. This time it kinda went up but not much so he took more. He left me with 2cc. After the fill I felt like there was no change from before the fill. I called the docs office and the nurse said to give it a week to adjust to regular food. I'm eating and not feeling full, I'm even eating SECONDS! that the heck :( I dont know what is the right amount but I'm thinking I need an adjustment. I dont want to continue with this cycle from the past!!

Has anyone experienced what I am going through?

Me! Me! Me! I just got my first fill today, and I can already tell there isn't going to be any restriction. I'm supposed to be on Clear liquids. I had my fill about noon today. He said he put 2 ml in my 4 cc band (what's the difference between a cc and a ml?), but I don't feel any restriction at all. I'm not very good at following direction when I'm not having any symptoms of restriction. I ate some soft serve frozen yogurt, a few bites of steak, some dry Cereal, a plum. I can drink anything and as much as I want, and it looks like food is not going to be a problem either. I just paid him $350 today because I'm a new patient, and follow up fills are $165. I'm pretty bummed.

Laura

I had my 1st fill a week ago and I don't feel a restriction. I have not lost a pound in over a month now. Not sure if this is the way it is supposed to be or not. I have pretty much a full appetitie.

I have 1.25 cc in my band and I feel a little restriction but I can still eat a lot I try to stick to 1 cup but is hard when you are hungry :( anyways im getting discouraged... Btw a cc and a ml is the same thing

I don't know how far some of you are into your new band.You have to be patient.The doc doesn't want to overfill your band.That may cause some issues.If this is new to you.The doc could've punished you by putting way too much into your band.This would cause a whole lot of vomiting and major discomfort.Depending on the maximum fill of your band.Dictates how much you should have at each fill.It may take a while before you get the right amount into your band for maximum effectiveness.(sweet spot).just be patient and keep your doc informed.

What you're feeling/ experiencing is normal, it's hard and I remember having lots if down days because I thought I would have restriction with a few fills. It takes many fills to get the band to where it needs to be. Some people are lucky and only need a few fills others need many more.

The first few fills I felt no different and was hungry all the time and could eat much more than the cup full that was recommended. As I got more and more fills I got more restriction was able to eat less and go longer between meals.

Patience is the key with lapband, this I have had to learn also. Some days I'd say why did you do this to yourself when it feels no different to not having a band. I'm three and a half months out now, have enough fills to have my band working as it should.

So please don't be discourage and understand its a slow process with the fills to get to the green zone and so much easier when you get there.

I had a similar problem at my first fill appt. They added too much and then had to remove some. I felt a little restricted for a few days until the "swelling" went down, but then went to my next appt and had gained a little over a pound. They added more and I noticed a difference this time and at my appt this week, after 3 weeks, I had lost a little over 4 lbs. They added aliitle more and I definitely notice a difference. Last night I think I over ate because I had terrible "gas pains" in my chest and shoulder for about 15 min.

I had my 3rd fill today. Will this be THE FILL that gets me to the green zone? Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to be patient, but it is a process that takes time. Just remember that you'll get there!

If you are not feeling any restriction and you're sort of new with this lapband system.Please be patient.Everyone is different so therefore the results on many of you will vary.The last thing you'd not want is complications from being filled too much.Sometimes less is better and you have to work with this system.If you had wanted a quick trick.The "sleeve" and the Roux n Y" and other techniques would've hastened your weight loss.I applaud each and everyone for taking the more conservative route.Sometimes great things and successful endeavors take time and patience.

Well, As the days went by after I posted this comment,I did notice some little restriction. Mainly I have to remember to eat SLOW and I will have a full feeling. If I eat too fast, I get an ugly full feeling (tightening). I'm happy to say that my start weight was 229lbs and now i'm @ 207 lbs : ) . This coming friday I have an appt for a fill and I made an appt at the office that has an x-ray machine so the doc can fill properly! Thanks to all the advice on Patience, its true. I also am walking 3 miles 4-5 days a week, i think that makes all the difference! luving ya!

I know this sounds crazy but take your first fill of 2cc in stride. I'm glad I went slower to get used to the feeling that you will experience by second or third fill. I needed the time to slowly get used to eating less and less. I know we all want our weight off fast, but you want to be successful, too. Sometimes too fast is not always the best for your body. Good luck:)